🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 341 — Banging the Table with Stars

OH MAH GOD. Amy Millan has been my ~hero~ since I was 17 or 18 and I've seen every Chicago show of theirs since then. So psyched to listen to this baby.

• Like 1

I hope Brian returns next year for a snubs and flubs ep

Claudia "Competition Winner" O'Doherty.

I'm glad you didn't use the other 'c' word. I know it's okay to say over there...

• Like 11

Most musical guests know when to take a step back and let the comedians do comedy on the comedy podcast.

Stars didn't seem to have much interest in that.

• Like 3

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Scott trying to spread the rumor of Weird Al taking the 'o' from Dr. Demento

• Like 7

Most musical guests know when to take a step back and let the comedians do comedy on the comedy podcast.

Scott doesn't have musical guests on just to play music, he has them on as regular guests to talk with and interact with the characters. That's the whole point.

• Like 11

Here's the problem. People complain when musical guests get too involved in the flow of CBB. People complain when musical guests don't get involved with the flow of CBB.

How can you complain when the guests really try to get into the spirit of the show, go along with Scottie Scares Em's bits from moment one and show enthusiasm for interacting with the character guests? Stars did all of those things.

• Like 13

Here's the problem. People complain when musical guests get too involved in the flow of CBB. People complain when musical guests don't get involved with the flow of CBB.

How can you complain when the guests really try to get into the spirit of the show, go along with Scottie Scares Em's bits from moment one and show enthusiasm for interacting with the character guests? Stars did all of those things.

I would have liked about 20-30% less Stars, and more Claudia and Neil. That's all I'll say.

• Like 8

Stars were solid guests I thought, but I agree had it been just Neil and Claudia and maybe another comedian things could've really gone off the rails in a good way a la Tony Macaroni. Also nice surprise appearance from Kumail Nanjiani in the ads.

• Like 1

I guess my biggest problem was that they weren't funny, but clearly thought otherwise. Annie Clark was funny. Nick Lowe was funny (and to my earlier point, both Annie and Nick stayed quiet for long stretches). Stars weren't funny, and they derailed both CO and NC's characters.

I can't be alone here. Does no one else think Stars were terrible? Seems to be the only reaction over on AV Club.

• Like 2

I guess my biggest problem was that they weren't funny, but clearly thought otherwise. Annie Clark was funny. Nick Lowe was funny (and to my earlier point, both Annie and Nick stayed quiet for long stretches). Stars weren't funny, and they derailed both CO and NC's characters.

I can't be alone here. Does no one else think Stars were terrible? Seems to be the only reaction over on AV Club.

If you're feeling alone here, maybe complain about them somewhere else?

I don't get people coming here to crap on the guests. That's what nasty pages on Reddit are for.

PS How many bands have ever come back for a repeat performance? Giving feedback on how much you disliked one cannot have any positive value for anyone other than the complainer. God this gets so old.

• Like 13

different people want different things?

edit: I actually enjoyed Star within the perimeter's of my expectations. One of their songs I didn't hate, which is more than I can say about 99% of musical guests on podcasts and talk shows. (I hate music on comedy with an irrational passion).

The guys tried, were funny at times, weren't at others. To me, that's enough. I don't think they were any less funny than the lawyer guy was, for instance, they just talked a lot more.

• Like 1

edit: nevermind, shouldn't give these people attention

If you're feeling alone here, maybe complain about them somewhere else?

I don't get people coming here to crap on the guests. That's what nasty pages on Reddit are for.

PS How many bands have ever come back for a repeat performance? Giving feedback on how much you disliked one cannot have any positive value for anyone other than the complainer. God this gets so old.

Venting. It's fun to commiserate about something you hate.

Also, I should say that I LIKE Stars…I have Heart and SYOF. They just weren't very good here, and it ruined a Claudia O'Doherty appearance. Be honest: Did you not feel any weird tension when Amy shut down one of Claudia's first bits? I thought that was pretty strange.

I'm much more hesitant to speak on (Hollywood Handbook, much love) bad appearances by comedians. Musicians, I'm sure they couldn't care less.

• Like 3

Venting. It's fun to commiserate about something you hate.

Also, I should say that I LIKE Stars…I have Heart and SYOF. They just weren't very good here, and it ruined a Claudia O'Doherty appearance. Be honest: Did you not feel any weird tension when Amy shut down one of Claudia's first bits? I thought that was pretty strange.

I'm much more hesitant to speak on (Hollywood Handbook, much love) bad appearances by comedians. Musicians, I'm sure they couldn't care less.

Well if you're sure then I guess it's fine.

edit: nevermind, shouldn't give these people attention

edit edit: I saw that and I liked it inwardly.

I would have liked about 20-30% less Stars, and more Claudia and Neil. That's all I'll say.

are we talking words per minute (WPM) or overall airtime? what if they spoke the same amount but quicker?

• Like 6

I liked Stars, and I liked Claudia and Neil, and I did not feel like the former detracted from the latter.

• Like 11