🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 339 — LIVE from SXSW 2015

I will never not love Lauren Lapkus

I hope that Pardo can host that podcast, starring special guest, Lauren Lapkus.

Also, Sly isn't wrong about the taste of Moxie. As a native Mainer, I love it, but watching people cringe when they try it is a treat unto itself.

newmoxie1.jpg

• Like 9

I honestly don't know if it's that or if he's doing a bit. He's messed up with others in the past, but it always happens with Todd. Only the Choctaw knows for sure and he's not telling.

but it also happens with Ho-ho, which is why "it" is now considered maybe a man or woman

• Like 5

Are you kidding? Sean and Hayes were the best part of the episode by far.

Those guys only know one speed and one direction, 100 miles per hour to your funny bone.

If anyone who enjoys Comedy Bang Bang isn't also listening to Hollywood Handbook they're messed up in a bad way.

disagree, tried to listen once because the guest was someone I liked, and it was just not fun for me. Maybe there were too many things that are HH bits, so I was out of the loop? Please give me a quick 5 of your favorite memorable episodes, for comedy sake, and not necessarily for self-referential bits. I want to pick up another earworlf-cast to round out my work week of commutes, but it failed to hook me before

but it also happens with Ho-ho, which is why "it" is now considered maybe a man or woman

Good point. Probably just not easy to keep it all straight with four people on stage, three of them with multiple-character histories and some of them doing multiple-characters during a show. At a certain point he may just be looking at them and trying to remember exactly who or what he's speaking to.

Also....BLECH.

• Like 2

Aaahhhh, Nick Kroll was on fire this episode.

• Like 1

Was I the only one who thought Horatio was supposed to be doing a different character but then Kroll started calling him kayne because he stole the mic and he just went with it and became kayne?

• Like 4

disagree, tried to listen once because the guest was someone I liked, and it was just not fun for me. Maybe there were too many things that are HH bits, so I was out of the loop? Please give me a quick 5 of your favorite memorable episodes, for comedy sake, and not necessarily for self-referential bits. I want to pick up another earworlf-cast to round out my work week of commutes, but it failed to hook me before

It takes a little while to acclimate to, for sure

, but once you do, whoa boy.

It's hard to pick some eps since the episodes with the strongest pre interview bits aren't necessarily the eps with the best interviews!

Id say episode 5 with PFT is great throughout, so is the John Cochran Ep and the most recent one with Kumail. Scott Aukerman and co ep is legendary, as is "Sean and Hayes our closest friends"

The Erin Gibson episode has a great interview, so does the Gracie helbig episode.

• Like 5

Sinbad, BJ Novak, Paul Scheer, Aubrey Plaza, Pauley Shore

• Like 3

Guys, I know these kind of comments are always met with a sentiment of "if you don't like it, geeeeet outta here!", but I have to voice my concerns over some of the jokes made. The jokes about babyfucking, whatever, cumfarts, ok, but the stuff about Kanye's mother was, in my opinion, super distasteful.

"I mean, he lost his mother from a plastic surgery accident, I mean it's like...[halfhearted grumbles]"

Followed by a bit of riffing on getting his mom some bangin' titties. I know Kanye is pretty villified these days, but I really don't think that makes it ok to mock the death of his mother, or, as Scott did, imply that it's somehow not a tragedy, because anyone who dies from plastic surgery knows the risks.

Maybe I'm being lame and uncool here, but as a big fan of Scott and Horatio, it sorta felt like when you're at a family reunion and your cool uncle all of the sudden starts telling racist jokes. Kind of a bummer.

(For what it's worth, it was a breast reduction, by the way, not a breast augmentation)

• Like 10

Was I the only one who thought Horatio was supposed to be doing a different character but then Kroll started calling him kayne because he stole the mic and he just went with it and became kayne?

Horatio always seems most-willing to go in a different direction as soon as someone suggests it, so I wouldn't be surprised. Sometimes it's gold, sometimes it's confusing, but I love it either way.

• Like 1

Todd is a character played by a woman. It's kind of an accidental fourth-wall breaking thing. He's staring at a friend and it's tough to remember that she's playing a he right now.

Nah... Scott's just an abusive monster who takes out his frustrations on his nephew.

• Like 2

The Scott Awkwardman & Jeff Ulrich ep is a good one to try, in that the post-intro part of it is somewhat similar to a CBB group improv scenario rather than the usual hilarious fake interview. Sinbad is my all time favorite guest segment because he immediately gets the vibe and is super funny (and probably partly out of surprise and relief that such a big-shot old guy like him fit in so quickly to the tone of the show.) Dave Thomas is also a phenomenal guest.

• Like 5

I've listened to a few HH episodes and thought they were alright, then looked in forum thread and there were about 200 comments from people posting in-jokes and memes at each other. I think it being one of the less popular shows on earwolf has created some very dedicated fans, but this enthusiasm ends up having the effect of being slightly alienating to newcomers.

I'm sure it's something I would get if I persisted more, but I don't really have the need for more podcasts right now.

• Like 6

EH! Wrong.

I really don't think anyone meant any disrespect by it. It's obviously still on their minds. Not surprising at all that it would come up in an improv setting where you're being very reactionary.

I didn't mean to imply I read disrespect into that. I edited my post to clarify.

ps - savage = good in my lexicon.

Oh good! I love a Colin show. (Old Scott joke)

• Like 2

Oh good! I love a Colin show. (Old Scott joke)

Scott must have been so annoyed when Colin showed up AGAIN. Can't this guy find a phone?

• Like 3

Guys, I know these kind of comments are always met with a sentiment of "if you don't like it, geeeeet outta here!", but I have to voice my concerns over some of the jokes made. The jokes about babyfucking, whatever, cumfarts, ok, but the stuff about Kanye's mother was, in my opinion, super distasteful.

"I mean, he lost his mother from a plastic surgery accident, I mean it's like...[halfhearted grumbles]"

Followed by a bit of riffing on getting his mom some bangin' titties. I know Kanye is pretty villified these days, but I really don't think that makes it ok to mock the death of his mother, or, as Scott did, imply that it's somehow not a tragedy, because anyone who dies from plastic surgery knows the risks.

Maybe I'm being lame and uncool here, but as a big fan of Scott and Horatio, it sorta felt like when you're at a family reunion and your cool uncle all of the sudden starts telling racist jokes. Kind of a bummer.

(For what it's worth, it was a breast reduction, by the way, not a breast augmentation)

I 100% agree. Death and loss, the more personal and cutting, is not a way to satire or parody anyone, regardless of celebrity. And if it is a celebrity there are such better more both current and cutting ways to do it. This was almost lazy, like a jackass stunt but through words- shock humor. Even the audience wasn't feeling it, it seemed like. I love Sanz, he is my favorite CBB guest as of late, and has always made me laugh in almost everything he's in but this was a real sour note.

I also thought the Kanye's mom joke went too far, but once the toothpaste is out of the tube what are you gonna do? Horatio's instincts seemed to be to tag it with a couple shock laughs and let it go away on its own.

Kinda reminds me of a joke that the Onion made when Weird Al's parents died in a carbon monoxide leak, they said he commemorated them with a parody of "Tears in Heaven." Too far.

Really, though, if I ever recorded an improvised character-based fake talk show, I would be SUCH a Monday morning quarterback about every joke.

• Like 2

Dabney on With Special Guest! A horrible idea I can't wait for!

YES THIS

• Like 3

Scott's comment was worse than Horatio's dumb jokes. But, it's a live, improvised show. Raisins happen. Thankfully, there are usually a lot more cashews and M&M's.

Kinda reminds me of a joke that the Onion made when Weird Al's parents died in a carbon monoxide leak

Christ, I had no idea this happened. Al's subsequent letter to his fans is archived here.

• Like 2

I feel like this comment is relevant anywhere on this forum.

Would an Improv4Humans episode be relevant then, cus Besser's been pumping out some amazing ones lately

• Like 3

I don't think Scott calling Todd "she" is meant to be a bit, but it becomes a bit because (s)he whines about it every time, which made it especially funny when (s)he just went straight to "Fuck you!" this time. In fact, Todd used some salty language a few times in this episode without Scott ever commenting on it. I feel like he's getting a little lax in his "ersatz" parenting.

So I guess I'll be excitedly waking up to check Earwolf every Friday morning until that Dabney episode of WSGLL is released.

Sign in to follow this