🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shampoodler

The Dungeon Masters (documentary)

Wondering if any Nerd Poker fans have seen this and leaving the Hulu link here in case anyone feels like watching. The people featured in it are.... interesting?

Yeah, I saw it and would not recommend it to people interested in the role playing games. It barely goes into the craft of being a dungeon master, you just see whatever else they do. Also, the central characters are just so unlikable, it is hard to care. There is a great documentary to be made about DM'ing, this is not it.

This was the only movie I ever gave a 1 star rating on Netflix. This was not a documentary, this was a hatchet job. While ostensibly being about DMs, the real focus of the film was showing the private turmoil of a handful of cherry-picked people, all of whom happened to be dysfunctional or damaged in some way, and attempted to portray their gaming hobby as a sad respite from, or cause of, their miserable lives.

I feel really sorry for the subjects of this "documentary." I have to suspect they were conned or hoodwinked by the producers. Perhaps they thought they would be showcasing their DM skills and love for the game and were rudely surprised when they saw the final product. I can't know for sure. But this film is in no way representative of everyone who plays D&D and basically amounts to a high-brow swirlie on geek culture.

The people who made this film ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Sign in to follow this