🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 341 — Banging the Table with Stars

I'm pretty sure you're alone here, Torquil was genuinely funny and added loads

i enjoyed them too. Seemed to be game for whatever and Claudia and Neil were great as usual. I LOVED the Chappie talk. That movie has grown on me in the 2 weeks since I've seen it. That moment at the 1 hour mark where everyone was just blurting out "Chappie" was great. I don't think I can ever tire of Claudia playing Claudia. she cracks me up. And Neil is just one of the funniest guys around. Oh yeah...Barber Barber?!?!?! hahahahaha

• Like 1

Stars were fine, I guess. I'm just not sure it's a winning recipe when the people not involved in comedy do most of the talking.

Claudia is hilarious. I was wondering, is there anyone else who uses their real name and is also a character? Her Sex and the City impressions are stellar.

I did find that it was a little offputting when Amy shut down Claudia on her use of mum. It wasn't really funny or necessary -- there was something a bit hostile about it (though Claudia saved it by saying "I can't possibly do that"). I liked Torquil though, he was game and had some good anecdotes.

Also seconding the Emily Haines guest request.

Oh and these ads were the best ones yet.

• Like 3

Also seconding the Emily Haines guest request.

Oh and these ads were the best ones yet.

when the 2nd set of ads came on i was like ok enough with these handbook boys as i reached for the ff button, then I heard Kumail and put my fingers away. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat some sweet meatballs.

• Like 1

when the 2nd set of ads came on i was like ok enough with these handbook boys as i reached for the ff button, then I heard Kumail and put my fingers away. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to eat some sweet meatballs.

It's been a brilliant move by Scott. I've been FF through commercials for weeks now and am finally listening to them again. Reminds me of the NNF commercials.

• Like 1

It's been a brilliant move by Scott. I've been FF through commercials for weeks now and am finally listening to them again. Reminds me of the NNF commercials.

one of my main selling points for people who don't know the bing-bong universe is, "this dude is so fucking funny even his ads make me laugh out loud."

• Like 2

one of my main selling points for people who don't know the bing-bong universe is, "this dude is so fucking funny even his ads make me laugh out loud."

Scott is a genius.

• Like 1

The quality of the music recording is incredible! When the first song started I actually thought "oh this is lame, they're just playing a song off one of the records". I can't believe that was live!

• Like 9

Here's my take on musicians on the show: improv is seductive but hard. A funny anecdote is your best friend.*

Regarding those ads, I'm curious about Hollywood Handbook but I don't want to commit to another podcast on a whim without knowing if it's good. Do any HH fans here have some insight on that front? Is it nice? Funny? Other adjectives you'd use? Do those adjectives apply to the hosts as well?

*Rule invalid for 'Weirdo' Al Yankovic

listen to it. the first few episodes are all solid

*second PFT episode is a good starting point also*

I find the idea of someone expressing their dislike of something on the internet shocking

• Like 8

I find the idea of someone expressing their dislike of something on the internet shocking

I DISLIKE THAT YOU SAID THAT!

• Like 3

Regarding those ads, I'm curious about Hollywood Handbook but I don't want to commit to another podcast on a whim without knowing if it's good. Do any HH fans here have some insight on that front? Is it nice? Funny? Other adjectives you'd use? Do those adjectives apply to the hosts as well?

As an HH fan I wanna give some props to Hayes and Sean.

They are nice guys and also funny and cool, so if you want to listen to a funny nice show that's cool and not done by mean guys then you should listen to it.

The episode with Shelby Fero is really nice and so is the one with Scott Anchorman and Jeff Ullrich. I like how cool the Grace Helbig episode is also and for some reason the recent episode with Kumail Nanjiani made me stop and think "Wow, these guys are not only nice and cool but they're also not mean guys and the show is funny and nice.

• Like 5

During the Harry's segment, Scott set up a Wittels homage that the HH dudes missed...

Scott at 25:27: "It's about shaving, guys!"

Harris in Heaven: "You had me at shaving guys!"

• Like 6

I hadn't even listened to much of the episode when I engaged in some flame warring earlier and now that I've heard the way Amy shut down Claudia over the Mum thing I can say: "THAT is why people hated the band? Y'all crazy".

If Scott had jumped in and derailed like that it would have felt totally normal. People get their backs up whenever there's a mmmmmusical guest and they need to calm down, or just not listen that week.

Great episode.

• Like 2

You know, in olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking, but nowadays people are more lenient about what you can get away with. Almost as though all things were permitted.

• Like 1

I hadn't even listened to much of the episode when I engaged in some flame warring earlier and now that I've heard the way Amy shut down Claudia over the Mum thing I can say: "THAT is why people hated the band? Y'all crazy".

If Scott had jumped in and derailed like that it would have felt totally totally normal. People get their backs up whenever there's a mmmmmusical guest and they need to calm down, or just not listen that week.

Great episode.

Maybe its like when you're a new person in a group and like, you say something that would be okay if they knew you better / you'd been around longer, but they don't and it gives people a bad first impression. Like you haven't earned the right to talk to me like that yet, because I can't tell if you're joking with me or actually being a dick. We know Scott's persona, we don't know hers. Hard to tell if she was being critical to Claudia the character or Claudia the actual person (seeing as how the mum thing might be the way she actually would say that, and not just a character tic, can't say for sure though but its possible). I think maybe thats what some of us were feeling when we heard that part. I didn't think anything else had a tone like that before or after though, so I wasn't completely soured on Amy, there was just something weird about that moment for me.

Maybes its just me, but for me...

• Like 2

For all the handwringing about musical guests, has Scott shown any sign of changing the way he books his show?

• Like 2

For all the handwringing about musical guests, has Scott shown any sign of changing the way he books his show?

yes... he seems to be booking more of them! and I enjoy it

i was worried after the antonoff fiasco

i was worried after the antonoff fiasco

but to be fair, that was different... he was close to awful, it almost felt like Scott had him on blindly in some sort of "punk'd-ing" like that Ashram Kitchen fellow

speaking of Gil Faizon, has he ever brought up Robert Durst? I dont know why but after watching the Jinx, I felt like this might be one of the New York persona names that has popped up but flew completely over my head because I didn't know the story until recently.

So if Kroll hasn't worked in any Bob Durst references, he definitely should. The name just sounds right coming out in the Faizon-voice. Something along the lines of a:

"well this was back when we were hanging out at Bob Durst's place, snorting c'cane off his wife's missing torso and talkin about the good old days"

• Like 1

*second PFT episode is a good starting point also*

The PFT2 (HH ep#66) was my way in. They start off with this rambling, really kinda lame intro. Then PFT comes on and tells them everything that was wrong with it. Pretty good.

I thought the Stars singers were great! Torquil fit in a little more than Amy. The "mum" bit started off a little awkward but I think she thought that was part of Claudia's character (which is tough to figure out if you've never listened to the show). They also saved it with callbacks, etc.

I'm enjoying the variety of guests on the show. Attaboy Scott!

• Like 1