🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 106 — Deep Blue Sea: LIVE!

I don't remember. I haven't watched it in forever, and I thought it ended with LL and Jane clutching to wreckage and getting one last zinger or something.

Edit: Okay, I just brought it up on Netflix and watched the last minute or so, and you were right. Still, they beat the emergency responders there and apparently didn't see the mile-high fireballs a little while ago. Those guys got some 'splainin' to do!

And without watching the movie again, aren't the staffers kind of waving like, "Hey, what's going on guys?" Among them, there's not a single look of the horror you would expect them to feel when arriving to work and finding A) their place of employment and livelihood slowly sinking to the bottom of the ocean and B ) their co-workers and friends are most probably dead.

A fun little coda to think about is if, upon arrival, you find out they were planning to refuel once they reached Aquatica. Radio for help? Nope, otherwise they probably would have done that before heading off to work and would have been forewarned that something was amiss. Consequently, after a few days drifting at sea and desperately resorting to cannibalism, the remaining members of the staff finally succumb to exposure and mercifully die.

The End.

"My hat is like a shark's fin!"

• Like 1

And without watching the movie again, aren't the staffers kind of waving like, "Hey, what's going on guys?" Among them, there's not a single look of the horror you would expect them to feel when arriving to work and finding A) their place of employment and livelihood slowly sinking to the bottom of the ocean and B ) their co-workers and friends are most probably dead.

A fun little coda to think about is if, upon arrival, you find out they were planning to refuel once they reached Aquatica. Radio for help? Nope, otherwise they probably would have done that before heading off to work and would have been forewarned that something was amiss. Consequently, after a few days drifting at sea and desperately resorting to cannibalism, the remaining members of the staff finally succumb to exposure and mercifully die.

The End.

"My hat is like a shark's fin!"

Yeah, they were all like "Looks like the next shift is here!", while the people on the boat are all "Woooooo! Guess who's back!", and our survivors are chuckling while LL says he'd rather be back in the ghetto. It makes me wonder, whenever these people return, like every Monday morning or whatever, do they always do the bullshit "Hey guys, ya miss us?!?!" shit? But yeah, no radio contact, we work with super sharks, and we saw smoke the entire way here. Nothing wrong at ALL...

• Like 1

Deep Blue Sea Fact-o-rama time!

http://mentalfloss.c...t-deep-blue-sea

I love that it says Samuel L. Jackson was offered the part of Preacher (who was not originally supposed to have such a big role) and he was like, "Hell, no, I'm not gonna play Chef from SOUTH PARK." And then Renny Harlin created a cooler role for him. I guess that explains the Ronny Cox mystery. His character must've been in charge before SLJ's was created. I would pay good money to see the awkward moment when he showed up to set to discover his part was completely erased.

So the scientists needed more shark brain proteins so they used gene therapy to enlarge the sharks brains, but this had the side effect of making them smart? If they needed more brain protein why didn't they just get more sharks instead of making the sharks bigger? If you need twice as much brain protein then just get twice as many sharks instead of making each shark twice as big. Then you don't have to deal with the ethical (breaking the "Harvard Genetic Pact"), technical (doing gene therapy), practical (how to safely deal with huge sharks, which they obviously fail to do) and existential (not getting eating) issues that accompany making these giant super smart sharks.

I also have trouble believe that those large sharks were even necessary. They got like a pint of brain serum and used a few drops for the experiment. Seems pretty wasteful.

Was thinking about that song too, WHAT HAT? does he mean his chef hat.

The one we never get to see him wearing in the movie.?

my hat is like a shark fin?

Thanks for posting this, Jarry! Do you think we should all take a stab at doing a critical analysis of "Deepest Bluest?" Maybe we should just go line by line...

Right now I am stuck on the lyric, "Getting the lap dance while I smash through your boat."

He also makes the classic error of mistaking "leagues" for "fathoms," which I love!

• Like 2

I'm still laughing at "Stellar Skateboard" although it's annoying that it won't stay on Wikipedia. I hope they have Evan Goldberg back in the future, and you can never go wrong with all-star PFT. It was also nice to have some June questions even without June.

• Like 3

Apparently "My Hat Is Like a Shark Fin" is actually a reference to an earlier rap song. From an article about the Cool James most out of touch moments (http://www.complex.c.../deepest-bluest)

I'm not sure if this makes the line cooler (Oh, see he is bringing it back to the history of rap) or dumber (can't even come up with your own Shark metaphor LL?)

1. Cooler

2. LL Cool J's signature look during the 80s was a kangol hat that he'd wear all the time, and this carried over into the 90s. It was so tied to his identity that when another rapper wanted to diss him, he disrespected one of the hats:

He challenged LL on his platinum selling album How Ya Like Me Now on the single of the same name. He also took a shot at LL by appearing on the album cover with a jeep in the background with the wheel crushing one of LL's trademark red Kangol hats.[3] The feud persisted, with both MCs proclaiming themselves the victor.

Kool_Moe_Dee_-_How_Ya_Like_Me_Now.jpg

And now, without further ado, the king of all bad "...and I'm here to say" raps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CRatikdWg

I feel like Larry Zbysko kinda killed it. Relatively, I mean.

• Like 2

I don't know if this has been brought up already in this forum and I know it was briefly mentioned on the show, but the overall story of how Saffron Burrows went from surviving to dying in reshoots is because test audiences hated her so much and blamed her for everything wrong happening in the movie, and rightfully so. There were even reports of people cheering for her to hopefully die in the original ending, which led for the eventual change.

I [may] have some interesting gossip to add to this point. (This is just hearsay, so it needs to be fact-checked.) I have a family member who worked on the post-production special effects for Deep Blue Sea. According to this relative, the ending was changed without informing Saffron Burrows -- watch her death scene again: as soon as she jumps into the water there's no close-ups, no reaction shots from her being attacked: only a CGI rendering of her body being eaten by the shark as soon as she hits the water. Supposedly, she was NEVER told about the change to the ending, so she went into the premiere still thinking she was the co-hero of the movie and was totally gobsmacked sitting in the theater watching herself be unceremoniously killed in the climax and LL Cool J taking her place. Again, this was told to me by someone who worked on the movie, and it needs to be confirmed, but if true it's pretty amazing.

• Like 2

I feel like Larry Zbysko kinda killed it. Relatively, I mean.

Yeah, I was going to point that out originally, that he just attacked it and looked like he was having a blast with something that he knew was so, so stupid. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll be seeing any of this during his WWE Hall of Fame induction this weekend...

• Like 1

I [may] have some interesting gossip to add to this point. (This is just hearsay, so it needs to be fact-checked.) I have a family member who worked on the post-production special effects for Deep Blue Sea. According to this relative, the ending was changed without informing Saffron Burrows -- watch her death scene again: as soon as she jumps into the water there's no close-ups, no reaction shots from her being attacked: only a CGI rendering of her body being eaten by the shark as soon as she hits the water. Supposedly, she was NEVER told about the change to the ending, so she went into the premiere still thinking she was the co-hero of the movie and was totally gobsmacked sitting in the theater watching herself be unceremoniously killed in the climax and LL Cool J taking her place. Again, this was told to me by someone who worked on the movie, and it needs to be confirmed, but if true it's pretty amazing.

From what I know about post-production decisions in film, that seems par for the course. You just hear a lot of stories about actors whose Big Scene (or maybe even their entire role) being cut without their knowledge. The director and studio are usually under no obligation to advise the actor on editing choices, unless that actor is Brad Pitt or George Clooney or an equivalent superstar. Or the studio has some sense of morality. Lolz.

• Like 1

I'm kind of hoping there would have been another alternative ending, something goes like this:

Saffron Burrows, Thomas Jane, LL Cool J, together three of them defeat the third shark (in this ending, Saffron Burrows survives.) Then just when everyone thinks the nightmare is over, Thomas Jane says: “Wait a minute…where’s the fourth shark? There were four sharks…I remember we got four sharks…where’s the fourth one?!”

Then Saffron Burrows starts to unzip her wet-suit. This is when we find out the real reason why the zipper of her wet-suit is at the front instead of the back like everyone else. Her entire body, like her wet-suit, falls into two halves right in front of our eye, revealing a giant shark. The zipper is not for her wet-suit, but her human suit. The real Dr. Susan McAlester has already been killed sometimes before the movie begins. And the Saffron Burrows we see throughout the movie is actually a shark wearing a disguise.

Fade to black.

What a twist!

• Like 4

I'm kind of hoping there would have been another alternative ending, something goes like this:

Saffron Burrows, Thomas Jane, LL Cool J, together three of them defeat the third shark (in this ending, Saffron Burrows survives.) Then just when everyone thinks the nightmare is over, Thomas Jane says: “Wait a minute…where’s the fourth shark? There were four sharks…I remember we got four sharks…where’s the fourth one?!”

Then Saffron Burrows starts to unzip her wet-suit. This is when we find out the real reason why the zipper of her wet-suit is at the front instead of the back like everyone else. Her entire body, like her wet-suit, falls into two halves right in front of our eye, revealing a human-skin wearing shark. The zipper is not for her wet-suit, but her human suit. The real Dr. Susan McAlester has already been killed sometimes before the movie begins. And the Saffron Burrows we see throughout the movie is actually a shark wearing a disguise.

Fade to black.

What a twist!

I'm down for most of this, but once they reveal her in her true form, could we bump LL's "Deepest Bluest" back a bit and end the movie with the song that should have been played over the credits?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezkrrA4vhs

Wait how have like 50 different videos been uploaded in this thread but NOT the actual music video for Deepest, Bluest, which is LL Cool J and a bunch of synchronized swimmers?

Is it just me or is there something weird about Aida Turturro's "Radar" character? It felt to me as if she was not part of the original story and was added after the rest of the movie had been shot. She spends almost the entire movie in her radio office except for the birthday party, and even in those scenes she is not talking or interacting with the rest of the cast. I think that either those scenes were reshoots, or they used CGI to add her in existing scenes so she could shoot birthday flares or dance at the party. When she dies I think only one person mentions her, and it was likely an ADR line anyway. If you removed her scenes from the movie it would not create any holes in the plot.

Lending creedence to my reshoots idea, I think the birthday party was a late addition to the story to do two things: (1) try to make the audience like Saffron Burrows' character more (who doesn't like someone on their birthday?), and (2) Harlin probably realizes that he had a movie with Sam Jackson and LL Cool J but they didn't have any scenes together. It feels like they created the birthday party scenes just so they could have a scene with the two of them together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sharks at Aquatica are supposed to be Mako sharks right?

In the beginning Thomas Jane pulls a license plate from a shark that clearly has the markings of a tiger shark. The shark looks nothing like a greyish-blue mako shark.

If I'm wrong and there is a Tiger Shark at the complex, there was still a design flaw in the robotic shark. The extremely expensive robotic shark. A tiger sharks nose is flat and blunt where as a makos nose is pointy. Aside from the fact that they are both sharks, they look completely different.

... and my mom said that reading all those shark books from the public library was a waste of time.

Tiger Shark:

Tiger-Shark-100.jpg

Shark from Deep Blue Sea:

deepblueplate.jpg

Mako Shark (note the blue-grey color):

mako_shark.gif

• Like 2

In the podcast there were references to the fact that even though the sharks were smarter, they would not suddenly understand things (I think the oven was the example they were discussing at the time).

Thus, I find it amazing no one mentioned the sharks taking out the cameras. Why would they, or more to the point, how would they know, what the function of a camera is, and thus there was no reason to take them out. Instead it's just "they're smart, they knew how to stop us from watching them".

• Like 1

In the podcast there were references to the fact that even though the sharks were smarter, they would not suddenly understand things (I think the oven was the example they were discussing at the time).

Thus, I find it amazing no one mentioned the sharks taking out the cameras. Why would they, or more to the point, how would they know, what the function of a camera is, and thus there was no reason to take them out. Instead it's just "they're smart, they knew how to stop us from watching them".

Maybe this goes back to the religious reading of the movie. Like, Adam and Eve eat an apple from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and become ashamed of their nude bodies, so they cover themselves up. The sharks get smarter, and similarly become ashamed. But since they don't have fig leaves, the best they can do is to prevent others from seeing their nude bodies. Their sweet sweet shark bodies.

• Like 4

That is a far better explanation for destroying the window with the body of Stellar Skateboard, "stop looking at us".

The other huge issue I had with this film, for being the boss, Samuel L Jackson's character appeared to have no damn clue about what his scientist was up. He had no knowledge of what the research was about, he barely even registered to being aware of what dementia was. He then arrives at the massive facility, that one would assume he signed off on in regarding to plans and money. But nope, he's just in awe and wonder with everything they are doing. I really wish I could find a boss like that, give me some cash and just somehow know what I'm doing is probably the right thing.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sharks at Aquatica are supposed to be Mako sharks right?

In the beginning Thomas Jane pulls a license plate from a shark that clearly has the markings of a tiger shark. The shark looks nothing like a greyish-blue mako shark.

If I'm wrong and there is a Tiger Shark at the complex, there was still a design flaw in the robotic shark. The extremely expensive robotic shark. A tiger sharks nose is flat and blunt where as a makos nose is pointy. Aside from the fact that they are both sharks, they look completely different.

... and my mom said that reading all those shark books from the public library was a waste of time.

I'm sure it's a case of no one involved with the film caring to think past the gimmick at all to have any sort of consistency. The sharks are just all-purpose and can do anything they need them to do or be anything they need them to be at any given time. It kind of reminds me of the movie "Iron Eagle", where every time they cut to a shot of the plane flying, it's a different plane. The main plane in that movie is like EIGHT different planes.

• Like 3

Correction -

During an "Avalanche" ice and snow moves at up to 186 MPH. Sam Jacksons statement is accurate.

His hat really is like a shark fin. Who knew, mystery solved.

2564sr6.jpg

didn't make this but wish I had. Just typed "shark fin hat" into google and found this.

UPDATE: If you guys do anything tonight, type shark fin hat into google, and hit images and get ready to laugh.

another good one is Deepest Bluest.

• Like 2

So...I just noticed this.

With this post the Deep Blue Sea episode will officially tie Monkey Shines for the third most commented episode of HDTGM. In just a few more it will have as many posts as A View to a Kill. Granted, it will never touch Temptation, but that is still pretty impressive. I really like this movie (in fact, I recommended it on one of my very first posts), but to have so many comments on it boggles my mind. In my opinion, HDTGM has covered much "crazier" movies in the past. Any theories as to why this one seems to resonate so much?