🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 105 — Safe Haven

OMISSION: how small the detective's office is. This is supposed to be the Boston Police Dept detective bullpen and it's the size of a closet with two desks in it.

• Like 1

PS Eliza Skinner is amazing.

YES She's the best. I was super bummed when there was no June this episode, but Eliza's so great that I still loved the episode. I want to see Tyler Perry movies with her.

Yeesh people, sorry I said I didn't like it! I hope I didn't destroy your day(s)!

For the record, I love this show, it's my favorite podcast. I just didn't care for this episode. Why does that boil people's blood so much?

#1, because you said 'it pains me'. If it upset you so much, why go to lengths to complain? Just keep it to yourself.

#2, you posted twice about how you didn't like the guests. We got it. No need to repeat it.

It just feels like we have more than enough complaints in the world, no need to bring it here. If you had some constructive criticism, that's one thing. But you're just repeating you don't like the guests. Why? What's the point?

I think I was disappointed in this podcast, not because I found the guests and hosts unfunny (they were all charming and hilarious!), but because it boggled the SHIT out of my mind how anyone could like this movie. And to fucking cry while watching it? How Did These Emotions Get Made? I understand the appeal of a good romance, or even a formulaic one, but Safe Haven is so amateurish and unfeelingly calculated that it felt like reading a script outline of a potential romantic film... as performed by high school students. The prettiest and whitest high school students in the country.

So, I'm only disappointed in my lack of answers as to the appeal of this film, not in the content of the podcast itself. Even with my confusion, this is the highlight of my podcast-listening life!

• Like 5

GREAT episode. About 2/3 of the way through the movie, I guessed that Jo was the ghost of Alex's dead wife and I was afraid to say anything because that just seemed too bananas, but lo and behold....

Then I got to thinking. What if there's something much more tragic at play? What if what's really going on is that Katie/Erin ALSO has a cancer and the tumor in her brain is causing these hallucinations of Jo? It's entirely possible that when Katie/Erin first rolled into town, she caught a glimpse of an old photo with Jo in it (I don't know, somewhere in the background of Alex's convenience store?), and her crazy brain tumor is drawing this image from her subconscious and projecting it as a hallucination?

Just sayin'...

• Like 5

#1, because you said 'it pains me'. If it upset you so much, why go to lengths to complain? Just keep it to yourself.

#2, you posted twice about how you didn't like the guests. We got it. No need to repeat it.

It just feels like we have more than enough complaints in the world, no need to bring it here. If you had some constructive criticism, that's one thing. But you're just repeating you don't like the guests. Why? What's the point?

#1 I can't post unless it's something positive? Noted. Give me a break.

#2 I wanted to post my reaction to finishing the episode.

This seems to have taken over your life a lot more than I should. Let me break it down:

-I listened to half of it, and didn't like it. Thought I would finish it.

-I finished it, and said unfortunately I still didn't like it.

-You acted like I pissed in your Cheerios.

I didn't like the guests because I thought they were boring and unfunny. Is that better?

Move on, dude.

I think I was disappointed in this podcast, not because I found the guests and hosts unfunny (they were all charming and hilarious!), but because it boggled the SHIT out of my mind how anyone could like this movie. And to fucking cry while watching it? How Did These Emotions Get Made? I understand the appeal of a good romance, or even a formulaic one, but Safe Haven is so amateurish and unfeelingly calculated that it felt like reading a script outline of a potential romantic film... as performed by high school students. The prettiest and whitest high school students in the country.

So, I'm only disappointed in my lack of answers as to the appeal of this film, not in the content of the podcast itself. Even with my confusion, this is the highlight of my podcast-listening life!

Careful, it's not cool to post about not liking this episode!

#1 I can't post unless it's something positive? Noted. Give me a break.

#2 I wanted to post my reaction to finishing the episode.

This seems to have taken over your life a lot more than I should. Let me break it down:

-I listened to half of it, and didn't like it. Thought I would finish it.

-I finished it, and said unfortunately I still didn't like it.

-You acted like I pissed in your Cheerios.

I didn't like the guests because I thought they were boring and unfunny. Is that better?

Move on, dude.

You didn't ruin one persons day, you mildly irritated a number of people. You can dig your heels in, or you can just consider that unnecessarily crapping on the guests is, in fact, not really cool. I know you said you usually like the show, and I'm just gently letting you know that tacking that on doesn't make your comments read as not-rude.

This isn't a board meeting where people are looking for critical input because they're considering firing the guests part way through. It's a free podcast that some friends recorded that you don't need to crap on.

It's not a huge deal. Just maybe be nicer about the hosts friends?

PS The fact that someone has to chime in and explain why they thought the weeks episode was bad everrrrrry week is what makes it extra irritating for people like me and likely Dr. Muffin (btw cool name bro). And what makes it extra unnecessary for it to continue to happen, especially twice in a row like that. It's assumed that someone somewhere will not like the guests because of whatever reason, so it doesn't need to be said. If you can't say something nice...

• Like 3

You didn't ruin one persons day, you mildly irritated a number of people. You can dig your heels in, or you can just consider that unnecessarily crapping on the guests is, in fact, not really cool. I know you said you usually like the show, and I'm just gently letting you know that tacking that on doesn't make your comments read as not-rude.

This isn't a board meeting where people are looking for critical input because they're considering firing the guests part way through. It's a free podcast that some friends recorded that you don't need to crap on.

It's not a huge deal. Just maybe be nicer about the hosts friends?

PS The fact that someone has to chime in and explain why they thought the weeks episode was bad everrrrrry week is what makes it extra irritating for people like me and likely Dr. Muffin (btw cool name bro). And what makes it extra unnecessary for it to continue to happen, especially twice in a row like that. It's assumed that someone somewhere will not like the guests because of whatever reason, so it doesn't need to be said. If you can't say something nice...

I'm really just confused about why I can't express my distaste for guests. Does that personally offend people and if so, why?!?! I didn't say ANYTHING poor about them as people, just that I didn't like them as guests. HUUUUUUGEEEE difference.

Don't worry, I'll be sunshine and roses from now on.

This has happened since like episode 20 of HDTGM. I just dug through the backlog of forums and look at this thread from mid-2013:

http://forum.earwolf...744-am-i-crazy/

Super annoying

Interesting find. Way to go all obsessive psycho cop with your forum sleuthing though.

Plz plz don't burn any houses down later.

(PS I gave up drinking for Lent for some reason so I clearly also have too much free time to spend in forums)

I'm really just confused about why I can't express my distaste for guests. Does that personally offend people and if so, why?!?! I didn't say ANYTHING poor about them as people, just that I didn't like them as guests. HUUUUUUGEEEE difference.

Don't worry, I'll be sunshine and roses from now on.

Look, if you're honestly confused, I can explain it to you I guess. But I'm sure if you relaxed and thought about it (and let go of being defensive perhaps?) it would be obvious that saying you don't like someone as a guest is indeed personally offensive to those guests, and also then kind of a bummer to the people who like those guests and want to stick up for them.

You seem upset that people didn't like your comments, and nobody even said they don't like you "as a commenter". See how easy it is to feel kind of insulted or attacked? Couching it in the things that feel to you like a "HUUUUUUGEEEE difference." doesn't make that difference to other people.

"I didn't like these people as guests "They're not adding that much, and not really standing out at all." If you don't see that as rude, that's an unfortunate misunderstanding. But it is still rude.

• Like 2

PS If you do feel an overwhelming desire to let your criticisms be heard there's always Reddit. Coming directly to Earwolf to say "hey I think those people you like are bad" is what really feels like the crazy part to me.

Thats like going to your friends house to complain about the muffins he made for book club. Like, just say that literally anywhere else.

(please envision Jason saying "literally... lit-ter-all-ee!")

• Like 2

First of all,I never intended to shit on other people's opinion of the guests, and I'm not sure how I came across that way.

Second of all, I just came here to voice my opinion. What's frustrating me is people are taking that as me being extra aggressive and going out of way to be negative.

I didn't like the episode or what the guests added, but that's merely my personal opinion and I've got NOTHING against the people who did.

So can we stop getting upset?

First of all,I never intended to shit on other people's opinion of the guests, and I'm not sure how I came across that way.

Second of all, I just came here to voice my opinion. What's frustrating me is people are taking that as me being extra aggressive and going out of way to be negative.

I didn't like the episode or what the guests added, but that's merely my personal opinion and I've got NOTHING against the people who did.

So can we stop getting upset?

You didn't come across as being against the people who liked the guests.

I didn't take you as being "extra aggressive".

You did go out of your way to be negative. You came to this site to write about your negative opinion, twice. That's going out of your way to be negative.

Only one person here is misunderstanding things.

I'm totally willing to stop getting upset (as I do suspect that you're refusing to budge on this because you don't want to see yourself as having done something wrong, since you clearly like the show and consider yourself a fan). However, I'm not willing to let you believe that me not responding anymore is because I conceded to your point of view.

It'll mostly be because I know that trying to convert one single internet commenter is a massive waste of my own life.

Even if Jason did specifically ask us to come here and fight.

Am I allowed to say that while I greatly enjoyed hearing the theme "remix" the first couple times, it has subsequently become a huge bummer every time I click play expecting to hear the original classic HDTGM theme? The rap song just seems more like a nice little treat for longtime fans, rather than something that should be the permanent theme for a podcast. I don't hate it at all, but the OG HDTGM song is LITERALLY perfect, in my opinion; it does such an amazing job describing the podcast for how brief it is, and for such a short song it builds to a great climax, IMO.

I get wanting to change things up after 4 years, but on the other hand...after FOUR YEARS, that's the one thing I really expect when i turn on How Did This Get Made? IDK, it's a free podcast, so fuck me entirely (esp since Paul gets such a kick out of it every time), but jw if anyone else felt the same.

• Like 1

Careful, it's not cool to post about not liking this episode!

Look everyone, we are posting on a message board about a podcast about a Nicholas Sparks movie. I think all of us are pretty uncool at this point. Let's just unite in our lack of coolness and high five each other!

• Like 9

Look everyone, we are posting on a message board about a podcast about a Nicholas Sparks movie. I think all of us are pretty uncool at this point. Let's just unite in our lack of coolness and high five each other!

That's right Quasar! Although I don't think any of us could be cooler...

1HPzxMBCTvjMs.gif

• Like 8

I haven't heard the episode, yet, so just ignore this point if it has already been made. But there were times where David Lyons (Katie's Husband) looked like he was trying way to hard to come across like Robert Patrick's T-1000 in Terminator 2, to the point of me thinking his finger was gonna turn into a spike and poke through that old lady's head.

Also, "Jo" being dead all along seemed somewhat ironic. The "mother" of the movie, being dead all along, and Cobie Smulders being in the equation. I was half expecting Josh Dumahel to start sounding like Bob Saget. Whenever Cobie Smulders is involved, something seems to happen to someone's parents.

Safe Haven - She was dead all along and her husband's business is burned to the ground.

How I Met Your Mother - The mother was dead all along

Walking Tall - The Rock's dad's house gets invaded by the bad guys

Delivery Man - Vince Vaughan gets sued by 140 people he fathered thanks to a fuck up at a fertility clinic,

If Cobie Smulders is involved, some shit's gonna happen to someone's parental unit!

I still "can't even" fathom how the husband-cop was supposed to be a reveal. The first half of this movie plays just like a Sleeping With the Enemy knock-off, all the while pretending that it's not Sleeping With the Enemy. Then this "reveal" is that it actually is Sleeping With the Enemy. The whole time I was thinking: I wish I was watching Sleeping With the Enemy instead.

The reason Safe Haven doesn't work is because the "reveal" is less outrageous than the misdirect. If we had been led to believe the opposite: that in the first hour that she was an abused wife who turns out to be a legit murderer now stuck in a Nicholas Sparks romance - that would have been a reveal.

But can we talk about how Sleeping With the Enemy is so much better?

1. We have a sense of the timeline - we see Julia Roberts plot her escape for months. Katie's first step after running out the door is to get a dye-job at her neighbor's (which is perfectly blonde and gorgeous, despite the rushed circumstances), thus delaying her escape just long enough for her husband to almost find her at the bus station. We have no idea for how long Katie and Kevin have been married - how long did it take her to realize he was an abusive alcoholic?

2. The bad guy in Sleeping With the Enemy is methodical and threatening. There is a logical thread of clues he uses to find Julia Roberts. Kevin just gets lucky.

3. Julia Roberts is also methodical and brave. Katie jumps at everything and does stupid shit like calling her neighbor from a landline and not defending her false murder rap.

4. Sleeping With the Enemy knows what kind of movie it is. Safe Haven is a thriller/romance/family drama/ghost story (like they said, several movies going on at once). One genre weakens the other.

By the way: Sleeping With the Enemy: good movie!

• Like 1

I'm interested in the story of "Bolo", the guy on the other wanted poster next to Katie/Erin. In my experience, a guy named "Bolo" has a story to tell. I know of two Bolo's in my life.

Bolo Yeung - The legendary Martial Arts star playing the iconic "Chong-Li" in Bloodsport.

There was also a guy named "Bolo" where I lived, a local criminal/supposed hardman, with a completely shaved head (no eyebrows either), with a spiderweb tattooed on his ENTIRE head, there was a story about him tearing up a Job Centre after getting annoyed that they wouldn't pay him his benefits, after his excuse for not even looking for a job being "They're not gonna give a job to a bloke with a fucking spiderweb on his face, so what's the point in looking for a fucking job!" He got arrested seemingly weekly until he got stabbed in the neck in a bar fight.

So, with a name with that track record, I wanted to see what "Bolo" was doing.

• Like 1

I still "can't even" fathom how the husband-cop was supposed to be a reveal. The first half of this movie plays just like a Sleeping With the Enemy knock-off, all the while pretending that it's not Sleeping With the Enemy. Then this "reveal" is that it actually is Sleeping With the Enemy. The whole time I was thinking: I wish I was watching Sleeping With the Enemy instead.

The reason Safe Haven doesn't work is because the "reveal" is less outrageous than the misdirect. If we had been led to believe the opposite: that in the first hour that she was an abused wife who turns out to be a legit murderer now stuck in a Nicholas Sparks romance - that would have been a reveal.

But can we talk about how Sleeping With the Enemy is so much better?

1. We have a sense of the timeline - we see Julia Roberts plot her escape for months. Katie's first step after running out the door is to get a dye-job at her neighbor's (which is perfectly blonde and gorgeous, despite the rushed circumstances), thus delaying her escape just long enough for her husband to almost find her at the bus station. We have no idea for how long Katie and Kevin have been married - how long did it take her to realize he was an abusive alcoholic?

2. The bad guy in SWTE is methodical and threatening. There is a logical thread of clues he uses to find Julia Roberts. Kevin just gets lucky.

3. Julia Roberts is also methodical and brave. Katie jumps at everything and does stupid shit like calling her neighbor from a landline and not defending her false murder rap.

4. SWTE knows what kind of movie it is. Safe Haven is a thriller/romance/family drama/ghost story (like they said, several movies going on at once). One genre weakens the other.

By the way: Sleeping With the Enemy: great movie!

Also didn't the trailers reveal pretty much everything?

I did just want to mention that if any of us are ever so fortunate to get a ride home with Alex we should be prepared to have exactly two options for our listening pleasure: the complete works of Mark Twain on tape or thrash metal band Slayer. No "in between" will be offered, nor will any alternate suggestions be entertained. Turning on the radio, sitting in companionable silence, taking the opportunity to flirt or otherwise get to know one another will absolutely not be allowed.

These are the immutable laws of Alex's truck. If you don't like them then you can just go ahead and lug your paint cans all the way home with your noodlearms.

• Like 4

I did just want to mention that if any of us are ever so fortunate to get a ride home with Alex we should be prepared to have exactly two options for our listening pleasure: the complete works of Mark Twain on tape or thrash metal band Slayer. No "in between" will be offered, nor will any alternate suggestions be entertained. Turning on the radio, sitting in companionable silence, taking the opportunity to flirt or otherwise get to know one another will absolutely not be allowed.

These are the immutable laws of Alex's truck. If you don't like them then you can just go ahead and lug your paint cans all the way home with your noodlearms.

Did he actually like Slayer? He seemed to be pretty negative at the thought of listening to Slayer. I can't see why anyone would be negative about it, Slayer are fantastic.

• Like 1