🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 339 — LIVE from SXSW 2015

It was pretty much inevitable that somebody would call me "easily offended" because I mentioned that mean-spirited jokes about the tragic death of somebody's mother didn't jive with me.

"Jeez, all I'm doin is diggin up the skulls of stillborn babies and fucking their eye sockets. Don't see why you gotta be such a prude". I think everybody draws the line somewhere.

So this is obviously all about personal opinions, no one is right or wrong, etc. I just don't understand why THIS is where some people draw the line. This is certainly not the most offensive the show has ever been. There have been much more horrific jokes about people who had died much more recently. To use your example, this is like if someone fucked baby skulls, then joked about Kanye's mom. I would draw the line after the first part.

• Like 4

This episode was great. Wtf (with marc marone) are people complaining about? Really Kanye is where we draw the line?

And CHANKS was great, how many celeb guests would take on a cumfart scenario like it was a normal thing?

• Like 5

I'm not actually sold on the idea that Horatio was supposed to be there at all. His arrival seemed to surprise everyone and didn't come at a natural moment and Scott seemed thrown for a second.

I'm going to let you all finish your pedantic conversations, but this post deserves more attention. This is exactly how I felt, but upon further investigation (looking at the CBB twitter), it looks like there was an empty fifth stool in one of the pictures. I would embed if I knew how.

• Like 1

I'm going to let you all finish your pedantic conversations, but this post deserves more attention. This is exactly how I felt, but upon further investigation (looking at the CBB twitter), it looks like there was an empty fifth stool in one of the pictures. I would embed if I knew how.

he was supposed to be there, scott even says 'why did you take his mic when your mic is sitting right there' or something

• Like 2

he was supposed to be there, scott even says 'why did you take his mic when your mic is sitting right there' or something

I missed that while listening to this at work. Rewound, and you are indeed correct.

• Like 1

Oh wow! That makes me love it even more. The idea that his arrival was planned makes it even more bat shit crazy.

• Like 2

Kanye West was probably one of, if not the most, unfunny characters in CBB history. Truly gross to listen to. Boring, even. For someone who's been so fucking effected by the overdose of a friend, it makes me sad/disappointed that Scott would so gleefully partake in mocking a mans dead mother, especially when that son frequently and recently has made some incredible art dedicated to her. It doesn't help that the "joke" boiled down to nothing more than "I want to fuck donda west's dead tits, because she died when her son got her plastic surgery".

And seriously Horatio? Kanye is a fucking MASSIVE FAN of you AND Saturday night live, you fucking douche. If anybody listened to your half-baked podcast I'd hope you would issue an apology for that shitty character work. However, it's just a shitty improv4humans doppelgänger so don't bother. how could such a great show go from 100-0 in so little time?

Hey bro, fffffffuck youuuu

• Like 5

To be fair, since we tend to focus on when one person does not like the show, then inversely, if someone like the show so much that they perform micro-blog improv standup on soundcloud, then in this case, we should celebrate their love wildly, no?

You're just realizing this?

I was a fan of Kanye, maybe I'll like his new stuff he's releasing now... but dont make this about 'kanye fans', because to me its just touchy people in general who think that an improv bit ending up at Kanye's dead mother is grounds for riot and protest.

Hey you people, just get the F out, because clearly the majority had no problem with it. you are the exceptions not the rule, go ahead and be offended, tweet at them, but keep all the whining and complaining off of here. You arent going to change things so next time this happens you'll hear scott interrupt Horatio and then 30 seconds of the show disappears from the recording...

Hey you people, just get the F out, because clearly the majority had no problem with it. you are the exceptions not the rule, go ahead and be offended, tweet at them, but keep all the whining and complaining off of here. You arent going to change things so next time this happens you'll hear scott interrupt Horatio and then 30 seconds of the show disappears from the recording...

obviously nothing is going to change and this is a one off bit. i don't think kanye or his dead mother will be recurring bits but fans of the show can come here to say what they liked and didn't like about the episode as long as they aren't jerks about it.

anyways these HH guys seem pretty funny in the ads. i might have to check out their show!

• Like 6

First off, great ep. All around. Fun guests. Continue to love the Sean & Hayes ads. Love everyone, yadda, yadda, yadda!

Secondly - the big news - DABNEY THE SIX FLAGS CARICATURIST WILL BE ON "WITH SPECIAL GUEST" SOON! Woooo! What a bombshell to drop in the plugs, Lauren!

:D

• Like 2

This was not Hooray Show at his best ngl, feel like he just isn't suited to do Kanye idk

You're dead-on. Sanz' Kanye was DOA. I love the guy, but he often descends too quickly into the gutter for cheap laughs when he can do better. This ended up bringing the whole atmosphere down to toilet humor such as the unnecessarily repetitive cum fart references.

Maybe it's me, but I sensed Scott was trying to rein it in but maybe this type of thing happens more frequently in live shows where some feel tempted to play down to the crowd.

• Like 1

DABNEY THE SIX FLAGS CARICATURIST WILL BE ON "WITH SPECIAL GUEST" SOON! Woooo! What a bombshell to drop in the plugs, Lauren!

:D

I'd like to think that Scott either 1.) recorded an ep, but wasn't going to release it, or 2.) wasn't planning on hosting WSGLL as Dabney at all. Until mischievous ol' Lauren Lapkus forced his hand by announcing it publicly.

That's certainly not the case, I just like thinkin about it.

I hope the Dabney/Lapkus episode is 2 hours long.

I'd like to think that Scott either 1.) recorded an ep, but wasn't going to release it, or 2.) wasn't planning on hosting WSGLL as Dabney at all. Until mischievous ol' Lauren Lapkus forced his hand by announcing it publicly.

That's certainly not the case, I just like thinkin about it.

I'm sure Dabney was at Lauren's 'beck and keeel'.

Another Grepisode. This year is really strong.

Lapkus, Kroll, and Hurray are all such show stealers and they all had their turns with a crowd to play to.

I loved Horatio's random Kanye outbursts. Sly Stallone is one of Kroll's best characters, and Lapkus was killing it with the Todd gay angle.

I'm surprised people are so offended about Kanye's mom thing, and blaming Horatio is really unfair considering it was brought up first by Kroll and then Scott pushed it further until Horatio had no choice but to make a bit out if it, which I thought he did quite well deflecting things away from her death and into getting his mom fake titties.

Actually, I didn't really enjoy the marriage, baby banging angle at the end, and I think Kroll was feeling awkward about it and kept trying to steer into bailing out of it. I think Scott wanted it to be uncomfortably awkward funny, but the funny part got left behind a bit.

Anyway, I hope Horatio keeps doing what he's doing. He's absolutely incredible in any character. He does things in improve that no one else can do. When he first came to CBB, I hadn't heard anything from him since SNL, and I was like "oh they are dragging this old SNL alum out?" However, he has never failed to exceed every expectation. Just naturally funny, and during his candid moments on the show, really shows his kindness and vulnerability, which is awesome too. Hurrraaaay!!!!

• Like 2

It was really good to hear from Nick again in this episode. Lauren is such a pro that she's great even when she has nothing to work with. Horatio's improv style is so off the rocker that I love it even when I hate it. With the live format, sometimes the performers mesh really well, like the recent WSGLL with Thomas Middleditch, and sometimes they don't. I feel like this one leaned towards the latter, but I don't think it's really anyone's fault.

Things I enjoyed: Couch cushions and medicine balls, Kroll's self-referential comments about racial sensitivity, Todd's homosexuality.

Sign in to follow this