🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 106 — Deep Blue Sea: LIVE!

Here's something I think that's not mentioned on the show. Remember the little red submarine that everyone was planning on using to leave the area before Sam Jackson gets killed? Well, it turns out it was the same submarine that appeared in the Michael Crichton-adapted "Sphere", which oddly enough, also starred Samuel L. Jackson!

• Like 1

So when Saffron Burrows was in the water to distract the shark, Carter goes out to try and save her and as part of his brilliant plan...he puts down the spear gun. What was he going to do? He was just so sure of his shark dodging to the fin move it was going to save the day all on its own?

'Oh shit that sharks gonna get her! I better put down the only thing that could conceivably stop or deter the creature, its just slowing me down.'

And because he didn't shoot it when that was the entire point of her sacrifice, not only did he not manage to save her, her death was in vain, way to go hero.

• Like 2

I get that this was Saffron Burrows' birthday, but couldn't the party have waited until after the tests are done? This test is a very crucial last-ditch attempt to save everyone's job and they get hammered the night before. They have to corral and manipulate genetically enhanced killing machines. Wouldn't it have been too much to ask everyone to go to bed early and be fresh for the big day?

• Like 1

2ykbcys.jpg

have you seen this woman please call the police or earwolf productions right away..

Has anyone talked to Neil Patrick Harris lately? I think he may be hiding her, and that his life may be in jeopardy...

Edit: Oh wow, and I didn't even mean this as a nod to the legendary HDTGM/HIMYM feud, but it works on that level too!

• Like 3

Not a correction or omission, more of an admission.

Deep Blue Sea will always have a special place in my heart, as it is essentially responsible for my marriage. When I first met the woman who would eventually become my wife, it was at my apartment. She was friends with my roommate and was invited over to play violin in a group we were putting together. After perusing my film collection, she queried as to why I didn’t own any Beatles films. I explained that in my opinion the Beatles films aren’t so bad that they’re good, they’re just so bad. Next, asking me to recommend something that I thought was better, I tossed a copy of Deep Blue Sea at her and said, “I dare you not to love this”. She took it home, watched it, and must have had a profound clarity and understanding of my brilliance based solely on this recommendation. At least I would like to think so. Because the rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 12

Has anyone talked to Neil Patrick Harris lately? I think he may be hiding her, and that his life may be in jeopardy...

Edit: Oh wow, and I didn't even mean this as a nod to the legendary HDTGM/HIMYM feud, but it works on that level too!

15p3jww.jpg

this was on cnn, I am waiting to hear what Danny Bonaduce has to say on this matter.

we are going to get to the bottom of this.

• Like 5

The wiki page for the movie still has Stellar Skateboard in the cast list. I love this.

The movie that Paul is describing at the end...that's basically the plot to Ghost Shark, right? I swear the reveal for that movie was that the sharks were stuck in a hellish loop and had to get revenge to be freed.

I can't be the only one that saw Ghost Shark, right?

• Like 2

2) Something that has always bugged me about Deep Blue Sea is how did the shark escape in the beginning? Seriously. Carter asked Scoggins about the height of the fences ("Eight feet give or take a centimeter.") as if to imply the possibility that the sharks jumped over it. But the sharks' whole plan in the end is to sink the facility to jump over the fence so it wasn't that way. Soooo...how did they escape?

I came here to say that lol. BUT also; why did the sharks need to lower the fence when the one in the beginning escaped without doing that?

and why didn't they all just escape at the same time with the one in the beginning?

Did anyone post this yet? Because it's super appropriate. Both because of the conversation at the end about ghost sharks/haunted oceans, and because Paul is right - there is only one good Shark movie. This is more shit from SyFy Channel, but some people like Sharknado so I'm surprised that the HDTGM crew missed out their follow-up. Before the actual sequel was announced, this was something they were hoping was going to resonate with people the same way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DQ4rpAlQc

I noticed that there is an unusually high number of actors in this film (yes, four is high for me, I have low standards) who would go on to Marvel projects. Thomas Jane became The Punisher, Samuel L. Jackson became Nick Fury, Stellan Skarsgard became Eric Selvig and Saffron Burrows became Victoria Hand (in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show)

• Like 1

Amazing episode by everybody! I loved it! I did miss June telling us how upsetting Stellar Skateboard's death was, but still very very good.

This is something that bugged me since I first saw this movie in middle school. Why in heaven's name does Burrows cut her hand and then jump into the water at the end? I get she's trying to lure the shark, but as a scientist she must know that a shark can smell a single drop of blood in an Olympic swimming pool, so why not just cut her hand and stick it in the water? Is she so guilty over killing everyone that she's just committing suicide to kill the last shark? That still doesn't work, because her whole part in Thomas Jane's plan was to electrify the harpoon once he shoots it. She can't do that in the water, so what's the point of luring the shark?

Also, would a shark hit by an electrified harpoon explode? Mythbusters?

Also also wik, the we-can't-open-the-hatch-because-the-pool-of-water-will-depressurize-and-come-rushing-in scene is crazy. The last thing Samuel Jackson says before being eaten is "We need to cover this--" presumably, we need to cover this pool of water so we can open the hatch. Makes sense, because they've just said that the change in pressure will bring the water in instantly and kill them all.

And then Jackson gets eaten, and they just...open the hatch anyway. I understand that it would be hard to cover the pool because the shark's there, but there's not even a discussion of whether they should try before doing the thing that they just said might kill them. And of course it doesn't. Except that doing so lets one of the sharks in and gets Jan eaten, so that's really on all of their hands.

Finally, this is not a correction or omission but just my favorite scene: When LL is wading through the hallway, just saying "Bird bird bird" over and over with an inflection like he has no idea what this scene is about or that the bird is something he's looking for. Then a drop of water hits him on the head and he, although already waist deep in water, winces and touches his forehead like it hurt him. Weirdest/best acting moment ever.

• Like 7

Also, would a shark hit by an electrified harpoon explode? Mythbusters?

The harpoon had a bomb on it, harvested from the flares (remember the flares guyz, from the birthday party! we wouldn't have believed a place like that in the middle of the ocean would have flares if they weren't pointlessly established earlier.). They were filling a tube with gunpowder and stuff, Tremors style, in the scene prior and talking about it. The electricity was just to ignite it.

• Like 2

But man, that fuckin' eight-foot fence...

Nothing to add, but congratulations on your extremely rare and valuable PFT 'Like' for this post. Guard it well!

• Like 3

Throughout the movie, I kept thinking that it would be eventually revealed the whole "we-are-going-to-eat-you-all" was actually a ruse, and the sharks' real intention was to hack into the computer of the corporation Samuel L Jackson's working for, and stole all their money, or tapped into the underwater phone-line in order to clean out people's Swiss bank accounts.

• Like 2

Nothing to add, but congratulations on your extremely rare and valuable PFT 'Like' for this post. Guard it well!

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was for real or not, but he DOES have a show here now. Also, it was a total throwaway line! At least, I thought it was...

BTW, Samuel L Jackson finishing his commentary when his character gets killed off is one of the coolest things ive ever heard of. i just have an image of him commenting on the scene, then, without saying a word, taking off the headphones, walking out of the booth and straight out of the building, leaving the guys in the control room both bemused and in total awe

They were soooooo close to mentioning it I thought with the rapping about sharks and the Will Smith movie theme songs, but NO ONE brought up "Shark Tale", which starred Will Smith and probably featured a shark rapping or a rap about a shark at some point.

If it did, I can only assume it would start with "Well my name's Rappin' Oscar and I'm here to say, it's fun to rap in a deep sea way." (Smith's character was named Oscar.)

• Like 2

To answer Paul's question in the ad: Harry's is a real person. His full name is Harry's Close Shaver. He has a factory made of gingerbread in Germany. He was on The Todd Glass Show a couple weeks ago. I believe Paul F. Tompkins talked to him.

• Like 2

BTW, Samuel L Jackson finishing his commentary when his character gets killed off is one of the coolest things ive ever heard of. i just have an image of him commenting on the scene, then, without saying a word, taking off the headphones, walking out of the booth and straight out of the building, leaving the guys in the control room both bemused and in total awe

I've heard it, as I was alllll into commentaries at the time, and he was basically like "Well, I'm not in the movie anymore and I wasn't around for the other stuff, so I'm outta here. PEACE!".

• Like 1

If it did, I can only assume it would start with "Well my name's Rappin' Oscar and I'm here to say, it's fun to rap in a deep sea way." (Smith's character was named Oscar.)

ANY rap that has a first line that ends with "...and I'm here to say" is usually written for kids, for a Burger King training video, or for possibly the most misguided and out of touch promo I've ever seen, which I'll share with you all when I get back to my computer later...

• Like 1