🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Chappie (2015)

I thought this movie was great. It did have a lot of weird crap going on in it and it was a very self-conscious combination of Robocop and Short Circuit, which means it has an inherent tonal challenge in dealing with artificial intelligence since one of those films is a goofy comedy and one is a harsh, ultra-violent satire. I had TONS OF FUN watching Die Antwoord also be weird.

Quasar gets it. I was really upset this movie had such bad reception. People took it waaaaaay too seriously because nerds who are into artificial intelligence can only handle it one way: serioussssss. This was a fucking scifi-COMEDY. Total homage to the original robocop. Infact it's a better reboot of Robocop than the actual reboot because it understands the tone. Satirizing futurism. AMAZING soundtrack. Great pacing. Surprisingly emotional when the robot is the most sympathetic character(part of the satire). Fantastic visual effects. One of the best scifi movies that year and it just got tossed in the trash by critics who couldn't recognize a joke when they saw one. And I mean saw, cause there's a lot of visual humour.

Okay I just watched this and it is terrible, though there are some positives. The action, as in all Blomkamp movies, is top notch and well choreographed, Yolandi actually gives a decent performance as a motherly character to Chappie, and while it's a sort of Robocop ripoff, it still has some original aspects to it. Unfortunately, Ninja is a god awful actor, and the fact that their music and merchandise is all over this movie is a total mind melter and it also seems that Blomkamp was trying to mix video game and cartoon culture in a real world setting, which just didn't work.

Just saw this thing, and yes it needs its own HDTGM episode.

Imagine the movie Short Circuit, but then have the robot get kidnapped by B-Rad from Malibu's Most Wanted, a somewhat slow Miley Cyrus impersonator, and what I guess is South Africa's version of a chollo. They teach the robot their mannerisms and speech patterns while trying to get it to commit crimes.

The fact that the supposedly competent hardcore criminals wear shirts with their own faces on them simply boggles the mind, and thats just the beginning of the craziness.

I really am bummed that he opted to do Elysium and Chappie before doing a follow up to District 9. It's now nine years later and the possibility of him doing the sequel seems less and less likely.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this