🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 106 — Deep Blue Sea: LIVE!

ANY rap that has a first line that ends with "...and I'm here to say" is usually written for kids, for a Burger King training video, or for possibly the most misguided and out of touch promo I've ever seen, which I'll share with you all when I get back to my computer later...

Not true. But, then again, you haven't heard my rap album yet. That's how each song starts. It's a concept album about all the things I'm here to say.

• Like 2

ANY rap that has a first line that ends with "...and I'm here to say" is usually written for kids, for a Burger King training video, or for possibly the most misguided and out of touch promo I've ever seen

...or by one of the screenwriters of Shark Tale.

• Like 6

Regarding June's absence, do we think she's run off with a Jim Varney look-a-like?

• Like 1

Regarding June's absence, do we think she's run off with a Jim Varney look-a-like?

He was only driving the truck. I got a bad feeling this is going to happen again because they did two shows live. so that means we've got two shows with no June.

292o7mb.jpg

Deep Blue Sea Alternate Ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmZN5Bzvvo

not real but we can dream can't we.

• Like 1

So this may have been said already but, Deep Blue Sea is about trying to use a chemical in shark's brains to cure Alzheimer's. The drug in Rise of the Planet of the Apes that makes the monkeys smart is an Alzheimer's drug. Is it possible that Deep Blue Sea is a prequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

“A hangover is just not having enough fluid in your body to run your Krebs cycle, which is exactly the same thing as dying of thirst. So, dying of thirst would be feel like the hangover that finally kills you.”

If that quote sounds familiar, you may be recalling when it was recited almost word for word by John Nash’s “roommate” Charles in the award winning film A Beautiful Mind. Among the awards won by A Beautiful Mind were an Academy Award, Golden Globe, and BAFTA for writing. Akiva Goldsman, the writer of A Beautiful Mind, was also a producer of this film. So we should all respect that the dialog in this film is Oscar worthy and that an award winning film like A Beautiful Mind had no problem getting sloppy seconds off the cutting room floor from a movie that included lines like, “She may be the smartest animal on the planet, but she’s still just an animal. Come to mama.”

Akiva Goldsman also wrote Batman & Robin. So, y'know, f that guy.

• Like 1

Really loved both this movie and the episode. I guess I have a semi-omission/general clarification of the science: I work in Alzheimer's Disease research, and I found the entire premise BAFFLING. I don't have a PhD (yet...), and I'm not well-versed in animal research methods, but so much of this was just too out of control for me to handle.

First off, there is no way animal surgery is like that scene where they "extract the protein." Animal research is very tightly regulated to make sure you're following guidelines for humane treatment (humane treatment = the exact opposite of everything happening at Aquatica, probably). Lighting cigarettes in research areas is definitely not okay. I also laughed really hard that there was just a HUGE GUN right behind some glass in the lab. That's way dangerous, and there have to be better methods of controlling sharks. (There is sometimes weird stuff sitting around though - In MRI environments where I work there are baseball bats for emergency depressurizing and monkey bite kits for...well, treating monkey bites. But definitely no guns).

Also, I know they made the argument for using sharks because they don't show signs of aging in their brain activity or something. There actually are many species that don't develop Alzheimer's Disease pathology (namely amyloid plaques) - when scientists do AD research on mice, for example, my understanding is that they basically induce amyloid production and aggregation in their brains with certain genetic mutations. Just because sharks "don't develop AD," though, doesn't mean they offer a cure for humans. And even if droppering shark brain proteins on dead human neurons did work (...it wouldn't), how would you get it into the right spot in the brains of living patients without straight-up killing them? At best, this would be invasive and expensive surgery that may cause brain damage in its own right. Maybe the shark protein would just fix any neurons that were damaged by the surgery, too? I don't even know.

I did find evidence that shark toxins might increase AD/ALS risk and that people have tried (and failed) to cure cancer with shark cartilage. But it seems no one has ever been like, "You know where we should look for an AD cure? Sharks." OBVIOUSLY.

This is to say nothing of bigger brains = smarter. Or Saffron Burrows's apparent lack of understanding of how to interact with AD patients. Aging and dementia research is very boring compared to what's depicted in this movie, and I'm really okay with that.

• Like 9

BTW, Mythbusters did cover Deep Blue Sea. Looks like episode 106. I don't see any good clips, but they tested the harpoon gun blowing up the shark. If I remember correctly, the battery didn't trigger the powder, and the amount of powder in a few flairs did almost nothing.

• Like 5

Sharks? More like Snark. amidoingthisrightandisthisstillaviableformofhumour?

• Like 2

So the way I see it this whole movie is Thomas Jane's fault. At the beginning of the movie it is implied that the shark that escaped jumped over the fence. Jane tells Rapaport to raise the fences (which he is somehow able to do in a record time). Now the sharks a can't jump the fence so they have to sink the station to get the fences low enough to get through. Enough shaming of the good Dr. Susan!

Also why would the station be using natural gas for their ovens? Wouldn't they be electric?

• Like 2

Better late than never... 8 minutes of Deleted Scenes from "Deep Blue Sea"

( I can only speculate but watching this deleted scenes I think maybe the Ronny Cox character is giving a press conference on T.V. and Michael Rapaport says that he is "real creepy" at the end of the breakfast scene that we see in the

)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSTaMi_QZQ

• Like 1

I was just thinking, maybe LL Cool J's "Deepest Bluest"is actually a sort of conceptual sequel to 'Deep Blue Sea.' Maybe LL's Preacher character injected himself with the shark brain serum and the song chronicles his evolution from regular Preacher/Chef/Rapper-Loved-By-Ladies to Shark-Man hybrid (still loved by the ladies and the illest MC), but now the world's deadliest aquatic carnivore.

• Like 3

Better late than never... 8 minutes of Deleted Scenes from "Deep Blue Sea"

I love the scene with Samuel L. Jackson eating looking at the bird, in the kitchen.

but we all know what he should be saying in the clip.

"Mmm-mmmm, this tastes like Bird Shit!!"

Good point, but here's my question, how was Carter able to track a single, evidently untagged shark in the open ocean? We know the sharks are untagged due to a line regarding the storm reducing visibility and that when the sharks take out the cameras no one says, "No problem, I can still track them on this screen..." They just sort of collectively shit their pants.

Also, based on a line from Scoggins, we are told that sharks can swim at an average speed of 50 ft per second which, despite assertions of his "trustworthiness," is patently untrue. Bursts of speed, maybe, but not average speed. But, let's take Scoggins at his word and say the average speed for this specific breed of unholy sharks is 50 feet per second. And let us further assume that since the sharks are solely tracked visually, by the time the team discovers a shark is missing and they are able to mobilize a search party, an hour has passed. Not taking into account the three dimensional space that is the fucking ocean, that means they would have a potential search area of 3,653 sq miles! To put this in perspective, this is about 1,200 sq miles larger than the state of Deleware.

Is Carter magic or did the shark leave a swath of dismembered frat boys in its wake? Was the good ship Douche Bro at the beginning of the movie only the next stop on the shark’s grisly tapas crawl?

And since I'm not really a math guy I will go ahead and show my work, feel free to let me know if I'm wrong:

50ft x 60secs= 3,000ft,

3,000ft x 60 mins=180,000ft

180,000ft /5280 ft per mile =34.1 miles

A=πr2

3,653 sq miles= 3.14 (34.1)2

(On a related note, I may have just out nerded the Internet)

You, sir, get a like for that.

• Like 1

I was just thinking, maybe LL Cool J's "Deepest Bluest"is actually a sort of conceptual sequel to 'Deep Blue Sea.' Maybe LL's Preacher character injected himself with the shark brain serum and the song chronicles his evolution from regular Preacher/Chef/Rapper-Loved-By-Ladies to Shark-Man hybrid (still loved by the ladies and the illest MC), but now the world's deadliest aquatic carnivore.

So, like all lower-budget, straight-to-video sequels, it's essentially "How do we make this thing cost less? Fuck it, the monster/alien/robot will just look human. BAM.".

• Like 1

Funny that there were mentions of a Mythbuster special.

They actually did a thorough testing of the explosion at the end of the movie.

Myths:

Shooting a harpoon accurately at that distance: Confirmed

Setting off an explosive with just a battery in seawater: Busted

Two and a half sticks of dynamite worth of black powder in 10 flares: Busted

Two and a half sticks of dynamite causing an explosion that size: Busted

Being able to survive the explosion at 50 feet: Busted

I would still like to know how this movie is tied into Luc Besson's The Big Blue.

• Like 1

The possibility of the shark talking at the end immediately brought to mind the ending of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, with Caesar's surprise big "NO!"

With regards to alternate titles for the film, I'd like to pitch in with "The Death Aquatica" and "Shark Strong" (the opposite of "Shark *Week*")

• Like 2

Don't often watch the movies along with the podcast but as it was on Sky today I did and I have a few omissions.

At the start, did anyone notice Samual L Jackson is standing in front of a MASSIVE photo of a pair of hands holding a crab. I know it was a sea institute but this looked like something from a fish mongers

Also I can't believe no-one said about Saffron Burrows stuffed baby shark that she keeps her brain samples in. I know it only existed for the fake-out later in the movie but is there any bigger proof that she's the villain. A normal scientist would keep their sample is a lab dish in a medical fridge, she has a special taxidermied serving bowl.

At the party, why did chubby Barbra fire emergency flairs? Maybe that's why more help didn't come. the coastguard was just used to the institute blasting off flairs everytime someone has a birthday.

The whole set design was so bizarrely clear the water looked like a swimming pool, it reminded me of the industrial zone in the Crystal Maze. I kept wanting Richard O'Brien to pop up and yell encouragement.

I know Samuel L Jackson's death was disguised but I watched the film with my mum and she summed it up by saying 'Oh god. He looks like a big kipper!'

Finally, Why did LL Cool J try and save the bird. I know 'save the cat' is a rule of screen writing but that bird legitimately seemed to hate him and yet he still tried to rescue it. I was glad when it was eaten, perhaps it was a reference to 'The Rhyme of the Ancient Marine' where the title character shoots an albatross and inso doing dooms his crew.

• Like 2

I don't know if this has been brought up already in this forum and I know it was briefly mentioned on the show, but the overall story of how Saffron Burrows went from surviving to dying in reshoots is because test audiences hated her so much and blamed her for everything wrong happening in the movie, and rightfully so. There were even reports of people cheering for her to hopefully die in the original ending, which led for the eventual change.

Also for some reason Harlin felt the need to upstage Steven Spielberg in the stupid bullshit department by making his shark one foot longer than the shark in Jaws, despite no one knowing or caring about that fact. And apparently Rolling Stone mentioned in a review for Rise of the Planet of the Apes that the movie lifted ideas and twists from the original Apes movie and this.

OMMISSION: Even if these three super-intelligent sharks escape into the wild... THEY'RE STILL JUST FUCKING SHARKS!!! They don't have opposable thumbs. There's only three of them. They don't have super-strength. They're only as hungry as any other shark, only as likely or unlikely to attack humans as any other shark, and only able to fit as many humans in their tum-tums as any other shark. So what, exactly, is the threat here?

CORRECTION: Sharks do get cancer, and this has been known for decades, not "just discovered last year".

http://blogs.scienti...ll-cure-cancer/

It's pure alt-med pseudoscience. Money quotes:

In 2004, Dr Gary Ostrander and his colleagues from the University of Hawaii published a survey of the Registry for Tumors in Lower Animals11. Already in collection, they found 42 tumors in Chondrichthyes species (the class of cartilaginous fish that includes sharks, skates and rays). These included at least 12 malignant tumors and tumors throughout the body. Two sharks had multiple tumors, suggesting they were genetically susceptible or exposed to extremely high levels of carcinogens. There were even tumors found in shark cartilage!

The results have been devastating. North American populations of sharks have decreased by up to 80% in the past decade, as cartilage companies harvest up to 200,000 sharks every month in US waters to create their products. One American-owned shark cartilage plant in Costa Rica is estimated to destroy 2.8 million sharks per year5. Sharks are slow growing species, and simply cannot reproduce fast enough to survive such sustained, intense fishing pressure. Unless fishing is dramatically decreased worldwide, a number of species of sharks will go extinct before we even notice.
  • Like 4

Apparently "My Hat Is Like a Shark Fin" is actually a reference to an earlier rap song. From an article about the Cool James most out of touch moments (http://www.complex.c.../deepest-bluest)

It's important to consider LL's level of depth when one hears the lyric, "My hat is like a shark's fin," because otherwise it might be brushed off as just an insane thing to say. In its original context (1987's "I'm Bad") it makes sense ("MCs can't win, I make 'em rust like tin/They call me 'Jaws,' my hat is like a shark's fin"). But in this context, what can this cryptic poetry mean? He repeats the simile a total of 35 times in the song, so it must carry some ideological or ontological message, but what can it be?

I'm not sure if this makes the line cooler (Oh, see he is bringing it back to the history of rap) or dumber (can't even come up with your own Shark metaphor LL?)

• Like 3