🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 341 — Banging the Table with Stars

No matter how many times Claudia did the Kim Cattrall impression, it kept catching me off-guard and made me laugh out loud every time. I was glad when Scott mentioned that the Would You Rather theme mentioned the Chinese Theater, because it was the first thing that came into my head when the song came on. Liked the mmmuuusical guests a lot.

• Like 3

Listening to the conversation about Huge Ackman being Australian but playing the Canadian Wolverine reminds me of this late 80s X-Men pilot, in which Wolverine was portrayed as Australian:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ykK4sAHkvzw

Just thought I'd share.

The guy who did Wolverine's voice must have studied at the drunk, cockney, pirate school of Australian accents.

Hearing that has made my day so much better, it's right up there with Conan O'Brien on the all time bad Ozzie accents list.

• Like 1

I'm glad you didn't use the other 'c' word. I know it's okay to say over there...

I love Scott's running bit of trying to get the guest, especially first-timer, to say cunt on-air. There's something very funny and childish about Scott pushing the guest towards saying the "c-word" and then bailing on it by claiming he meant cocksucker.

Anyways good episode, liked the Stars as first time guests and Claudia and Neil were good, even though the episode could have gone to weirder places (like the Tony Macaroni episode).

I wonder what Jazz Jazz has to say about another barber appearing on CBB. I think Scott should have a one-time barber-off between Brian's old timey haircuts and Jazz Jazz's mouth haircuts.

PS. Once again loved the adds, it was nice to hear Kumail in one of them. I've been really getting into Hollywood Handbook this past week and been absolutely loving it!

• Like 4

I love Scott's running bit of trying to get the guest, especially first-timer, to say cunt on-air. There's something very funny and childish about Scott pushing the guest towards saying the "c-word" and then bailing on it by claiming he meant cocksucker.

Anyways good episode, liked the Stars as first time guests and Claudia and Neil were good, even though the episode could have gone to weirder places (like the Tony Macaroni episode).

I wonder what Jazz Jazz has to say about another barber appearing on CBB. I think Scott should have a one-time barber-off between Brian's old timey haircuts and Jazz Jazz's mouth haircuts.

PS. Once again loved the adds, it was nice to hear Kumail in one of them. I've been really getting into Hollywood Handbook this past week and been absolutely loving it!

Jazz Jazz is one of my all-time top favorite appearances.

Also, everyone should be listening to HH.

• Like 3

Show was great, Stars were fantastic, all of you bitching should go learn how to play guitar like a sexy god, headline coachella, order a limo driver to get 20 mirrors, and take a good look at yourself. This awesome show is free, new every week (sometimes twice!), and always entertaining, stop.

• Like 7

I really enjoyed Stars- both comedically and musically. Claudia and Neil are the best! I got a lot of joy out of this episode and loved that it was a longer one.

• Like 2

I think Stars' sense of humour was different to mine, annoying because Claudia and Neil are among my favourite guests, still good songs though, and I think the ep was ok.

The forums are really nice and that's very much a good thing, but do we have to shit on everyone who has something negative to say? Not every episode of CBB is going to work, that's the nature of improv, it should be cool to talk about that. Although having said that, commenting 'x is not funny' or being mean to the guests is not good form

• Like 6

I think the general consensus is to not shit on episodes or guests in the forum. I really do think most people take it personally when strangers shit on their work.

• Like 2

I really liked Stars' appearance. I think they did a great job interacting with the comedy guests without getting too much in their way. But from the way Amy was being snippy, at times, to Scott and Claudia, to her unwillingness to jump into certain bits, I felt like she wasn't as in the mood for comedy as Torquil was that day. In fact, I found Torquil funny enough that if I weren't told he was a musical guest, I would have assumed he was a new comedic guest. He was yes-and-ing like a pro.

But yeah, I definitely felt some weird tension early on in the podcast.

• Like 4

The episode was good. I listened 1.5 times.

I like Stars, particularly Torquil, because his name reminds me of the 84-minute movie Torque and Adam Scott's amazing performance as FBI Agent "Mcpherson."

• Like 7

What a dream episode. I loved them since high school where one day I heard your ex lover is dead played on Degrassi.

Also shouting out my favorite songs, the night starts here. what a great and warm ep. maybe best of the year.

• Like 1

Claudia was killin it as usual

Also, give me my money back you creole piece of shit

• Like 8

Hey, they're from where I'm from and I love their music! Everything about this episode was great, they're keeping up a trend of musical guests who are fitting perfectly into the podcast, particularly Torquil. Claudia and Neil seem like kindred spirits in a way, because they can start with something so simple and mundane and turn it into a hilarious character. I love when Neil referred to her love of fucking and she got really offended, because that's Kim and not Claudia (she hates fucking, it's smelly).

I also strongly believe in the merits of having a "hard part", especially if you're trying to attract a Kim Cattral type of gal.

• Like 2

Discovering the customer with long hair was actually a woman made me laugh harder than it probably should have.

There was also this during the ads that got a little fist pump out of me:

"What kind of music do you listen to?!"

"Not KISS."

Discovering the customer with long hair was actually a woman made me laugh harder than it probably should have.

There was also this during the ads that got a little fist pump out of me:

"What kind of music do you listen to?!"

"Not KISS."

I love KISS, so that got the opposite of a fist pump from me. Like a shrugged shoulders, defeated sigh kinda thing.

• Like 1

Here's my take on musicians on the show: improv is seductive but hard. A funny anecdote is your best friend.*

Regarding those ads, I'm curious about Hollywood Handbook but I don't want to commit to another podcast on a whim without knowing if it's good. Do any HH fans here have some insight on that front? Is it nice? Funny? Other adjectives you'd use? Do those adjectives apply to the hosts as well?

*Rule invalid for 'Weirdo' Al Yankovic

• Like 5

I got a little bummed out when Torquil mentioned Phish . . . I wondered if Scott was going to comment on that, but I'm kinda glad he didn't.

I felt like Scott's reply that you "...have to like Phish." was a bit of solidarity.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here. I also can find nothing at fault with the best thing happening in comedy. Except for how much money it costs. What was the question?

• Like 2

MORE LIKE SNORE-QUIL!!!

AM I RIGHT PEOPLE?

jk.

I guess my biggest problem was that they weren't funny, but clearly thought otherwise. Annie Clark was funny. Nick Lowe was funny (and to my earlier point, both Annie and Nick stayed quiet for long stretches). Stars weren't funny, and they derailed both CO and NC's characters.

I can't be alone here. Does no one else think Stars were terrible? Seems to be the only reaction over on AV Club.

I'm pretty sure you're alone here, Torquil was genuinely funny and added loads

• Like 5

I get home late on Sunday nights, and usually fall asleep to the new CBB. I woke up to "Elevator Love Song" an hour after drifting. I have played it on Spotify 5 times today and can't believe I missed this band... I applaud CBB for providing a venue for Stars, who I might add, were great guests as well, and very game. All this talk beating on the guests on this free show is weak sauce.

• Like 1

I too felt like the musical guest were not the best. More a fan of Torquill than Amy, and what a fan I am of that name... Why do people get so insane whenever anyone shares their opinion and it isn't completely roses and tulips? I agree that saying the guest was "horrible" or "awful" is a bit much, but if you want to say that you werent the biggest fan of a guest or you just felt like they didnt blend in well, what the hell is wrong with that?

Please people, don't pretend this is like what you want your kids elementary school to be like, where everyone just says how much they love each other and everyone is hilarious and great and respectful and amazing. it's real life, its a forum, where people come to trade opinions and thoughts, agree that things were downright hilarious or more boring than usual. So if someone thinks it was boring or a guest didnt fit in well, give your opinion, say why you think they might be wrong, but don't be mean and awful with the reason being because you think a person was too mean or awful...

• Like 6