klemjohansen

Marketing a book to funny weirdos who may not read much

I'm trying to market a couple of books, and failing miserably for a variety of reasons. One of them is that the audience for this thing is not the typical kindle-owning Nora Roberts fan.

I'm looking for advice (other than the classic "Maybe make the book not suck; herf derf" Internet response one would expect to see). I'm curious how folks who might enjoy something absurdist would choose what to read. What drove you to pick up the last book you enjoyed? Did you read a review? If so, where do you go for that sort of thing? Was it mentioned on a podcast or on NPR? did you browse Amazon for four weeks straight until you found something that sounded kinda-sorta interesting? Did you find it one of the houses you were burglarizing?

• Like 5

I usually find books through recommendations from people I respect (friends on their blogs, or like, podcast heros or whatever). I very rarely sit and browse through books until I find something that I like because it's kind of hard to know what I'm going to get with that. But I literally just bought a Kindle so maybe I'll be doing more of that in the future.

Maybe I'll buy an ad on Spontaneanation like "Buy klem's shitty book that is less than a dollar because it is, as has already been established, kinda shitty. It's on that Amazon Kindle Direct thingy- 'how pathetic is that' you ask? Well, the answer is 'fairly pathetic.' The book is called 'Promoting Stuff I Make Causes Me to Feel Sick Inside, So Don't Bother; So, please, Just Leave Me Alone.' Go out and don't buy it today!"

Hearing PFT say that would be worth wasting a couple hundred bucks.