đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

What Makes A Good HDTGM Movie?

I got curious about what kind of movie Paul picks for the podcast films and had a little too much time on my hands so I thought I would attempt to answer this question. I figured that the IMDB keywords would probably be the best indicator of traits, so I copied all of the lists and aggregated them to see what key words were most common among HDTGM movies. Some of the films had as many as 250 keywords while others like Gooby only had a couple. I did not take any weighting into account and the keywords could be either very common or inaccurate, so bear in mind that this is just a rough attempt.

This is the list of the most popular keywords. When I took all 101 movies and copied the keywords, I came up with a list of more than 10,000 combos, the vast majority of keywords had only one or two hit, so I am only showing you those that had 20 or more movies with that keyword

lbT52VB.jpg

Here it is broken down by genre, a film can be tagged with more than one genre on IMDB, so some movies hit multiple genres but here are the most popular genres for HDTGM movies:

RskXh1h.jpg

I filtered just for the word "based on" to get a view of the source material of the films, again there is some redundancy.

FBVFadt.jpg

It's a lot of data, so if anyone wants a list of movies that fall in any one of the categories or some other info let me know and I'm happy to post it.

• Like 2

I think a good (bad) HDTGM movie is one that tries to be good, or thinks it is good. In other words, not something like Sharknado 2, which is purely made for people to watch ironically and tweet about and make GIFs out of.

So..what makes a HDTGM movie is not being like Sharknado 2, a HDTGM move?

So..what makes a HDTGM movie is not being like Sharknado 2, a HDTGM move?

I know they covered it, and therefore it is an HDTGM movie. I was talking about the spirit of a HDTGM movie--the elements that make for great comedic dissection. There's no sport in making fun of something that is made just for people to make fun of. Whereas something like Staying Alive is completely earnest about being art and making a statement.

Stangely, I was just reading this article today and I think it answers the question very well.

http://www.avclub.co...his-get-m-92111

Thanks for posting that. (1) It was a nice peek behind the curtain; and (2) Paul also addressed the "intentionally bad" thing, but better than I did.

AVC: You also have the Snakes On A Plane phenomenon, where if a movie is winking too hard at the audience, it kills a lot of the enjoyment.

PS: That’s the thing: People are always saying, “Do Piranha. Do Piranha.” And I get it. I’m not saying Piranha is a good movie. Actually, I do like the first one a lot, but I think the first one knows exactly what it is, and is catering to that. The second one, I have different issues with, but again, they’re in the same boat; they were trying to wink at the camera. Well, those aren’t as much fun for me.

I would still love to have a Director's Edition type of episode where each of our heroes talks about a bad movie they were personally involved in. I know it would be next-to-impossible because these guys have to keep working, but I still dream about a Year One episode or a Bride Wars episode.

I would still love to have a Director's Edition type of episode where each of our heroes talks about a bad movie they were personally involved in. I know it would be next-to-impossible because these guys have to keep working, but I still dream about a Year One episode or a Bride Wars episode.

I don't think anyone's going to lose work over trashing "Piranha 3DD" though. Paul wasn't in much of it, but it'd be interesting to hear the differences between working on the first one, which was a fairly big production, and the second, which was more or less straight-to-VOD trash.

I don't think anyone's going to lose work over trashing "Piranha 3DD" though. Paul wasn't in much of it, but it'd be interesting to hear the differences between working on the first one, which was a fairly big production, and the second, which was more or less straight-to-VOD trash.

True, but he's said flat-out he's not interested in an episode on it, so I don't think it's happening.

Sign in to follow this