🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 177 — Marriage Money

Will Hines, Gilli Nissim, Dhruv Uday Singh, Kale Hills, and Heather Woodward join Matt Besser for an unprecedented improv6humans! We’ll see what it’s like when J.K. Simmons walks into the OZ writers room, find out what exactly is marriage money, and hear some personal stories from the Nerf injury ward. Plus, we explore what can go wrong when a city installs walking flags for crossing the street in another edition of The Mope Report. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

The "pedestrian flag" idea is at least 13 years old: during the 2002 University of Chicago Scavenger Hunt (http://scavhunt.uchicago.edu/), your team had to set up one these things at a random intersection at Hyde Park for "safety". A documentary crew was filming the contest this year, and the footage of someone using these flags showed how comically ineffective this system is.

I was just in Salt Lake over the weekend and they had pedestrian flag system in place. In my limited experience with it, it went off without a hitch. People used the flags responsibly and drivers stopped appropriately.

Maybe cause everyone's so polite and Mormon?

I also thought Scott Steiner looked like a Hulk Hogan clone when he initially bleached his hair and goatee (before that he had spent years with a clean shaven face and long black mullet). But his character has been so different from Hogan's for years that I initially balked at the idea that Besser could confuse the two. Then I thought about it from a non-wrestling fan's perspective, and it kinda makes sense.

The actual improv on this episode was very good, by the way. I'm interested to see how the new guys and girls integrate with the regulars.

• Like 2

I also thought Scott Steiner looked like a Hulk Hogan clone when he initially bleached his hair and goatee (before that he had spent years with a clean shaven face and long black mullet). But his character has been so different from Hogan's for years that I initially balked at the idea that Besser could confuse the two. Then I thought about it from a non-wrestling fan's perspective, and it kinda makes sense.

The actual improv on this episode was very good, by the way. I'm interested to see how the new guys and girls integrate with the regulars.

I was in Houston three years ago for my mother's funeral. I was standing downtown at an intersection waiting for the light to change and I looked next to me and there was Big Poppa Pump. I was pretty deep in mourning (drunk) and just stared at him for a minute and then said, "You're Scott Steiner?" He nodded and said, "Yeah." Stared at me for a second (I assume waiting for me to either ask for an autograph or say something), then we both went back to looking at the light.

Point of the story is, he knew to wait for the light to change to cross. He didn't need a flag system.

(still about the only memory of that weekend I have)

• Like 4

That flag system could lead to a real tragedy if it was implemented near a semaphore meetup.

• Like 1

That flag system could lead to a real tragedy if it was implemented near a semaphore meetup.

so many conditions race to mind

Holy shit. That Scott Steiner promo slayed me. How have I not heard/seen this already? My friends and I used to be huge wrestling fans, so I would have thought one of us would have stumbled across this piece of gold already.

• Like 1

When I heard the name Scott Steiner I assumed it would be the infamous math promo, but that was even better.

• Like 1

Everyone really committed to that Nerf sketch, really dredged up some old memories of that kid down the block who would shoot everyone with darts out of nowhere.

Too many scenes on I4H have been starting as meetings lately. The Nerf scene should've taken place at a party. And the STD scene would've been more fun at a wrestling event.

Sign in to follow this