🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 105.5 — MINISODE 105.5

^ Plot twist: the shark is her husband and she's pregnant with a super-intelligent sharkbaby.

Also the beach is a ghost for some reason.

• Like 1

OR the Sharks aren't really murderers, they're just on the run from said abusive husband.

And the shark is a cop. He got mad at her after she ordered sushi

Nicolas Sparks stories create genuine emotion in me alright, and that emotion is apathy. Gee, I wonder who ends up/is already dead in the next one?

and cancer. If it's a Nicholas sparks movie, someone either got cancer or will get it. It's his version of the Hitchcock cameo or the shot from inside the trunk for Tarentino.

Went to see this on my birthday with a group of friends as i'm a sucker for sharks.

Came out right in the sweet spot of CG where it looked like finding Nemo but likely cost them the majority of the budget. On the other side of the spectrum, the practical effects in this movie are absolutely amazing IMO, anything the actors can touch looks so real.

also

image.png?w=500&c=1

• Like 2

I found it pretty hard to get by the audio quality of this episode. Even using a basic handheld recorder or a decent cellphone (with headset or without) would've sounded a lot better. I work in radio so I have a way higher standard for these things, but that was tough.

Just finished watching Deep Blue Sea for the first time in about ten years and I have to say I found the science to be pretty solid...

11RUijoqnc1yJW.gif

• Like 2

This is going to be an amazing episode because I remember loving this movie, but I don't exactly remember why (and I was very young). I don't know if I ever would've even thought to watch it again, if not for this podcast. Also, LL plays a chef named Preacher. I'm also pretty sure you could do a whole episode just talking about the director's other work... A varied and interesting filmography!

Good news about this week's movie is that there is a 95% chance it is on TV right now, no matter when you are reading this, no matter what time it is.

• Like 8

If I had to pick the best thing about this movie, it would be that every time someone gets eaten, it looks like a cartoon shark ripping apart a Barbie or Ken doll.

2nd best thing is that Thomas Jane is a pretty, pretty man.

I'm looking forward to this episode because honestly, the movie - for what it is - wasn't terrible, just sort of cheeseball. I might actually watch it again, because action sequences make me all ADD, so I spent half the movie goofing around online and then having to rewind when I realized someone had just been chomped. I probably missed some stuff.

The conversation where they're trying to find the dead lady's vibrator batteries was odd. It seemed like maybe they were trying to be funny, but it just came off badly. Then again, maybe they were trying to be clever. "Where would we find batteries other than a flashlight or clock radio? Somewhere a scientist/compulsive masturbator would think to look?" Then again, I don't remember any of the dialogue being all that good, so it's really just one scene of many that could have benefitted from the writers asking themselves, "How do human beings talk?"

I did find Stellan Skaarsgard's (not going to look up the correct spelling) death to be the scariest of all of them. Being tied down to that metal stretcher thing under water and being aware but helpless seems worse than being eaten alive quickly. Samuel L. Jackson didn't even have time to register that he was going to get eaten. If you're going to die via shark, I think that's the better option.

• Like 2

I did find Stellan Skaarsgard's (not going to look up the correct spelling) death to be the scariest of all of them. Being tied down to that metal stretcher thing under water and being aware but helpless seems worse than being eaten alive quickly. Samuel L. Jackson didn't even have time to register that he was going to get eaten. If you're going to die via shark, I think that's the better option.

It's pretty horrifying, because either way he's a dead man, and here he is being used as a weapon. He's just so, SO fucked...

• Like 2

yeah, theres 2 live eps in largo tonight (3/14) and another 2 at the start of april (4/4) which means we have 4 live eps to look forward to .. i love the energy from the live shows

http://www.largo-la.com/calendar/

edit: if anyone is in LA you should try to go see David O'Doherty in Largo .. hes a very funny stand-up (or maybe that should be sit-down) from over here in Ireland.

That explains it, thanks!

So much OJ talk, it reminds me to finish my epic How Did This Get Made super-erotic fanfic. Now at least I have a title: Pulp Fiction.

"I came."

- Zukes

I have to say, while I fully acknowledge that Deep Blue Sea is utter chod, I still watch it and thoroughly enjoy it whenever it's on TV. Especially the bit where the super ninja sharks throw a man at the window and flood the installation.

Totally with you on this! It's like Demolition Man that way: if I come across it on TV, I am absolutely watching it to the end every time.

And folks, let's not forget it gave us this LL classic:

• Like 1

head chef was not impressed

2s7xjr5.jpg

Didn't mind this movie at all, watched it last night. enjoyed it much more then the sharknado films. those films I found myself fast forwarding a lot. I didn't understand the need for a bird flying around the kitchen. like the most unsanitary thing you could have next to monkeys. I found myself cheering when the annoying woman from the sparanos tony's sister got what's coming to her. I think tony paid that shark off to kill her.

• Like 3

I think what I like about this movie is that there is a degree of taking itself seriously. I don't like the Sharknado movies because they know how bad they are and they are trying to be as terrible as possible but Deep Blue Sea is different, I feel like they tried to make a serious badass shark movie with some elements of comedy and what they did was make a fantastically bad movie, which makes me love it.

Upon thinking about it, I think there may be something wrong with me that I enjoy terrible movies that were made by people who thought they were going to make something legitimately good but I hate movies that are bad on purpose.

• Like 3

Upon thinking about it, I think there may be something wrong with me that I enjoy terrible movies that were made by people who thought they were going to make something legitimately good but I hate movies that are bad on purpose.

If there is something wrong with you then there is something wrong with all of us...

You just succinctly described the sentiment of 98% of the people here. You are among friends! :)

• Like 2

Oh! I forgot about that dumb bird! I had to check imdb because it sounded like Amy Sedaris. Sadly, it wasn't her. Imagine this movie if the parrot was Jerri Blank. That's just a quality film that didn't happen.

• Like 1

If there is something wrong with you then there is something wrong with all of us...

You just succinctly described the sentiment of 98% of the people here. You are among friends! :)

Finally, a forum I can call home. :P

• Like 3

I think the best part of this movie is how genuinely surprised everyone in the facility seems to be. Half the characters seem to have not known there were sharks at all, the other half didn't seem to understand how smart they were making them and how fragile their protection system was.

Genuinely delightful to think that most of the reactions are, 'Holy shit! There are a lot of really smart, crazy dangerous sharks around here! Who knew?'

• Like 3

Ohh I forgot to add, Chef LL COOl J got omelets right in his Farewall speech to his wife and kids. Don't use milk or water, the french just use eggs. not sure about that only using two egg bit but I guess how many eggs you uses has to do with the size of your pan. I use three, and the main trick is keep the pan good and hot before adding the better. never add butter on a cold pan or it will always stick. I loved that out of all the things he wanted to share with his son and wife in his last moments of his life was his love for making good omelets.. LOL

Chef LL COOl J, you rule!

The unofficial sponsor of this weeks show is shark steaks over night dot com. a delicious shark steak will be sent to you each month.

• Like 5

I don't think you can plan the type of insanity that happens in a film where people are trying. People are too self-conscious in an intentionally bad movie because they are trying to show they are in on the joke. Then you have something like The Room where you know that every single take everyone is just putting it all out there. You can't fake that type of thing.

I find that a lot of old movies, especially the pre-code stuff, falls into the so bad it is good category. These were movies made before cinema tropes were in place and so they are literally making up the rules as they go along and everything is unexpected. Like "wait, is this a movie about a guy who gets rich people stoned and then steals their stuff" unexpected. Maybe that is what a terrible film has; none of the normal tropes that competent artists lean on making the whole thing an adventure.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this