🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 339 — LIVE from SXSW 2015

Christ, I had no idea this happened. Al's subsequent letter to his fans is archived here.

And the Onion article came out, like, TWO WEEKS LATER.

Edit: Link. And I was a week off.

• Like 1

Was I the only one who thought Horatio was supposed to be doing a different character but then Kroll started calling him kayne because he stole the mic and he just went with it and became kayne?

I think this is 100 percent what happened.

• Like 1

I don't think Scott calling Todd "she" is meant to be a bit, but it becomes a bit because (s)he whines about it every time, which made it especially funny when (s)he just went straight to "Fuck you!" this time. In fact, Todd used some salty language a few times in this episode without Scott ever commenting on it. I feel like he's getting a little lax in his "ersatz" parenting.

So I guess I'll be excitedly waking up to check Earwolf every Friday morning until that Dabney episode of WSGLL is released.

Scott had better follow up on this! I demand the next Todd appearance begins with a spanking of his little butt!

• Like 1

I will never not love Lauren Lapkus

I hope that Pardo can host that podcast, starring special guest, Lauren Lapkus.

Oooh, ya know what would be great? It could just be Never Not Funny and Lauren could play a representative of 7/11 corporate.

• Like 10

Colin is trying so hard to be funny, and it is not working.

Didn't see that at all. Perhaps you have a negative bias towards him. I think he's been funny in all his appearances as a non-character guest.

• Like 4

Horatio always seems most-willing to go in a different direction as soon as someone suggests it, so I wouldn't be surprised. Sometimes it's gold, sometimes it's confusing, but I love it either way.

Yes, having listened to hours and hours of Horatio on both Comedy Bang Bang and Improv4Humans, I am often blown away by Horatio's willingness to suddenly (and without warning) completely switch characters at the slightest provocation, totally disregard any established backstory/narrative without any real attempt at reconciling any huge logical inconsistencies that may result, or just suddenly become "Horatio Sanz" for a while before finally returning to being a character of some sort. I, for one, love this about him. It gives his appearances an anarchical, unhinged quality that I almost always genuinely enjoy. I've never seen or heard any other improv performer operate with quite that level of chaotic fluidity. As I said, I really like that about Horatio, but I could also certainly see how that could lead to moments of bafflement or confusion for both his fellow performers and the listening/viewing public.

• Like 5

disagree, tried to listen once because the guest was someone I liked, and it was just not fun for me. Maybe there were too many things that are HH bits, so I was out of the loop? Please give me a quick 5 of your favorite memorable episodes, for comedy sake, and not necessarily for self-referential bits. I want to pick up another earworlf-cast to round out my work week of commutes, but it failed to hook me before

Sinbad

Jessica St Claire and Lennon Parham

Paul F Thompkins 2

episode 1, 2, 3

So, to be clear, jokes about babyfucking are funny. Jokes about Scott being a horribly abusive parent are hilarious. But jokes about a douchebag's mom, who died seven years ago? That's where we draw the line? Over the years, Scott and co have made numerous tasteless (and funny) jokes about the deaths of Whitney Houston, Brian Jones, Natalie Wood, Nerine Shatner, and more (not sure why all my examples involve water). Why is everyone shocked and offended about Kanye's mom?

• Like 6

Yes, having listened to hours and hours of Horatio on both Comedy Bang Bang and Improv4Humans, I am often blown away by Horatio's willingness to suddenly (and without warning) completely switch characters at the slightest provocation, totally disregard any established backstory/narrative without any real attempt at reconciling any huge logical inconsistencies that may result, or just suddenly become "Horatio Sanz" for a while before finally returning to being a character of some sort. I, for one, love this about him. It gives his appearances an anarchical, unhinged quality that I almost always genuinely enjoy. I've never seen or heard any other improv performer operate with quite that level of chaotic fluidity. As I said, I really like that about Horatio, but I could also certainly see how that could lead to moments of bafflement or confusion for both his fellow performers and the listening/viewing public.

Im a big fan of Horatio and have been trying to articulate those strange qualities that make him my favorite guest, and this is it! Great analysis

• Like 2

So, to be clear, jokes about babyfucking are funny. Jokes about Scott being a horribly abusive parent are hilarious. But jokes about a douchebag's mom, who died seven years ago? That's where we draw the line? Over the years, Scott and co have made numerous tasteless (and funny) jokes about the deaths of Whitney Houston, Brian Jones, Natalie Wood, Nerine Shatner, and more (not sure why all my examples involve water). Why is everyone shocked and offended about Kanye's mom?

Not to mention Michael Jackson calling in from hell two days after he died.

• Like 9

The inappropriate and absurd improv was like 9-11 jokes. You either find that type of humor funny and cathartic, or you don't. There have been plenty of CBB moments that could draw the ire of those that are offended easily.

• Like 1

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-42-miguel-de-cervantes-featuring-horatio-sanz

If anyone hasnt listened to this...

• Like 3

I've listened to a few HH episodes and thought they were alright, then looked in forum thread and there were about 200 comments from people posting in-jokes and memes at each other. I think it being one of the less popular shows on earwolf has created some very dedicated fans, but this enthusiasm ends up having the effect of being slightly alienating to newcomers.

i get the feeling you think members of the hh community are being contrarian by supporting the show so enthusiasticly. This couldn't be further from the truth. The show being an absolute riot is what created very dedicated fans, and the community is incredibly welcoming to new fans as well.
  • Like 2

I've listened to a few HH episodes and thought they were alright, then looked in forum thread and there were about 200 comments from people posting in-jokes and memes at each other. I think it being one of the less popular shows on earwolf has created some very dedicated fans, but this enthusiasm ends up having the effect of being slightly alienating to newcomers.

I'm sure it's something I would get if I persisted more, but I don't really have the need for more podcasts right now.

i get the feeling you think members of the hh community are being contrarian by supporting the show so enthusiasticly. This couldn't be further from the truth. The show being an absolute riot is what created very dedicated fans, and the community is incredibly welcoming to new fans as well.

I agree with Mr. Hog. We were all new at one time or another. Once I worked up the courage to post, I was accepted very quickly and everyone was very funny and supportive of any creative endeavor I shared.

You could also just post once saying good ep and everyone will most likely agree with you because we love the show.

• Like 2

probably because there wasn't really a joke there at first? horatio eventually got to a premise but it started out more or less as "his mom died while having cosmetic surgery so who cares"

Between Tom Hanks appearing in a Carly Rae Jepsen video and Colin talking about cumfarts, this has been a rather unexpected two weeks from the Hanks family.

So happy to hear Lapkus & Kroll together, even if (especially because?) it got a little crazy at the end. It's also fun to hear the difference of a live show - the audience occasionally groaning and Scott possibly getting uncomfortable at times? It's great.

• Like 1

The inappropriate and absurd improv was like 9-11 jokes. You either find that type of humor funny and cathartic, or you don't. There have been plenty of CBB moments that could draw the ire of those that are offended easily.

I think you mean "internet offended" which is way different than actually having any kind of real values or moral compass.

• Like 2

disagree, tried to listen once because the guest was someone I liked, and it was just not fun for me. Maybe there were too many things that are HH bits, so I was out of the loop? Please give me a quick 5 of your favorite memorable episodes, for comedy sake, and not necessarily for self-referential bits. I want to pick up another earworlf-cast to round out my work week of commutes, but it failed to hook me before

I would listen to the Adam Pally episode, one of the earliest ones. That was the one that got me into the podcast when I didn't really understand it and I still think its the funniest. Adam plays it more grounded as opposed to Sean and Hayes and constantly insults and shits on them for all the absurd things they say throughout the whole episode.

• Like 3

That's not what I meant at all. It's something I can relate to where you love something so much you want to get everyone into it, but then realize enthusing about it all the time just puts people off, or they just aren't interested.

I'm sure it's something I would get if I persisted more, but I don't really have the need for more podcasts right now.

I think this is a common misconception about HH that gets people scared of listening!

90% of the stuff the hardcore fans are posting aren't really in jokes. In fact Id say the show requires very little knowledge of the handful of running gags since it all stems from a vibe rather than some "lore". Most of what people are posting is just nonsense in the vein of the shows tone.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this