🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 105 — Safe Haven

Did anyone else find it odd that despite how "spooked" and on edge Katie gets she never takes basic precautions to secure her home? I can't remember how she wakes up the first time, but it is when she falls through the floor and sees the opossum. When she gets up to investigate, she needs to shut her window which is wide fucking open! Also, something like 90% of opossums are rabid, but she doesn't feel the need to cover the gaping hole in her floor immediately? In the very next scene, she is at her kitchen table which has a little throw rug beneath it. Now I don't expect her to do massive home improvement stuff in the middle of the night, but why not cover the hole in the floor with the rug and secure it with the table? I know I can't speak for everyone, but I don't want any of those pink eyed monsters getting into my house.

The second time she is woken up is when Alex drops off the bicycle. She hears him outside, she runs to the front door, and then has to lock it! What the heck?

Look, I have never been chased by either an abusive lover or the police, but I am pretty sure that if I ever am my shit is going to be on lock down: windows shut, doors locked (with maybe even a piece of furniture to barricade the door), lights out. In fact, I live in a pretty safe community and I don't go to bed at night without locking up.

• Like 6

As always, I loved this episode. Unlike others, I thought the guests were great. Sorry to hear that Jason is still sick. Get well.

Possible Omission

I may be misremembering this but the cop husband, who hasn't seen the wife other than a crummy black and white bus terminal video where she is in a hoodie, starts walking through the parade and grabbing women with the wifes hairstyle. He hasn't laid eyes on her since watching the tape and he made the approximated image in photoshop. Not only did he guess the wifes hair, he's going to check every woman in the town with a hairstyle that he made up?

• Like 1

For anyone missing June again, she has some really funny lines in this, especially that "yeeeeeeeah":

http://www.funnyordi...aphael-dan-levy

I hope they can find a way to make it work for future episodes, and maybe we'll get to hear from June again in the minisode! Maybe she'll change her mind about watching Safe Haven...

I now love this podcast too much to listen to it at work. (Which is to say, I don't want to associate it with this job...) I now like my commute home on the city bus (1+ hour) more than I like my job. I haven't even watched the movie or listened to this week's episode yet, and already I am learning A LOT!

• Like 5

Cobie was the M.V.P. of the movie I.M.H.O. I admit I got watery eyes because of the letter at the end...

I have a couple of things for the Corrections and Omissions segment in the next mini-episode... After the opening of the film in the first bus station scene we see Julianne Hough buying a bus ticket... She is wearing a hoodie, sporting her now short blonde hairdo and what it appears to be a medium to big pregnant belly... The first time I saw that it I was like: "Woah! This means that aprox. 7 or 8 months must have passed since that first scene where she was covered in blood" but no, then when she gets on the bus we learn that she was faking it and she had a pillow or something under her clothes...

I found that whole thing completely crazy... If you are trying to escape your first move is to try to blend in and not to give yourself away with suspicious clothes or phisical characteristics ( Maybe if you are a pregnant woman people won't suspect much but I would of stayed with the fake belly at least until that first bus stop ) I would personally have loved if she was in fact pregnant with a monsters baby (lol) and that was another thing she had to deal with while "on the lam"

Another thing that was not mentioned in the episode was something that the user Servo Avademy said on another thread...

Where can she go from Atlanta? ANYWHERE! If the guy told him there's an airport here too it would've blown his mind. "Wait...I'm in a Nicholas Sparks movie, she's in North Carolina. Phew, that was easy."

That scene where the policeman watches an animation of the map of America and the highway lines appear to reach the entire country was so hilarious to me... He should of call off the search after that... haha

Finally I made a .gif

Here you go Bye!!! (for now)

tumblr_nkt7dnBtso1qbo5heo1_1280.gif

• Like 7

Okay, let's talk about the apparent ineptitude of small town cops as portrayed in this movie. The Sheriff of this podunk town, despite having numerous face to face interactions with this strange and pretty drifter who has set up shop in the crazy meth lab deep in the woods, does not recognize Katie from the wanted poster has he hung down at the station. As I stated in a previous post, even people who have had fleeting glances of her from across a busy bus station are able to do that. Fuck, he watches his friend basically get to second base with her against a tree, so you know he knows what she looks like. Yet, no bells are rung. His bells are silent.

However, what is horrendous, is earlier in the film when Katie is at the General Store and a bus load of people come in to use the bathroom. She is trying to remain inconspicuous and ends up by the front window of the store. The Sheriff and another cop look at her and give her a nod of acknowledgement, before walking, I don't know, two feet out of frame. Immediately after they clear the shot, Alex's son, who is on the boat maybe ten feet behind them, slips, cracks his head on the boat, and falls into the water. And these two gentlemen, sworn to protect and serve their community, do absolutely nothing! They are easily the closest people to go and help this kid who could very well be unconscious and drowning, yet they don't make a single move to save his life. Nice work, fellas...

• Like 1

That scene where the policeman watches an animation of the map of America and the highway lines appear to reach the entire country was so hilarious to me... He should of call off the search after that... hah

That gave me a genuine laugh as well Maximiliano. He asks the guy at the bus depot, "Where can you go from Atlanta" and the guy says, "Anywhere." But this is not enough for our intrepid pursuer. Oh no, he has to go back to the station, pull up MapQuest or some shit, just so he can get a visual representation of what "anywhere" in America might look like. I feel like he should have taken a swig from his Aquafina bottle and said something like, "Wow, America is a lot bigger than I thought..."

• Like 6

not related to the episode, but...

what's up with Netflix? do they hate hdtgm? because this is the 3rd or 4th time in the last few months that a movie is removed from Netflix as soon as it's announced for the show.

This has happened since like episode 20 of HDTGM. I just dug through the backlog of forums and look at this thread from mid-2013:

http://forum.earwolf...744-am-i-crazy/

Super annoying

So Katie's real name is Erin, but when her crazy drunko husband arrives and confronts her does he call her the name he has known her by, as his wife?

No, he somehow knows that she's going by Katie now. How does he know that?

Also no one closes curtains in this town, whether they are sleeping alone in a rickety house in the creepy woods. Or whether they are banging in full view of anyone going by.

• Like 3

It pains me to say it but...I didn't like that episode. At all. With no disrespect to them, I thought the guests were probably the weakest that have ever been on. And I get differing opinions, but the fact that Jason loved this movie and cried at the end was so so odd to me.

Oh well, still love you guys for putting this sow out and helping make the commute to work a lot easier!

It pains me to say it but...I didn't like that episode. At all. With no disrespect to them, I thought the guests were probably the weakest that have ever been on. And I get differing opinions, but the fact that Jason loved this movie and cried at the end was so so odd to me.

Well I enjoyed their thoughts, and Eliza and Jordan as well. But it seems you're the only one in the minority.

If it pains you to say that as much as it pains me to read it you can always hit "back" instead of "post".

• Like 5

Loved this episode. Loved the guests. Will not be watching the movie but legit got goosebumps and cried listening to the final reveal. And I truly enjoy all the crying these goofballs do at these terrible movies, because I do the very same thing. My sensitive heart gets no protection from my smarty brain. I will literally cry at anything.

• Like 4

I saw this movie in the theater with my wife and we both thought it was absolutely atrocious. My wife actually apologized twice during the movie for picking it, which I thought was hilarious. Having said that, there were two major things that stuck out to me that weren't covered in the podcast.

1) The movie lost me at the cut right after she escapes on the bus. That goes from super dramatic chase music and is filmed really dark to a hard cut of pleasant music in a bright scene where the bus is driving down the coast. No slight pause in between scenes, just hard cut from terrifying to pleasant.

2) The other part that really killed me was when they retrieve the letters from the burnt out desk. The letters were just in a metal box in a building that was burned to the ground. No way that 1/8" steel box would have saved those letters.

• Like 2

There was some great bad dialogue in this.

"I'll be damned." - The husband, after seeing Katie on the security tape there was no way she wasn't on.

"It's a bike not a kidney." - Dead ghost wife

• Like 4

The other part that really killed me was when they retrieve the letters from the burnt out desk. The letters were just in a metal box in a building that was burned to the ground. No way that 1/8" steel box would have saved those letters.

Not without Ghost Magic!

• Like 4

If it pains you to say that as much as it pains me to read it you can always hit "back" instead of "post".

Or even, failing that, limit yourself to one negative post about the episode.

• Like 2

Or even, failing that, limit yourself to one negative post about the episode.

Seriously. What was the deal with posting halfway through that they didn't like the guests and then posting it again? Just working so hard to tear something down for no reason than to just make sure people who don't really care, know your opinion. I hate this.

Peter Travers of the Rolling Stone wrote quite a funny review of the movie, which, though in prose, is basically a list of reasons why he hated this film so much. I restructured the review in the form of a list; these are all direct quotes. It might as well be called “10 reasons why I hate Safe Haven”:

1. I hate the way Hollywood insults audiences by deciding a film version of a Nicholas Sparks bestseller is what audiences need for Valentine's week.
2. I hate the way Sparks-inspired films have gotten exponentially worse since 2004's
The Notebook
3. I hate that Lasse Hallstrom, the indisputable talent behind
My Life As a Dog, What's Eating Gilbert Grape
, and
The Cider House Rules
, got suckered into directing this swill.
4. I hate how nothing about
Safe Haven
makes sense. I mean, you have to hate this story: Katie has fled Boston by bus, with a psycho cop and a first-degree murder rap nipping at her heels. And yet Hough, an inexhaustibly perky actress, manages to keep smiling. Worse than that, Katie hides out in an impossibly picturesque fishing village in North Carolina, where she right away meets Alex, a widower with two kids and a gym-toned body no one else in town possesses. As time wears on and on, I keep ignoring Katie's fate and wondering where she and Alex go to get their highlights.
5. I hate the intolerably cutsey dialogue that draws this Ken and Barbie together.
6. I hate the blandness of Hough and Duhamel as actors.
7. I hate how Hallstrom arranges them like he's shooting a spread for smallo-town Vogue.
8. I hate, to the point of despising, the friendship Katie develops with Jo, a neighbor no one else in town seems to mention.
9. I hate the Sixth Sense vibe that attempts to energize a film that died soon after the opening credits.
10. I hate
Safe Haven
. It's a terrible thing to do to your Valentine.

• Like 2

I also laughed like a maniac when crazy husband got out of his car at the parade roadblock and threw his bottle. It was suppose to look menacing I guess. It wasn't.

• Like 4

I also laughed like a maniac when crazy husband got out of his car at the parade roadblock and threw his bottle. It was suppose to look menacing I guess. It wasn't.

Wasting all that Popov.

• Like 1

Yeesh people, sorry I said I didn't like it! I hope I didn't destroy your day(s)!

For the record, I love this show, it's my favorite podcast. I just didn't care for this episode. Why does that boil people's blood so much?