🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Grand Moff Talkin'

Under the Cherry Moon (1986)

Where do you go to buy a Sam Cooke album?

PrinceWreckaStowGif.gif

Directed by Prince

Written by Betty Johnston (who went on to write The Prince of Tides and Seven Years in Tibet)

Prince and Jerome from "The Time" are a pair of con artists in Nice, France who plan to swindle an heiress (Kristen Scott Thomas in her first film) out of her trust. Just one problem. Prince falls in love with her.

Under the Cherry Moon won five Razzies including Worst Picture yet Prince also won a Grammy for his iconic song "Kiss." In fact it may be the worst film to have the best soundtrack. Other fun facts: Kristen Scott Thomas was nominated for a Worst New Star Razzie; Prince fired the original director and took over himself - because it was filmed in France DGA rules didn't apply.

This film is both awful and awfully great.

• Like 1

Sure was a step down from his other movie, Purple Rain.

I think what prince was thinking was if Mr Sylvester Stallone can write and direct and star in his own movies why the hell can't I.

I'll show them. i'll show them all, doubters.

• Like 2

This would actually a great choice. I have never seen it, but since both Choctaw Aukerman and Kulap are big time Prince fans, they would be outstanding guests. It's also always interesting when an artist with both great creative and commercial power goes, in the words of Jason Mantzoukas, "cuckoo bananas" and drops a giant turd like this.

• Like 5

Prince is a great topic of discussion for HDTGM. Of his movies, Purple Rain and Sign O' The Times are great and Graffiti Bridge is an incoherent fever dream of a film. Under the Cherry Moon has a terrible plot, bad acting, an uneven tone, great cinematography and like I said before a really good soundtrack. This one falls right into perfect podcast territory.

Wanted to get my vote in for this one vs. the MUCH WORSE Graffiti Bridge. Under the Cherry Moon is bad, but in a fun, silly way, filled with opportunities to make fun. Bridge is just tragic and not very watchable. I, as a Prince fanatic, only made it partially through this movie the first time. Cherry I owned on VHS, no DVD and love it just for it's weirdness.

I don't care what anyone else says, this movie is a delight. The dialogue is ridiculous and hokey but I enjoyed every second of it.

Sign in to follow this