In times of stress and strife

A true friend we can turn to

When times are good or bad

One of our greatest blessings,

The man that we call Dad.

comedy photo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

landon-meier-baby-mask-3.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have a photo of my GD (mom's D), but he fought Batista in the Cuban revolution. He knew Che and Fidel and fought with them, but then he pushed for democracy after the revolution and had to flee Cuba or they would have killed him. Unfortunately, he had to leave my mom and GM behind. So my GM lied to everyone saying that she cheated on my GD with Fidel and my mom was Fidel's illegitimate child so that no one would kill my mom. I shall make a telenovela of this some day.

• Like 10

Big Daddy (my GD) was a jazz man. He also played upright in the 82nd Army Air Force Band during World War II with his friend Al Hirt who was a famous New Orleans jazz man. Here they are:

HAZEL-BERLIN-AL-HURT.jpg

That's him on the far right with my GM lookin spiffy.

• Like 12

Our society is so entertainment driven sometimes that I think it forgets the true heroes. A dad sports league type reality show or dad stock market would be an amazing idea. I have been so excited lately thinking about people I know who would probably become a super dad at some point in their life. Scott Aukerman would be a dad of everyone's dreams and so many people have a world of dad talent. I wish it was a major topic of debate instead of the best movies coming out, but alas the wheels of change are not always in lock step with our short time on this shiney blue marble we call home.

• Like 2

Man, what are we doing with our lives! We should be living like our GDs!

• Like 6

q2oByuV.jpg

Thats my GD. He got hella babes. People say i look like him.

• Like 15

http://i.imgur.com/q2oByuV.jpg

Thats my GD. He got hella babes. People say i look like him.

MBoP you look just like him!

Are you sure this is not a blurry picture of you at a costume party?

PS - He also has good thick hair.

• Like 3

My dad's d lived in what was then rural Massachusetts, so not so much a cowboy other than in this photo. He did fight in the pacific on this guy though which is pretty rockin.

My GD was an officer on this MFer right after Korea. He got drafted during the war but the war was over by the time he got on the ship so he just got to go to a bunch of ports in Asia and buy my grandma lots of cool stuff for super cheap that's now really expensive like Mikimoto pearls for $10. Crazy stuff like that.

Edit: I'm trying to track down a pic of him.

• Like 4

I am loving everything that is happening right now. Unfortunately I'm slightly busy today and I really hate that I'm missing this. Then again, I'll get to read and enjoy all the cool stuff later, so, pretty awesome still.

Just wanted join in the positivity a little!

• Like 9

Man, what are we doing with our lives! We should be living like our GDs!

Sounds good in theory, except my GD almost got blown up in WWII.

He wrote an autobiography and also talks about how he almost became a Catholic priest. Im glad he did not because then I would not be here today on this message board.

• Like 7

my grampa fought in korea but he doesnt like to talk about it. one time he told me about giving gum to korean kids and how much they liked that but thats about it

• Like 10

FYI: I cleaned up the unpleasantness that occurred overnight and awarded its author a week vacation from the forums. I'm sorry you were dragged into it, RanRan.

• Like 21

Gayhammer? More like BANhammer.

#Nailedit (like a hammer)

• Like 11

My GD (pictured) tried to serve in WW2 but had flat feet. But the physical requirements were less strict for doctors so he went into an accelerated MD program through the Navy and became a medical doctor without ever finishing his undergrad! Later he became a certain US president's cardiologist. My other GD, not pictured, was a jet pilot in the Marines, then taught theater at Amherst, and then after my dad and his three brothers were born he came out as gay, ran away from home and opened a theater in Miami.

I like to think they went through all that struggle and awesomeness in order to ultimately produce me, so that I can sit here on a Friday afternoon and post stuff on the internet.

Edit: Fun fact, there is a class (now defunct) of US Navy destroyers that was named after my GGGD, GGD, and GGU who were very famous high-ranking navy guys.

• Like 9

I'm sure there's something funny, or at least mildly amusing to be said about Dan Engler being the hero this forum needs like from that one batman movie

edit: We've got lots of military GDs in here. My GD (D's D) was a medic in WWII and never spoke about it because it was a very traumatic experience. My other GD (M's D) was a pilot, but I never met him because he was in a training accident when my M was still a kid. And my other GD (M's SD) was in the Navy in Korea and he was a very proficient golfer.

• Like 9

Gayhammer? More like BANhammer.

#Nailedit (like a hammer)

Gayhammer and Joe are easily the two coolest dudes around. I refuse to choose.

• Like 1

8nPmpjt.jpg

That's my GD

Q00casH.jpg

That's my U, my D and my M

Joe is your M the barefoot contessa?

• Like 2

You guys had to know this day would come. Sean & Hayes' star is rising and HH has more than 65 listeners now, and I think you'll just need to learn to accept it. For every kittens, there's going to be a chandler bing.com or american diaper type. it's nature.

OK, this really quite annoyed me so I'm going to respond in a genuine way.

The number of posters isn't that important, the issue is the tone and volume of the posts. The forum has kept a fairly consistent vibe for at least the year I've been here, but changed massively in the last two weeks. It was fun and friendly before, but now it doesn't feel the same way. I think this is for two reasons:

1. The 'old' forums/posters had a mix of dumb jokes and sincere chatting, whereas the 'new' forums/posters seem to be more about playing a character. Playing a character, or having a persona, or trying to be like Sean and Hayes when they're doing the whole "Hollywood mogul" stuff harms the forum. It can be funny in short doses, but it totally fails at creating a culture where we really get to know each other. If we were all playing a character, I don't think we would have got to this point where we share pictures of our family and have video chats together and post links to our cool band's cool album and so on.

2. The volume of posts by new posters sky-rocketed. You and ChandlerBing are responsible for about a third of the posts on this thread. Just two posters, 33% of the posts. Last thread, you single-handedly posted about a seventh of the entire thread. It drowns out all the 'old' voices and makes it seem like the 'new' voices have taken over.

I don't think that as a single poster I have any more right than you to decide the tone of this place. But I do know that I enjoyed it before, and I don't now. I do know that I'm not the only poster who feels this way. And I don't think I should just "learn to accept" a clear degradation in the quality of this forum.

• Like 16

I like to think they went through all that struggle and awesomeness in order to ultimately produce me, so that I can sit here on a Friday afternoon and post stuff on the internet.

Hell yea they did, and that's perfectly okay I think. Just live by their example and their strength. All our grandparents struggled considerably to put us into the relatively privileged world we have, I feel like we can honor that by just being decent and kind, which is a small task in comparison.

Edit: Sorry I've been watching a lot of Oprah

• Like 2

FYI: I cleaned up the unpleasantness that occurred overnight and awarded its author a week vacation from the forums. I'm sorry you were dragged into it, RanRan.

Wolf den is becoming cool den? this shatters my entire belief structure

• Like 9

edit: We've got lots of military GDs in here. My GD (D's D) was a medic in WWII and never spoke about it because it was a very traumatic experience. My other GD (M's D) was a pilot, but I never met him because he was in a training accident when my M was still a kid. And my other GD (M's SD) was in the Navy in Korea and he was a very proficient golfer.

Definitely, greatest generation and all that. I think a lot of what happened over there has kind of been glorified in movies, but Im sure it was mostly traumatic for those involved in the fighting.

My wife's GD was an airplane mechanic in Italy, and her GM went to California and riveted planes and whatnot. For some reason she doesnt talk a whole about that, but its pretty great story.

Also, her great uncle was a paratrooper and died on his first jump over the Netherlands. I recently found he is buried in a national cemetary over there. Anyway, not tooting my horn or anything just want to add to the stories being shared.

• Like 6