๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—

I just finished this movie and holy shit what the fuck. I got so excited when I saw this in my "suggested for you" queue on Netflix- Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Nathan Fillion, Kevin Bacon! I love the whole normal-person-puts-on-costume-beats-bad-people-up genre but this was so so so fucking horrible. What's with the religious shit? Ellen Page rapes Rainn Wilson. The cop comes by before he even figures out that Rainn Wilson is Crimson Bolt, doesn't say what he's there for- and he leaves cause he gets distracted by a lie about a dog?? Oh my god. Yeah. This needs to be an episode.

No. This isn't a normal person becomes a superhero movie, it's a movie about mentally unhinged people becoming superheroes. Wilson is a guy who feels that he needs something to become more in life and the religious show was all the push he needed to follow "his calling." Ellen Page was just looking for some sort of outlet for her rage/psychosis and her assault on Wilson was just another way of her using an outlet while also fighting against some of critiques that are common in comic books in general.

• Like 2

I think there are criticisms to be made about this movie, but I don't know that it would work for the podcast.

• Like 2

Hell, the whole filmography of James Gunn is Next Level Bonkers (the guy who directed Slither and Ellen Page raping Rainn Wilson went on to direct one of the most widely-seen, profitable, and enjoyed movies of 2014) and is certainly worth at least one podcast of discussion, but I think this is a great little movie. It does a lot of honest and disturbing things with our notion of vigilante justice, superheroes, and what kind of people might actually be attracted to committing violence to achieve some sort of grand sense of justice. You know, religious zealots or the kind of people who wear the Punisher skull logo on t-shirts.... because they look up to a murderer with severe PTSD?

• Like 2

I.M.H.O. I liked "Super" way more than "Guardians Of The Galaxy"

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this