🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 106.5 — Minisode 106.5

just finished it. i actually had fun watching most of it and, as a side note, wow is bridget fonda beautiful.

i did feel it kinda fell flat once it got into the last 15 mins but there were parts i really enjoyed, especially when the great brendan gleeson and oliver platt went head to head.

anyways, i was just wondering if anyone watched any of the 3 sequels?

This is a two-part question:

Would this movie be better if the crocodile could talk?

And, would the talking crocodile be better if voiced by Nicolas Cage?

Let's write that movie.

ALL of us.

• Like 4

another hdtgm coincidence ... its Brendan gleesons birthday today, happy 60th Brendan

if you havent seen the guard you should give it a watch, very funny

himself, Domhnall and Brian were in a play up in Dublin back in January, meant to go see it but life got in the way. It was supposed to be brilliant. Theyre really establishing themselves as a great acting dynasty .. like the Sheen/Esteves clan

• Like 2

FUCK YES I love The Guard. It's done by John Michael McDonagh, the same writer/director who did Calvary. Anyone who enjoys this podcast would probably love The Guard since, on its surface it is a buddy cop movie, so you get those "contrast in style and background" tropes and jokes, but it manages to do some fantastic and original things with the genre. The movie displays a herculean effort in how unique and immediately enjoyable it is. Please watch both these films, you guys. Calvary is much more tragic, but both movies have weight.

• Like 2

20 minutes in and I already can't wait for this croc monster to eat Bridget Fonda's character.

"I thought camp was like a Ramada Inn!"

WHAT?!

• Like 2

No major character dies?! Major disappointment. I've gotta give this round to Deep Blue Sea.

• Like 3

Let's write that movie.

ALL of us.

When the Croc bursts out of the water, Cage should be singshouting YOOO-HOOOOO!

• Like 1

So that's what sean connery is doing now.

I'm worried for him as the woman he is with (in the blue to his right) has hands that grow out of her chest.

• Like 2

I'm worried for him as the woman he is with (in the blue to his right) has hands that grow out of her chest.

LOL I never noticed that tell now. thank you.

"Hoi polloi."

19789999.jpg

On the other hand, Paul's use of "gobsmacked" was on point.

I'm occasionally struck by British idioms popping up on the HDTGM podcast that I thought were unknown across the pond. I'm sure Paul or Jason referred to as idea being "nicked" from another film recently...

• Like 1

I'm occasionally struck by British idioms popping up on the HDTGM podcast that I thought were unknown across the pond. I'm sure Paul or Jason referred to as idea being "nicked" from another film recently...

Ha, yeah.

I bet since "hoi polloi" is Greek, though, he probably just nicked that one from Mantzoukas.

• Like 2

Good things about Lake Placid: it was only 82 minutes long

Bad things about Lake Placid: pretty much everything else

• Like 2

Good things about Lake Placid: it was only 82 minutes long

Bad things about Lake Placid: pretty much everything else

Although your first point ties into LL's theory of relativity-that felt like it was two and a half hours of dreck!

• Like 3

Although your first point ties into LL's theory of relativity-that felt like it was two and a half hours of dreck!

Deeper! Placider!

My skin is like a handbag

• Like 7

FUCK YES I love The Guard. It's done by John Michael McDonagh, the same writer/director who did Calvary. Anyone who enjoys this podcast would probably love The Guard since, on its surface it is a buddy cop movie, so you get those "contrast in style and background" tropes and jokes, but it manages to do some fantastic and original things with the genre. The movie displays a herculean effort in how unique and immediately enjoyable it is. Please watch both these films, you guys. Calvary is much more tragic, but both movies have weight.

* bump *

This looks WAY better than Lake Placid. Motion to all watch The Guard and discuss til the next ep comes out.

• Like 1

I saw it when it first came out and absolutely loved it. It was on Showtime this weekend so I caught bits and pieces, still loved it.

In case folks didn't know, the writer/director is the brother of the writer/director of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths, two more movies I love.

A seriously talented pair.

• Like 1

If you want your movie to feature an Irishman committing murder, hire Brendan Gleeson and one of the McDonagh brothers for a guaranteed cinematic success!

• Like 1

If you want your movie to feature an Irishman committing murder, hire Brendan Gleeson and one of the McDonagh brothers for a guaranteed cinematic success!

Him calling Raph Fiennes' entire family "C***s" in In Bruges was amazing.

• Like 1

"...it's in Belgium."

"If I had grown up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges would impress me. But, I didn't. So, it doesn't."

Damn, I really need to watch that movie again soon...

• Like 2

I really enjoyed watching Deep Blue Sea so I was excited to watch Lake Placid. Boy was I wrong...this thing was a snooze fest! I also found Bridget Fonda's character to be one of the most annoying movie characters of all time. Maybe I missed something since I found myself checking out frequently while watching this but the only time her paleontology knowledge came up was when she looked at the tooth and declared it as prehistoric. Other than that all she did was scream, whine, complain, and insult people. I kept waiting for a Jurassic Park moment when she would say something like "Research shows that Prehistoric Crocodiles had a strict diet of cows and bread" and then cut to them using this knowledge. Nope instead she just screamed and insulted the "horrible" state of Maine(?).

• Like 2

At one point Paul is talking about Nic Cage not being a replacement for LL, and I thought for sure he was going to say "and never the twain shall meet". Instead, he said "and never should the trains meet". Is this a thing that people say? As of this posting, there are 0 Google results for that phrase in quotes.

I checked this thread primarily to see if anyone else enjoyed "and never should the trains meet" :D

tumblr_inline_nm5su1JjB91qzyvhx_500.jpg

it's just good advice, for trains.

• Like 4

If anyone else pays way too much for movie channels and has Encore Play, Lake Placid is up for your viewing pleasure.

• Like 1

I know I couldn't do a better job, but I hope there's an eventual rotation in the C&O theme. I'm still catching up on old episodes

Sign in to follow this