πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 178 β€” Allison Weiss' Secret Sad Dance Party

Singer-songwriter Allison Weiss joins Tim Meadows, Lauren Lapkus, and Eugene Cordero in her secret sad dance party in musical episode of improv4humans with Matt Besser! Allison plays songs that inspire scenes about how the way people eat is the exact way they are in relationships, a day in the life of DJ Mofo, and a husband who finds everything he says funny. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Allison Weiss’ albums over at www.allisonw.com!

Oh my god Allison Weiss is so fucking good, love her voice

• Like 9

Loved this one. I'm naturally a little skeptical going into a music episode (I realize I'm a stubborn ass), but this was great. Allison's music was lovely, and she was a total sweetheart. Going to seek out her stuff now.

• Like 2

Loved this one. I'm naturally a little skeptical going into a music episode (I realize I'm a stubborn ass), but this was great. Allison's music was lovely, and she was a total sweetheart. Going to seek out her stuff now.

Β 

It's o-k to not care for the music episodes in general. I also find it weird when Colbert or Daily Show would have a musical guest.

It's cool when people dig it - it's also valid to not care for it here.

In case an official tally is being kept, I'm in the "dislike" column. Very jarring of the comedy mood to have an overly earnest songwriter on every ten minutes. Thought this was behind us

• Like 1

Man, I hate when Matt Besser interrupts the +52 hours of free genius level comedy he brings me a year with a combined total of maybe 20 minutes of live music that I'm too stupid to fast forward through if I don't enjoy it and have to come on the forums to complain about instead. What the fuck is your problem, Matt Besser!?

• Like 18

Man, I hate when Matt Besser interrupts the +52 hours of free genius level comedy he brings me a year with a combined total of maybe 20 minutes of live music that I'm too stupid to fast forward through if I don't enjoy it and have to come on the forums to complain about instead. What the fuck is your problem, Matt Besser!?

Β 

Dude just stop it- quit it with the snark. People are just respectfully expressing their opinion and backup up their constructive critiques.

• Like 4

I liked this episode. I loved the scene where Eugene was the unfunny husband. I also love Lauren's reference pool (Duck Hunt, "I am not a prize to be won" which was a Jasmine quote from Aladdin).

Β 

I like the musical episodes just fine, even if Matt's guests aren't to my personal taste. They still ultimately lead to great comedy scenes. My favorite performance is still Matt himself singing "It's Not."

• Like 4

Β 

Dude just stop it- quit it with the snark. People are just respectfully expressing their opinion and backup up their constructive critiques.

Β 

No Snark, That be the truth

• Like 2

I absolutely adore the musical episodes from every angle. As a listener they're great and as a way for artists to get some exposure they're great and as a window into Besser's musical taste they're great and also as a thing that's great, they're great. Allison Weiss has a new fan and is great. This episode is great.

• Like 5

I absolutely adore the musical episodes from every angle. As a listener they're great and as a way for artists to get some exposure they're great and as a window into Besser's musical taste they're great and also as a thing that's great, they're great. Allison Weiss has a new fan and is great. This episode is great.

Β 

I agree, and I think it's a refreshing way to get scene suggestions going since it wasn't written to be specifically a scene (not like when Matt specifically asks Twitter for words). I don't really find the contrast between the earnest musical breaks and the absurd sketches to be a bother at all.

• Like 3

I had to listen to Eugene's unfunny husband character say "But I was hoping that there could be some silver lining to this playbook hehe" six times in a row. So good. I was cracking up.

• Like 3

i cant stand the musical guests. One vote for "please never have weird emo singer/songers on the show."

Β 

I agree, and I think it's a refreshing way to get scene suggestions going since it wasn't written to be specifically a scene (not like when Matt specifically asks Twitter for words). I don't really find the contrast between the earnest musical breaks and the absurd sketches to be a bother at all.

Neither do I, and I'd go so far as to call that contrast delightful and compelling.

Β 

Incidentally, I tried to phrase my enthusiasm in a positive way, rather than saying, "I literally don't even comprehend why people would feel the need to turn up on a forum for the greatest podcast in the universe and try to dissuade this man from doing this truly wonderful and interesting thing, let alone, good grief, register an account just to do so." Which is also how I feel.

• Like 2

In case an official tally is being kept, I'm in the "dislike" column. Very jarring of the comedy mood to have an overly earnest songwriter on every ten minutes. Thought this was behind us
i cant stand the musical guests. One vote for "please never have weird emo singer/songers on the show."

MATTY B RUNS BARTERTOWN.

• Like 19

Great mmmmuuusical guest! Her albums are only $7 each on Bandcamp if anyone wants to give an I4H Bump.

Β 

I know improv isn't really supposed to be about 'jokes', but Lauren fucking SLAYED me with "Ya wanna .69?" and "Well, write today."

• Like 6

I thought Allison was great and I really like the music episodes. The Hallelujah the Hills and Dave Bazan episodes are two of my all time favs.

Β 

It's funny hearing Besser talk about songwriting with the musicians. It makes me think there is a frustrated, folk troubadour somewhere inside him.

• Like 4

Jesus christ, I can't believe there are more actual unironic "buh-buh-buh music? in my comedy? boo hoo" posts. I don't usually engage in trollish behavior such as what I'm about to employ, but seriously, fuck off.

• Like 9