🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Chappie (2015)

Neill Blomkamp's new film is getting slammed by reviewers (29% on Rotten Tomatoes) and audiences weren't having it either (opened at the top with only $13 million), could Blomkamp be the new M. Night Shyamalan after peaking too soon?

From what I read from video reviewers, one of the main problems that Chappie got was casting South African rap duo Die Antwoord as its main protagonists, and felt that they completely ruined the movie overall by taking too much screentime away than Chappie, as well as Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver.

What do you say, is anyone checking it out based on all the Blomkamp backlash, or are they calling it too early?

What do you say, is anyone checking it out based on all the Blomkamp backlash, or are they calling it too early?

I'm very tempted to go see it; I liked "District 9" and even "Elysium." But the thing that worries me is how several reviewers have compared Chappie to Jar-Jar Binks. When your title character who you spend most of the movie with is compared to the digital Stepin Fetchit, it's not a good sign.

I have to say, the early reports that the movie was going to be a comedy were interesting. I'm almost more curious to see that version of the movie.

One last topic for discussion: What does everybody else think of Blomkamp doing an "Alien" movie? The only "Alien" movie I've seen was "Prometheus," which is depressing for all sorts of reasons, so I can't really say what I think. All I can say is that, even though I like that he's a sci-fi director who's willing to tackle big modern issues, I kind of hope he delivers a straight-ahead "Alien" movie and not, say, an allegory for integrating animals into new environments.

One last topic for discussion: What does everybody else think of Blomkamp doing an "Alien" movie? The only "Alien" movie I've seen was "Prometheus," which is depressing for all sorts of reasons, so I can't really say what I think. All I can say is that, even though I like that he's a sci-fi director who's willing to tackle big modern issues, I kind of hope he delivers a straight-ahead "Alien" movie and not, say, an allegory for integrating animals into new environments.

I'm interested, as it sounds kind of like they're going to "Halloween: H20" it, like pick up from the last installment that people seemed to enjoy and go another way with it. That creates a continuity nightmare, and while I was okay with "Alien 3", I won't necessarily miss it or anything else that followed. I'm also pretty jazzed that the "Alien" series and "Prometheus" films will be separate things, and while it remains to be seen just how good or bad the films will be, just the fact that there will BE a second "Prometheus" makes up for issues I had with the first one only teasing me with the "Alien" stuff that I really wanted to see. Regardless of what the stories end up being, I like the look of Blomkamp's films, so that should be interesting.

Speaking of "Alien", Dark Horse Comics recently did a crossover series with the Aliens, Predator, and Engineers from Prometheus, and it was fucking garbage. The problem with the Alien and Predator comics have always been that you have to have people in them to actually have some sort of story, and they're just so hit and (usually) miss.

• Like 3

Blomkamp seems good at coming up with interesting premises but bad at doing anything interesting with them. I'm not sure what he might do with Alien, but at this point he certainly couldn't sink that franchise any deeper than Alien Resurrection or the Alien v Predator movies already did.

• Like 2

Speaking of "Alien", Dark Horse Comics recently did a crossover series with the Aliens, Predator, and Engineers from Prometheus, and it was fucking garbage. The problem with the Alien and Predator comics have always been that you have to have people in them to actually have some sort of story, and they're just so hit and (usually) miss.

I tried picturing an "Aliens Vs. Predator" comic without any humans, just aliens and the Predator. I ended up picturing a bloodier, less humorous "Spy Vs. Spy," which actually seems kind of delightful.

• Like 1

Blomkamp seems good at coming up with interesting premises but bad at doing anything interesting with them. I'm not sure what he might do with Alien, but at this point he certainly couldn't sink that franchise any deeper than Alien Resurrection or the Alien v Predator movies already did.

I think that Blomkamp is one of those guys who needs limits to be creative. District 9 worked because he had to really focus on how to make the movie with a low budget. That made him clarify the story he had because he didn't have the ability to add a bunch of extraneous stuff. That is one reason that a lot of film makers lose it after some early success, they don't have to be creative anymore because they are given free reign. When you watch old movies that had to work within the Production Code they end up being very sly and clever because they couldn't be overt.

I'm hoping to check this out this week though.

I was going to see this last weekend but after the horrible reviews and some more reading on it I decided against it, rightfully so it seems. Everything I read seemed to say that the idea and visuals were great but the overall presentation of the story faltered and the message was lost in the mayhem. Also Die Antwoord basically playing themselves as lead characters is something that should never have happened since neither Ninja or Yolandi can act their ways out of a wet paper bag. If you want further proof watch any of their music videos which all basically play out like mini-movies with the music being an afterthought, and they are truly nightmare material, especially "Cookie Thumper."

I actually liked Resurrection as an action movie because it played into the idea of a corporation still wanting to exploit these creatures even though the initial incidents were a couple centuries prior and that the only people standing in the way of that are a similar band of people who fought them originally. The whole mom/baby allegory I could have done without, but I felt the movie had a decent cast and good action. The first AvP was utter crap being PG-13 while its sequel is a guilty pleasure for me. I'm wondering how they will explain away Newt in the Blomkamp movie as that was a huge bone of contention in Alien 3 that the character Ripley spent all of the previous movie trying to save died before the opening credits, especially considering the original actress only acted in the one movie.

I tried picturing an "Aliens Vs. Predator" comic without any humans, just aliens and the Predator. I ended up picturing a bloodier, less humorous "Spy Vs. Spy," which actually seems kind of delightful.

The problem is that it would make a great movie, like a nearly dialog-free tale of these two races just duking it out for two hours (y'know, like the opposite of what the actual AvP movies were), but on the printed comic page, even if it looks great and the visual storytelling is fine, it takes little to no time to blast through and isn't really worth paying for, especially more than once, and there isn't much in the way of an ongoing story if it's just those two going at it.

I actually liked Resurrection as an action movie because it played into the idea of a corporation still wanting to exploit these creatures even though the initial incidents were a couple centuries prior and that the only people standing in the way of that are a similar band of people who fought them originally. The whole mom/baby allegory I could have done without, but I felt the movie had a decent cast and good action. The first AvP was utter crap being PG-13 while its sequel is a guilty pleasure for me. I'm wondering how they will explain away Newt in the Blomkamp movie as that was a huge bone of contention in Alien 3 that the character Ripley spent all of the previous movie trying to save died before the opening credits, especially considering the original actress only acted in the one movie.

I'm glad that Joss Whedon went on to greater film success so that the stories of how HIS vision of "Resurrection" was different from what ended up being the finished film would kind of go away. It probably wasn't going to be a whole lot better than what it was, but because he's a name that we know, it got brought up at every turn, when in fact, screenwriters get their stuff changed or rejected all the time and they're hardly the first ones to get a pass at it. See also: Kevin Smith's "Superman".

• Like 1

I think that Blomkamp is one of those guys who needs limits to be creative. District 9 worked because he had to really focus on how to make the movie with a low budget. That made him clarify the story he had because he didn't have the ability to add a bunch of extraneous stuff. That is one reason that a lot of film makers lose it after some early success, they don't have to be creative anymore because they are given free reign. When you watch old movies that had to work within the Production Code they end up being very sly and clever because they couldn't be overt.

I'm hoping to check this out this week though.

I kind of would have liked to see Blomkamp on a Marvel movie or something after doing "District 9", as I think that a lot of the success of Marvel's films, whether it's Marvel Studios or even the Marvel films set up at different studios, came from picking these directors that came from lower-budget backgrounds in completely different genres or television that may have had different ideas that really knew how to stretch a buck. You had guys like Singer, Raimi, Vaughan (who dropped out of "X-Men 3" AND "Thor" before finally ending up with "First Class"), Favreau, and then even Branagh, Whedon, Gunn, and Black. Creatively, there have been some shake-ups here and there, and a lot of those films are expensive as hell, but I've NEVER heard of any of the Marvel Studios films going crazy over budget or falling behind schedule once the productions are officially up and running. I'm not sure if they have anyone tapped for them yet, but I think Blomkamp's sensibilities could be an interesting fit for "Black Panther" or "Inhumans".

• Like 1

I'm glad that Joss Whedon went on to greater film success so that the stories of how HIS vision of "Resurrection" was different from what ended up being the finished film would kind of go away. It probably wasn't going to be a whole lot better than what it was, but because he's a name that we know, it got brought up at every turn, when in fact, screenwriters get their stuff changed or rejected all the time and they're hardly the first ones to get a pass at it. See also: Kevin Smith's "Superman".

Fox's decision-making process for Alien 4 was truly bizarre. They hired a French director that didn't speak English who was primarily known for whimsical black comedies to make an Alien movie, and then went through what I have to assume was the most insane casting process in history. 'We need an authoritative military type for this General role..I've got it! We'll get Dan Hedaya!'

I do wish they'd stuck with Whedon's original concept which had no Ripley. That's another thing about Blomkamp's Alien that makes me hesitate. I love Sigourney Weaver, but enough Ripley already.

• Like 1

The most depressing thing about this movie is that because its such a flop it makes a sequel for District 9 seem like even more of a impossibility.

Also fuck Neil Blomkamp for casting Die Antwoord in two lead roles. Hows about you go ahead and make sure you have a competent movie before you start stunt casting.

could Blomkamp be the new M. Night Shyamalan after peaking too soon?

I came here to say this!

Also, in the sense that he has seemingly bought into his own mythos.

Did anyone catch the episode of @Midnight last week with Matt Mira making both Chappie and breadsticks his answers for nearly question he was asked? He should be the guest if HDTGM reviews this movie. I'm interested to hear if he was disappointed with it or not.

I have now officially seen the movie and can report: it is HDTGM worthy. Without getting into spoilers (because honestly there is some shit in the third act of this movie that is absurd) I will just mention some highlights of weirdness.

Hugh Jackman as a computer engineer giving his biggest presentation to potential buyers of his robot while wearing tight cargo shorts.

Hugh Jackman's hair.

The weird stuff with Hugh Jackman being religious that comes out of nowhere (but seems to exist so that he has a reason to hate the robots for being godless).

Everyone in this movie is legit on the spectrum.

Die Atwood are the worst.

So many terrible metaphors. I feel like the director commentary will just consist of "See what I was trying to do?"

The movie makes everyone in South Africa look like fucking monsters. Seriously. Nobody in this movie is a redeemable human being at all. District 9 made an effort to show that the criminal alien element was that way because they had been marginalized and could only live on the fringe because they were treated so badly. Not so in this movie where they are all just comically awful people.

Also, people have painted their guns in neon colors and one character has a solid gold gun for some reason. Oh, and someone in the movie has a rubber chicken in his glovebox, as people just always do.

(Also, Blomkamp on Black Panther would be great. Just don't let him write it. I think that we might need to put him on some type of time out from writing/directing for a little bit).

Did anyone catch the episode of @Midnight last week with Matt Mira making both Chappie and breadsticks his answers for nearly question he was asked? He should be the guest if HDTGM reviews this movie. I'm interested to hear if he was disappointed with it or not.

Yeah it was great hearing those jokes and how he decided to troll the show.

• Like 1

I just can't imagine what would drive a person to deliberately cast Die Antwoord in their movie.

• Like 1

I thought this movie was great. It did have a lot of weird crap going on in it and it was a very self-conscious combination of Robocop and Short Circuit, which means it has an inherent tonal challenge in dealing with artificial intelligence since one of those films is a goofy comedy and one is a harsh, ultra-violent satire. I had TONS OF FUN watching Die Antwoord also be weird.

The stuff with the colored guns and Jackman's religiosity, outfit, and hair is all, I think, very South Africa specific and would make more sense to the populace of Johannesburg. I really admire Neill Blomkamp for being so blatantly idiosyncratic in mashing all these elements together and making references to things other movies just don't bother with. Sure, maybe the type of South African Hugh Jackman is playing is not familiar to me, but the drastic differences between him and Dev Patel's character created by that portrayal just heighten their separation even more.

I am all-in for this crazy shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0prafzw0

I have to assume Die Antwoord just pulls out a racism checklist before every video and makes sure to check off as many boxes as possible before they're done.

I have to assume Die Antwoord just pulls out a racism checklist before every video and makes sure to check off as many boxes as possible before they're done.

Racism and hints of pedophilia if you watch Cookie Thumper.

• Like 1

I feel like if you decided to make a rap video about the Brutals in Zardoz and combine that with some HOT BEATZ, it would be that video. So.... I love it.

Her voice is disconcerting as it doesn't seem like it should be coming from her mouth.

since June is curious about robots via BB-8... maybe Chappie is the next step?

[media='']

[/media]

Sign in to follow this