🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 339 — LIVE from SXSW 2015

I also thought the Kanye's mom joke went too far, but once the toothpaste is out of the tube what are you gonna do? Horatio's instincts seemed to be to tag it with a couple shock laughs and let it go away on its own.

Kinda reminds me of a joke that the Onion made when Weird Al's parents died in a carbon monoxide leak, they said he commemorated them with a parody of "Tears in Heaven." Too far.

Really, though, if I ever recorded an improvised character-based fake talk show, I would be SUCH a Monday morning quarterback about every joke.

I agree, Horatio immediately turned it into laughs merely based on using the word Titties for effect, which got me laughing.

If you don't like it, don't like it, but I don't think it was that egregious. Also, I thought it was a neck job that she died during?

either way, Horatio singing Ball on top to the tune of Love Lockdown was hilarious and so quick. I felt like most of the people there and on the panel had no idea what he was doing until he did it a second or third time.

• Like 2

I would listen to the Adam Pally episode, one of the earliest ones. That was the one that got me into the podcast when I didn't really understand it and I still think its the funniest. Adam plays it more grounded as opposed to Sean and Hayes and constantly insults and shits on them for all the absurd things they say throughout the whole episode.

I have gladly seen a lot of tips for me here in the comments since posting that, and I am 100% an Adam Pally fan, so I will likely listen to that today.

Was I the only one who thought Horatio was supposed to be doing a different character but then Kroll started calling him kayne because he stole the mic and he just went with it and became kayne?

this might explain why, IMO, this was one of my least favorite characters. I love Kanye so I was excited to see what kind of stuff Horatio would do with him but it came off pretty lazy (for lack of a better word), just kind of making obvious jokes, though I did enjoy his balls on top song.

• Like 1

this might explain why, IMO, this was one of my least favorite characters. I love Kanye so I was excited to see what kind of stuff Horatio would do with him but it came off pretty lazy (for lack of a better word), just kind of making obvious jokes, though I did enjoy his balls on top song.

I'm not actually sold on the idea that Horatio was supposed to be there at all. His arrival seemed to surprise everyone and didn't come at a natural moment and Scott seemed thrown for a second.

• Like 1

Also, Sly isn't wrong about the taste of Moxie. As a native Mainer, I love it, but watching people cringe when they try it is a treat unto itself.

I found a bottle of this at Cost Plus last week and drank it. As an American who genuinely enjoys Irn Bru, I found it strong but drinkable.

Anyway, I think I could've done without Raj in this ep. I like him a lot of the time but I don't really enjoy CBB when it intersects with actual pop culture, I guess? I like pop culture. I love CBB. But, to me, when the twain meet it feels more awkward than funny and his Kayne was so obvious that it didn't add anything to me beyond his usual over-the-top stuff.

I liked this episode a lot, don't really understand all the criticism it is getting. Sure it went to weird places, but that's one of the reasons I love this show. I'm so happy for Todd and the baby!

It was great to hear from Stallone (the kid has moxie) and El Chupacabra/Baby, it's been too long since we last heard from either of them. El Chupacabra is my favorite Kroll character, so it was a nice surprise when Nick changed character mid-show. Colin was good, even though he kind of fell into the background (but the farting cum bit was great) and Horatio came in strong, but sort of bailed on the show; like he has done previously in the live shows.

As for the Hollywood Handbook discussion I decided to give them another try because I liked the ads so much in these 2 newest episodes. I previously tried to listen for an episode and didn't like it that much, but I think that was because I didn't get their shtick at first. Now I have listened to both PFT, Scott/Jeff, Kumail, the engineers and Jason Mantzoukas episodes and I have started to like the show very much. I agree that it takes a while to get in on the show, but it's worth your time; I can't wait to listen to the rest of the episodes!

• Like 7

I hope that Pardo can host that podcast, starring special guest, Lauren Lapkus.

Also, Sly isn't wrong about the taste of Moxie. As a native Mainer, I love it, but watching people cringe when they try it is a treat unto itself.

newmoxie1.jpg

I would also like to, uh, express my fondness for that particular soft drink.

• Like 2

It was pretty much inevitable that somebody would call me "easily offended" because I mentioned that mean-spirited jokes about the tragic death of somebody's mother didn't jive with me.

"Jeez, all I'm doin is diggin up the skulls of stillborn babies and fucking their eye sockets. Don't see why you gotta be such a prude". I think everybody draws the line somewhere.

• Like 1

It was pretty much inevitable that somebody would call me "easily offended" because I mentioned that mean-spirited jokes about the tragic death of somebody's mother didn't jive with me.

"Jeez, all I'm doin is diggin up the skulls of stillborn babies and fucking their eye sockets. Don't see why you gotta be such a prude". I think everybody draws the line somewhere.

I get what you're saying. Michael Jackson was mocked because he may (probably) have been guilty of some horrible crimes. The other people mocked (like a baby being f*cked) were all fictitious. Kanye's mother did nothing wrong and died of an accident during surgery. I wasn't offended, but I totally get what you mean by that being a little over-the-line for you.

Kanye West was probably one of, if not the most, unfunny characters in CBB history. Truly gross to listen to. Boring, even. For someone who's been so fucking effected by the overdose of a friend, it makes me sad/disappointed that Scott would so gleefully partake in mocking a mans dead mother, especially when that son frequently and recently has made some incredible art dedicated to her. It doesn't help that the "joke" boiled down to nothing more than "I want to fuck donda west's dead tits, because she died when her son got her plastic surgery".

And seriously Horatio? Kanye is a fucking MASSIVE FAN of you AND Saturday night live, you fucking douche. If anybody listened to your half-baked podcast I'd hope you would issue an apology for that shitty character work. However, it's just a shitty improv4humans doppelgänger so don't bother. how could such a great show go from 100-0 in so little time?

I just wanna say this so we can move on. Death is NOT tragic. Death just happens. It happens to everyone and is really rather unremarkable in most cases. Dying on the operating table while getting a boob job your son has paid for? I'm sorry but if that situation cannot be mined for humor then the Jews caused 911 FOR NOTHING!!!!

• Like 2

Maybe if there were memorial shirts for donda west she would get more respect, but hey; we can't all be hosts of a phish podcast. Some people can't measure up to Harris, and certainly don't deserve any of the careful consideration put forth by the earwolf family so as not to offend people. Some people, like donda west, just have to be content with birthing amazing artists and being active participants in the fight for civil rights. I guess it WAS funny!

Kanye West was probably one of, if not the most, unfunny characters in CBB history. Truly gross to listen to. Boring, even. For someone who's been so fucking effected by the overdose of a friend, it makes me sad/disappointed that Scott would so gleefully partake in mocking a mans dead mother, especially when that son frequently and recently has made some incredible art dedicated to her. It doesn't help that the "joke" boiled down to nothing more than "I want to fuck donda west's dead tits, because she died when her son got her plastic surgery".

And seriously Horatio? Kanye is a fucking MASSIVE FAN of you AND Saturday night live, you fucking douche. If anybody listened to your half-baked podcast I'd hope you would issue an apology for that shitty character work. However, it's just a shitty improv4humans doppelgänger so don't bother. how could such a great show go from 100-0 in so little time?

This is harsh and unfair. You're allowed to not like something. You can register an account just to voice that complaint if you want, but you shouldn't just attack someone for a bit that you find offensive. Someone else in this thread already said it was over the line for them but they did it in a polite way. Lay off.

• Like 6

I just wanna say this so we can move on. Death is NOT tragic. Death just happens. It happens to everyone and is really rather unremarkable in most cases. Dying on the operating table while getting a boob job your son has paid for? I'm sorry but if that situation cannot be mined for humor then the Jews caused 911 FOR NOTHING!!!!

Donda west died slowly and painfully rom heart disease brought on by medical malpractice days after a faulty operation on her face, not on the operating table during a boob job.

• Like 4

This is harsh and unfair. You're allowed to not like something. You can register an account just to voice that complaint if you want, but you shouldn't just attack someone for a bit that you find offensive. Someone else in this thread already said it was over the line for them but they did it in a polite way. Lay off.

Harsh and unfair? That reminds me of a podcast I just listened to!

Harsh and unfair? That reminds me of a podcast I just listened to!

lol comedy fans sure do take their comedy seriously. good work you guys, good work!

• Like 1

lol comedy fans sure do take their comedy seriously. good work you guys, good work!

I tend to let offensive shit go when it's at least wrapped in a joke.

Donda west died slowly and painfully rom heart disease brought on by medical malpractice days after a faulty operation on her face, not on the operating table during a boob job.

Hey good for you for knowing a thing buddy!!

Except wait a second, an onset of terminally fatal heart disease in a few days? Nope.

When you go in for an elective surgery you have to sign a million documents confirming that you understand you might die from any number of complications. "Medical malpractice" is so often only a factor of having enough money to hire a lawyer and sue someone.

• Like 3

LOL. That's funny, but not as funny as a baby's funeral. BLECH

• Like 1

Maybe if there were memorial shirts for donda west she would get more respect, but hey; we can't all be hosts of a phish podcast.

Hey you don't have to like Kanye OR Harris. You're allowed to do both

• Like 4

My soundcloud improv caught fire during this ep. This might have been my favourite. I made a funny Bing about Entertainment Tonight opening their show and leading with the entire Horatio clip(i am paraphrasing). I deleted it though. Its a touchy subject and hard to create a lot of perspective around all the different views that can be stirred up around a pop culture medium such as improv. I cannot say I have never got in trouble myself with a few off the wall remarks. Bing there ding that :)

Sign in to follow this