🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 116 — Blue Worm

Rick Remender is back to join the gang as they rest at the base of a cliff when suddenly a blue worm begins to attack Dag. What is this hill worm? Will the gang find more? Why did Wolfman Jack insist on using checks at Tower Records years ago? Tune in to find out!

I hate to whine on the internet, but I really hope the annoyance with Remender was genuine and he doesn't get asked back. Fucking around is fine, but he's just a jerk as a player. He totally ignores everyone and it's more annoying than funny. I think everything from this week should be retconned.

• Like 2

Oh, I had something I wanted to ask Dan. Do you guys often suffer the sarcastic wrath of your comedian friends for playing D&D? Sometimes I imagine someone like Bill Burr sitting in on a Nerd Poker session and just being relentless.

Headcanon: Winter lives with an undiagnosed mood disorder, and episodes where Rick sits in are manic episodes...

In seriousness, I feel like everyone was reasonably OK with it, for the most part the party response felt more akin to the "goddammit stop calling back Chuck Mangione" kind of anger and not "goddammit you're ruining our game" -- even Brian's sulkiness felt like part of the fun.

Honestly it's nice to have some character infusions for Winter, even if they're ridiculous. Steve's been kind of stuck with the store socks, so to speak--I'm sure if Gerry had been around to flesh him out Winter would have had a fascinating story, but as it is he's sort of just "cookie-cutter wizard" and was handed around to too many different players who kind of auto-piloted him out of respect for Gerry because there was a possibility of his returning and wanting to make his own character choices. If this were a lovingly crafted character with deep associations for its normal player I fully agree that behavior like this from a sit-in would be absolutely unacceptable, but c'mon, it's just Winter.

Blaine laughed at my black metal Andrew Jackson!

Brian pronounced all of my party's names wrong!

I've been dreaming of this day ever since I gave Brian $20 and a joint on February 6th.

• Like 6

Oh, I had something I wanted to ask Dan. Do you guys often suffer the sarcastic wrath of your comedian friends for playing D&D? Sometimes I imagine someone like Bill Burr sitting in on a Nerd Poker session and just being relentless.

I can't speak for other people, but given the universality of nerd stuff now and my already looking like a big huge nerd it doesn't happen that often. And who cares if it does? We're still grown ups who leave the house.

• Like 3

Next week Steve returns and finds "-3 to Rectal Elasticity" on his character sheet, just shrugs it off.

Wait they're playing FATAL now?

Wait they're playing FATAL now?

Or Apocalypse World, I think that's the one that had special character effects/powers that came into play only when characters hooked up?

Rick is my absolute favorite, hands down. My stomach hurts from laughing so damn hard at his antics this episode. Thebparty, and the game, needed a little injection of chaos, just like Winter's rectum needed an injection of quarter staff.

Please, please, PLEASE let Rick keep playing! Even if he lands you in a TPK, they're fictional characters, and Rick will make your demise as hilarious as the inevitable, episodic demise of Wile E. Coyote.

Great work, guys. I am a big fan.

• Like 5

Rick seems to be pretty polarizing (which is a surprise to me, honestly), but I'll say this: this episode had my attention more than other recent episodes, and a large part of that was Rick.

I'm also getting very antsy about when Dan's new character is going to show up. Like Rick, every time the party hears something in the distance and says 'fuck that,' I'm thinking, 'Well, maybe that's Dan's new character! WTF?'

• Like 2

' every time the party hears something in the distance and says 'fuck that,' I'm thinking, 'Well, maybe that's Dan's new character '

Ironically, that's how they discover Dan's new character. Something makes a noise in the bushes and they just start fucking it. Granted it's not your normal D&D character introduction, but they do form a meaningful bond right away.

• Like 1

I'm also getting very antsy about when Dan's new character is going to show up.

Sorry, I tried getting a gig writing a comic book that would keep me out of the studio while they worked up to it but it didn't pan out.

• Like 3

Sorry, I tried getting a gig writing a comic book that would keep me out of the studio while they worked up to it but it didn't pan out.

Since Lyra was the first to fall in Blaine's world, I don't know how to gauge what's an opportunity for a character intro or not. Sark's intros were very leading, with Sir Richard in that doomed sub the party comes across by chance, as well as finding Damien on the Necromancer's ship. Ever since Lyra's epic demise Ive been searching for context clues along those lines, but so far it's been blue menaces attacking the party or sounds in the distance that the party decides to evade, so my preconceptions mixed with the party's tactical decisions are what make me antsy, mostly due to the fact that you're in studio and I love the way you play, so, it's like having a fav player benched for a bit.

Great episode! Rick was awesome, way to shake it up, fuck those blue bastards. If the team manages to take out these two blue dicks, they might be able to level up to a point where they can engage more giants without pissing themselves... Not that pissing themselves isn't an appropriate response, I just think killing a giant while covered in ones own piss might be kinda badass. Again great episode guys.

• Like 1

It wasn't the fact that Rick was acting up that annoyed me - he was right in that it would have been boring just running down the road - it was that the acting up was so juvenile. Personally, I got over that kind of humour in 5th grade when I discovered that there were more interesting things in the world than my own penis. I didn't expect highbrow sophistication, but this was ridiculous.

• Like 2

Fear not kind sir. Once Steve gets back, I'm certain we'll return to the refined elegance of tracing the genitals of fallen foes into a scrapbook, as Dag continues the tradition of called scrotum attacks in the background.

(Extends pinky, sips Earl Grey)

• Like 6

You know the last time Rick was on the show he had Winter strip, reach into his anus, and pinch his taint, right?

• Like 1

You know the last time Rick was on the show he had Winter strip, reach into his anus, and pinch his taint, right?

#NeverForget

• Like 2

For me, Rick is the proverbial cowbell in this campaign and like all things in life, it needs more cowbell.

Whamdango is music to my ears.

also, when is that Ithorian being rolled up to join the adventure?

• Like 1

I hate to whine on the internet, but I really hope the annoyance with Remender was genuine and he doesn't get asked back. Fucking around is fine, but he's just a jerk as a player. He totally ignores everyone and it's more annoying than funny. I think everything from this week should be retconned.

He did kind of get the okay, they did some shaming but I feel Rick was not stopped because it's not fun playing if you don't do what you want to.

Also admittedly I went in unjustly grumpy because Steve wasn't there. It's like when a friend doesn't show up to a party (except they're more imaginary friends because they have no idea who I am). But next thing I know Rick is ramping up the insanity and coincidentally is when I'm taking a piss. Trying not to laugh and sound like a lunatic in the bathroom and simultaneously trying not to piss all over myself.

Moral of the story is give the guy a chance I don't know how you could not like Rick... or the moral is wear a catheter on Wednesdays because I can't stop listening long enough to piss.

• Like 1

I remember that as two separate actions right? He didn't pinch his taint with the hand that was already inside his anus? Becouse that would be creative even for Rick. Please tell me my memory is wrong. LOL

He wanted to pinch it from the outside and the inside at the same time. It was special.

• Like 3