🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 336 — NOT Farts and Procreation 4

Hey guys, first time, long time.

Reading everyone's comments, here and on reddit and the a.v.club these last fews days has been really therapeutic and I thought I should contribute and add to all the love.

Like almost everyone else here, I didn't know Harris in real life. But through this podcast and many others he became the funniest motherfucker I've ever heard.

I'm from Paris and I live there. I've been to the US before, the East coast a lot, but only one day in L.A and I didn't get to see any stand up.

I live thousands of miles away from any of my favorite CBB perfomers, I've never seen any of them perform live, and maybe I'll never meet any of them, ever. And yet I cried like a little bitch when I saw his name appear on friday morning at work on my reddit frontpage. And ever since then, a couple times more when I thought about it again, reading condolences online and forums like this one.

When I read Sarah Silverman and Kulap's tweet, Aziz's letter, and thinking about how Scott must be feeling.

I spent the weekend like most of you, re-listening to every Harris appearance on CBB, along with the very difficult YMIW and Maron episodes, and laughing my ass off.

Yesterday I waited until I was home, and alone to listen to the new ep, thank god... Scott's voice completely broke me in the first few seconds. But I thought his intro was amazing. I can't imagine having to do this, especially when he started mentioning the last times he saw Harris which were a few days before, and the date of the recording, just terrible new information. But he powered through and gave us a beautiful tribute to his friend and I felt like such a big weight lifting from me after that was over.

So thank you Scott from the bottom of my heart, I think we all needed you to talk to us, even though it's unfair to ask you to do this, like you mentionned you were sad and didn't even want to continue, but we were all lost and sad but also I think very sad for you. And we needed to hear in your voice that it would be okay somehow if we all laugh together.

And then the episode started and I immediately started laughing very hard. Damn there was so much funny shit in that episode! I thought the ep was fantastic all the way through, so much joy and laughter in that room, so much weirdness and love it was perfect. And the outro, which should have made me cry, made me laugh some more and feel happy.

I will miss Harris terribly but he will always be in my ears when I need it, telling stupid wonderful jokes, rapping in a british accent, doing the Bisco Boys with his bandmates, giving amazing answers to Riddle Me This, and forcing Scott to listen to Phish for hours. What you've given us with these podcasts is incredible, and to see how much people here share my opinion and how many people it's helped during dark times, and made look like idiots in public transportation for bursting out laughing for no apparent reason is fantastic. I'm so grateful for Earwolf and everything you guys put out and I hope you never stop growing, and never stop opening our eyes to amazing talent like Harris'. Without you guys I would've missed out on a wonderful human being.

I have spent hundreds of hours with you guys, and you are like family.

Thank you so much Scott for deciding to release this episode, and thank you everyone involved for making it better than anything I could've hoped for.

Marie from Paris

• Like 11

I only knew of Harris for maybe a year, or a little longer. But as a big podcast and comedy fan, I soon realized how funny he was. As soon as I heard about the Analyze Phish podcast I listened through all the episodes in a couple of days, even though I don't care for the band. I got pretty obsessed with his comedy, and I'm pretty sure I've listented to close to 100% of his podcast appearances.

As a lot of people has mentioned about Harris is the term "humblebrag". I had known about this word for a long time without knowing where it came from. It blew my mind that a relatively unknown comedian, and a guy my age had come up with it. But the fact that humblebrag also was translated into other languages, including my own, Norwegian, shows what an impact he made.

I'm tired of my heroes dying. This time was probably the first time I've lost a hero of mine that was younger than me, which makes it even sadder. I'm thankful for Earwolf for giving me all these hours of Harris Wittels. I'm gonna enjoy them as much as I'll miss him.

• Like 5

I still can't do it. I can't listen. I've tried to click the play button 10x since yesterday and I can't bring myself to do it. I feel like that makes me a bad Earwolfer, and a bad fan. I feel so guilty that I can't just laugh like everyone keeps saying Harris would want. Maybe some of y'all can listen a few more times on my behalf.

But I want to say that as much as all of the Harris tribute threads since Thursday have made me cry, they have also made me very happy. I love this community, I love all my little forum babies. It's really been lovely to watch everyone come together and support each other when things are hard. I wish I could hug every single one of you.

No one thinks you're a "bad Earwolfer." We all understand why you don't want to listen to it. And of course it is 100% your choice whether or not to listen to it. But I think that you should listen to it. Not out of obligation to us, or to Earwolf, or even to Harris.

You should listen because it will make you feel better.

• Like 5

Thank you, Scott, for allowing us to get to know Harris. I think losing him hurts in proportion to the amount of joy he brought us over the years, which is why this felt like such a blow to all of us.

Having one last episode with Harris is a gift, and we're so lucky that it was recorded and you decided to release it. The fact that the episode is a bit of a mess yet everyone is having fun makes it kind of perfect.

Keep bringing joy to a messy world! We need it!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for posting this, Scott. I was literally crying laughing and the closing Harris tribute was perfect. Loved the scheduling talk. There's no such thing as boring when personalities like that are in the room together. You did the right thing, it was good to hear him and laugh with him one more time.

• Like 1

This is one of the funniest episodes I've ever heard. I laughed at every bit. This was the most I've failed to control my laughter in public. Bom Betty killed me. The new TV show killed me. The email scheduling thread ruined me because they hyped it up to be so funny, but the thread not living up to it's hype was even more hilarious to me. Best episode of the year for me.

And oh man, the ending...so beautiful...brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for never failing to make me laugh Harris. Enjoy the ice cream buffet!

• Like 5

I have been struggling with what to say or whether to say anything.

To Harris's family and friends, I am so sorry for your loss.

And thank you, Scott, Brett, July, Ele, and everyone at Earwolf for sharing this. I cried so hard and I laughed so hard. I think it's a really beautiful thing y'all are doing, even if it isn't "serious."

I felt like I knew him, though, of course I didn't. I am really feeling this loss, as I know so many of us are.

Harris, you truly did make us motherfuckers laugh.

• Like 3

When I listened to the beginning on my drive to work Monday morning I was definitely getting misty in the eyes during the intro. Considered shutting it off so I didn't come into work looking like I just ran over a dog, but so glad that I didn't.

To any who are not in the mood to listen to this, as soon as they kick into the episode you stop dwelling on the negative and just enjoy the feast for your ears. Thanks to all involved, thanks Chelsea for strong arming Scotty into releasing it, and thanks Harris for all the laughs

Crreeeak. Slam. Sit. forever

• Like 10

This episode...what a punch in the dick. So, so hilarious and so, so sad.

I like to think Harris was listening from the Corner of Foam in the Sky. (You had me at "foam in this guy".)

• Like 3

I'd like to think Harris is probably chllin out, eating ice creams, listening to Phish, and laying in his own foam corner. I was a big fan of Harris' work without realizing most of the time and he was an incredibly talented person who always made me laugh. He was so successful despite his own struggles, or perhaps because of, and he proved that a person could still be down to earth with success.

Sorry for everyone's loss, and I hope you take comfort in the fact that maybe just maybe....Harris can suck his own dick in heaven. I think that's what we all want in the end.

• Like 2

Here's the thing about this episode. Even if you take away all of the context surrounding Harris's passing, this is STILL one of the best CBB podcasts ever.

All four were absolutely at the top of their game from the getgo.

• Like 5

Wasn't sure whether or not to write anything as everything I feel has been said a thousand times better than I could express. But I feel like I can't really tell anyone else how I'm feeling because they'll think I'm insane. Who cries over someone they've never even met, who lived at the other side of the world and wasn't even Santa?

Anyway, as soon as I found out by seeing Marc Maron's podcast titled "Remembering Harris..." I immediately thought, but it couldn't be... not Carl Sjunior, but it was... "Remembering Harris Wittels". And so for the past few days, every time I've been alone I've just been searching Google and Twitter and Earwolf, to try and come to terms with how we've all lost one of the funniest guys around and before he even got to reach his full potential.

I feel like I lost one of my closest friends, there's kids from school that I spent over a decade with that I would barely crack a frown if I heard that they'd died, but here I am choking on my own tears because I'll never hear another foam corner. I feel so fortunate that we all got to hear him one last time, it was the perfect tribute.

Here's some words from Harris on death that hopefully helps you guys, from his appearance on You Made It Weird a couple of months ago:

"You have to treat everything lightly or life sucks... Doesn't it seem like a lot of celebrities are dying right now? But every single human being ever, has died and will die and so it's not that weird to me when it happens but everyone really makes quite a big deal of it... Cos it's gonna fuckin' happen... it's weird that death is a taboo, it's like this thing that people are scared to touch a little bit. Everyone's entire goal is to live for as long as possible and to leave legacy behind but that's not right... Why? We're all molecules, I'm the fucking same as... a cup."

Talking about Robin Williams:

"Death is beautiful, part of life. No, it is sad. It's sad when anyone dies, even though every single human dies. So, it's really not that sad. It's sad to not get his comedy anymore, it's sad for his family."

So let's raise a cup to Harris, and remember all the times he's made us laugh our asses off with his work on Comedy Bang Bang and Parks and Rec, a grander legacy than most of us will leave behind. Thoughts go out to his family and friends and I hope they get to see just how much he meant to all of us.

Rest in peace Harris, Rodney Ogg, Carl Sjunior, Clark Griswold and of course Brennis Dentmintsontinmen.

Stand, creak, slam.

• Like 18

Hey guys, as much as we all love Harris let's not neglect the other people who were in this podcast. Harris wouldn't have wanted that. Especially considering how they feel now.

So here's a picture, just for Adam Scott:

mixed-nuts-roasted-unsalted.jpg

• Like 2

Last Thursday started on a total high and ended on the lowest low. I woke up to the joyful news that one of my favorite bands, Blur, is putting out a new record in 2 months. It was going to be a great day. I spent most of the day at work listening to old Blur albums, b-sides, their interview with Zane Lowe, just getting excited.

Then towards the end of the day, I saw Sarah's tweets, and then it all came crashing down very quickly. The thing I love most next to music is everything related to CBB, Earwolf, and comedy podcasts in general. There is no doubt Harris was a giant contributor to CBB and Earwolf, and his personality stood way, way out from the typical guest, on ANY podcast. He reminded me of dudes I grew up with -- very chill, very offbeat funny, witty, laid back, happy. And talented as hell.

This is still going to take awhile to accept. But thankfully, this last epp w/ Harris, while bittersweet, is just what I needed. It really has helped and if it had to be his parting appearance, it feels like the only proper swan song there ever could have been.

Thanks Scott, Brett, Adam, Chelsea, everyone. May Harris be resting well in that great big Gamehendge in the sky.

• Like 2

I've got that odd knot in my stomach all day. It's weird how someone you don't really know's death can do that to you. I guess Harris Wittles made more of an impact on me than i knew. I've not felt this way about a celebrity's passing since Freddy Mercury.

Much respect to Scott for releasing this, i hope that all these posts make you feel you did the right thing. I feel it was a very worthy way to salute a great comedian. Strength to you and anyone else who knew him.

• Like 4

Hey all, it seems that Don't Stop Or We'll Die had a show scheduled for the 28th of Feb (info from Harris's Twitter) and that this show is now a tribute to Harris. https://sunset.ucbtheatre.com/performance/36959

Wanted to post it here in case people in LA wanted to join. I imagine it will be one hell of a jam.

Thank you all again for being so great, this thread right here is a testament to the legacy of Harris, bringing so many people together with his brilliance.

Love.

• Like 7

I must say, it's heartwarming to see so many people register new accounts just to share their memories of Harris. I hope all of you will stick around and keep his special brand of super-chill positivity and love of dick pics* alive.

* Do not post dick pics.

• Like 17

Initially I was completely in Scott's corner in regards to his hostility toward reading the scheduling emails and how persistently unfunny the bit was. But upon reflection I think I'm just resentful of the fact that I'm not friends with these wonderful human beings and thus will never be included in their email correspondences.

• Like 5