🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SteveH

A forum on forums

OK, this really quite annoyed me so I'm going to respond in a genuine way.

The number of posters isn't that important, the issue is the tone and volume of the posts. The forum has kept a fairly consistent vibe for at least the year I've been here, but changed massively in the last two weeks. It was fun and friendly before, but now it doesn't feel the same way. I think this is for two reasons:

1. The 'old' forums/posters had a mix of dumb jokes and sincere chatting, whereas the 'new' forums/posters seem to be more about playing a character. Playing a character, or having a persona, or trying to be like Sean and Hayes when they're doing the whole "Hollywood mogul" stuff harms the forum. It can be funny in short doses, but it totally fails at creating a culture where we really get to know each other. If we were all playing a character, I don't think we would have got to this point where we share pictures of our family and have video chats together and post links to our cool band's cool album and so on.

2. The volume of posts by new posters sky-rocketed. You and ChandlerBing are responsible for about a third of the posts on this thread. Just two posters, 33% of the posts. Last thread, you single-handedly posted about a seventh of the entire thread. It drowns out all the 'old' voices and makes it seem like the 'new' voices have taken over.

I don't think that as a single poster I have any more right than you to decide the tone of this place. But I do know that I enjoyed it before, and I don't now. I do know that I'm not the only poster who feels this way. And I don't think I should just "learn to accept" a clear degradation in the quality of this forum.

Wanted to leave this out of the regular thread because it's supposed to be fun.

I get it. Last week I went crazy with the breaking the record thing. This week just about every post I've made was in response to someone else. I thought people posted things with the expectation that it would be acknowledged in some way.

There is a complex, rich tapestry of culture and tradition in the HH forums which can make assimilation challenging.

Anyway, I'll keep a low profile.

• Like 2

Wanted to leave this out of the regular thread because it's supposed to be fun.

I get it. Last week I went crazy with the breaking the record thing. This week just about every post I've made was in response to someone else. I thought people posted things with the expectation that it would be acknowledged in some way.

There is a complex, rich tapestry of culture and tradition in the HH forums which can make assimilation challenging.

Anyway, I'll keep a low profile.

It's ok AD, we want people to feel welcome. Hang and let the jokes come to you. Andrew's comments are just notes, think of them as constructive and not mean-spirited. This is a fun place and it is pretty unique compared to the rest of the internet because people are trying to be nice and "real." Just don't piss off the mods because they are nice human people too and they have to read all this dumb stuff.

• Like 6

Yes to everything Bruce said.

I wouldn't worry too much about all the in-jokes and traditions, there really aren't that many besides calling a dad a "D". And if you want to acknowledge a post just "like" it, unless you really think a new post would add something good or funny. Maybe it's just me but for me, getting a lot of likes is just as good a sense of acknowledgement as getting a few replies.

I feel weird because there aren't really any rules so you haven't done anything wrong, and any tips on "how to post" are just my opinion and I'm not any sort of Leader Of The Forum. That said, yeah maybe keep it low profile until the new thread by chiming in just a couple times a day being sincere and real. Already the posts about your cat, and putting up a real avatar, and all the genuine stuff has been really good. Clearly you like the show and are committed to the forum, so please do stick around and it'll all be cool by next week's thread.

• Like 4

But not too many likes. People don't seem to like that either.

• Like 2

I was just thinking about if you could click Like on stuff in real life hahaha oh man what a trip

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about all the in-jokes and traditions, there really aren't that many besides calling a dad a "D".

Oh. oooooooh

• Like 1

SteveH, formerly American Diaper. I told you that when I got famous I'd bring you up with me, and nothing has changed. I appreciate everything you've done and even if it sounds like a character I think it's important that you are allowed to have the voice you want. Just because Andrew doesn't enjoy what you've said doesn't mean everyone doesn't. I think you're funny, do what you want!

• Like 2

I'd really like to thank all you guys for generating this content. HAHAHAHA that was a fun little reference, but in all seriousness I think we should really sit down and hammer out some rules for the HH forums. If there's one thing I would always appreciate more of it's hierarchy and regulation. I mean honestly ask yourselves guys, is it even worth having an internet forum devoted to a semi-obscure podcast if we don't have a complete set of unique and unbreakable social norms to go along with it. I, for one wouldn't stand for it! What if we were to just let people post whatever they wanted to? The internet would soon run out of space! In order to maintain a strict regulatory system on this forum, I propose we elect one person who could tell everyone else what to do. They could solve disputes, rank people's importance, and dictate the way we're supposed to behave (I guess we could call them the Dictator for short). I certainly don't feel qualified to nominate anyone as I really haven't earned enough street cred on this internet forum yet, so I leave the problem of nominating our ruler to you fine folks. Don't be shy, the forum depends upon you!

• Like 2