🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 107 — Lake Placid: LIVE!

I just want to say: it was brought up that Brendan Gleeson says the line "Everyone's a comedian sarcastic" which definitely seems like he was speaking a stage direction. But the weird thing is that in the very next scene he does it again! Bill Pullman says that it was probably a beaver that bit the diver in half and Brendan Gleeson says "Oh, a whole sentence sarcastic". So either there were some serious problems with the script transcription or Brendan Gleeson had such disdain for the movie that he tried to see what he could get way with without being called out (which I like to believe).

• Like 4

Bohren, you just made me think: maybe the stage direction was something lost in translation between the handwritten script and the assistant who typed it out. It could've been the assistant's mistake and then for some reason nobody caught it and it remained as dialogue, and Gleeson was just like "fuck it"... A bit far-fetched, but to me it makes some sense and could help explain some of the lines in this movie. Maybe there was something about Pullman's character saying he should be heroic, but the assistant couldn't read the shitty handwriting and put "stoic" instead.

• Like 2

It is claimed to be Betty White’s bad langue that gave this move its R rating… I think she also regretted the part, and the language used after its release. She apologized for the language many times…

RIP Robert Z’dar…

Oh and another update: The lake in this movie is NOT called Lake Placid. Bridget Fonda comments on how still the water is and Brendan Gleeson says "well they wanted to call it Lake Placid but the name was already taken". So the actual Lake Placid in New York does exist in the world of this movie and also the lake is never actually named.

• Like 3

I agree with what they said in the episode. None of this changes the fact that I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I like horror movies but get sick of the same thing. Why does it have to always be set up that someone has found the one thing they've been searching for their entire lives? That gets so boring.

It is unforgivable that they skipped over the best life of the movie, "If I had a dick, this is where I would tell you to suck it."

I would have mated with Oliver Platt! :-)

Also, can you image how funny this would have been with June there? Will we never know how much June knows about alligators?

• Like 1

"You are a mental"

is quite an English thing to say. I bet that wasn't a mistake.

Also "I'm not a brain scientist" probably played for laughs to.

I haven't seen this film but those lines don't seem out of place at all. Especially the brain scientist one. It's like "it's not rocket surgery"

I was at this taping and it fucking ruled. I can die happy now (although I was pretty sad June couldn't make it. HOW WILL I KNOW IF THE CROC WAS WELL COMPENSATED OR NOT).

I'm willing to venture a guess that no actual living crocodile came anywhere near this movie.

bears and cows...? maybe.

Did anyone else notice that this crappy movie is just a rip-off of an episode of the X-Files from 1996? It's called Quagmire, and it's way better than this stupid movie. It's got a crocodile in a lake in New England. It's got a frog scientist instead of a turtle tagger. And they were smart enough to have a motivation for people not wanting to put up a sign to close the lake (tourism, and people think the monster in the lake is a kind of American version of the Loch Ness monster). And it subs in an adorable Pomeranian for the stupid bear. Plus it's actually, you know...funny. I bet anything David E Kelly watched that episode of the X-files and then probably forgot all about it and thought he came up with the idea himself, only he didn't remember anything that made it good.

• Like 8

I'm from the UK and I've never heard it. 'a mental case', yes, 'a looney' 'loon' 'nutter or 'nut case' yes but never 'a mental'

It depends on where you're from, I'm from the midlands and I've heard it, and "He's a mental!" Is the punchline of a Lee Evans joke, too.

Unrelated to that, when Gleeson says "Everyone's a joker, sarcastic", I have a theory that it was added in during filming. Because British and Irish people use the term "sarcy" for a comment or person that is sarcastic. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gleeson ad libbed "Everyone's a joker, Sarcy!" and they realised that no one else would know what "sarcy" meant, so they added "sarcastic", which just sounds ridiculous.

I checked Carrie "Wach the Moves" Walker's other reviews and they are hilarious. The Lake Placid review isn't even her best one. She has six reviews so I'll just post them all here. Five of the six are five star reviews so here they are:

Lake Placid: "WE LOVE THIS MOVEING AND ALL GET MOVES OUT ON WEEKENDS AND WACH THE MOVES WE HAVE ALL OF THAN

Lake Placid 2: LOVE IT LOVE TO GET GOOD MOVES LOVE MOVES LIKE THAT AND MY BOYS THE LOVE THAM TO WE SET BACK AND WACH THEM ALL THE TIME"

Beverly Hill Billies: "WE ALL LOVE THIS MOVE IT IS SO FUNING WE CAN WACH THIS OVER AND OVER SO THE PUT THIS IN A LOT"

An acoustic guitar and beginner's starter pack: "I GOT THIS FOR MY SON DAKOTA FOR CHRISTMAS AND HE LOVE IT AND SO DID I

I GOT THIS FOR 20.00 DOLLERS YO CAN NOT BET THAT"

NCAA Alabama Crimson Tide Cooler: "I LOVE IT AND SO DID MY BOYS WE WELL USE IT FOR ALL KIDS OF THINGS AND FOR SPRING AND SUMMER"

And my personal favorite, her one star review for a movie called Smoky Mountain Christmas: "IT SHOUD OF BE THE MOVE SMOKING MOUNTH MOVE WITH DOOLY PARRTY IN IT THEY DID NOT GET MY

ORDER RIGHT" (she made the last two words a separate paragraph so I'm just preserving that)

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.co..._pr_pdp?ie=UTF8

• Like 5

I am almost 99% sure that the Gleeson sarcastic lines were not legal-pad-transcription-stage-direction errors, but were honest-to-God intended to be read as written. In addition to David E Kelley's standard characters, he loves writing in verbal tics that sound fucking stupid (see "Denny Crane!," the judge who called everyone a toad in "Chicago Hope," everything ever said on "Ally McBeal").

• Like 1

Most infamous example of the "reading a stage direction" phenomenon:

• Like 8

I think it's a testament to the utter banality and humorlessness of this "comedy horror" film that the most interesting or compelling aspect is the motivation for Brendan Gleeson to deliver a couple of idiosyncratic line readings. Way more worth thinking about than the actual plot.

• Like 4

maybe the croc got so big because betty white was feeding it cows full of growth hormones. i mean she was probably an organic farmer at first but as the croc kept coming back for more and more feedings she couldnt keep up so she turned to chemicals to grow her cows faster .. i mean im not a cow scientist or anything ...im sure Werner Hertzog could have explained it better

• Like 1

No seriously, does anybody else hear the two background farts at 45:00 - 45:05?! I'm no ass scientist, but the lack of response to my question makes me think I might be a mental.

I'm sorry but I have a favor to ask of everyone. Can you please go back to the 45:00 mark, listen until 45:05, and tell me if you hear anything in the background? I'm hearing two wet farts and they sound real, so I'm really hoping maybe this can be addressed in the next minisode.

Easy. Those were wet blood farts.

• Like 2

Easy. Those were wet blood farts.

How did I miss the obvious answer?! Thanks for clearing this up, but I still hope Paul might address it on the minisode.

• Like 1

Most infamous example of the "reading a stage direction" phenomenon:

D'oh! You beat me to it! I know I've used it before, maybe on the God's Not Dead (NOW on Netflix) thread.

I was at this taping and it fucking ruled. I can die happy now (although I was pretty sad June couldn't make it. HOW WILL I KNOW IF THE CROC WAS WELL COMPENSATED OR NOT).

I think... if I understand her correctly... the issue isn't compensation so much as being properly credited at the end of the film???

• Like 2

A few thoughts:

1. "I hear cow legs" should be on a sticker.

2. A Bruce Jenner joke. Really guys? The Kardashians are annoying, but there's no excuse for "haha, trans people" to still be a punchline in 20-damn-15. Cut the lady some slack.

3. Considering HDTGM is a film podcast, I find it amusing that Jason and Paul both think of Danny Elfman in terms of Oingo Boingo, instead of his film scores. (Also because OB is my favorite band, and any mention of them warms my gross little heart.)

4. Did anyone else mishear "little chocolate peecees" as "little chocolate feces" or am I just an awful person?

5. According to IMDB, Bridget Fonda almost played Ally McBeal. Not sure how to feel about that.

• Like 4

Sorry for posting so much, but I just watched this and it's a funny coincidence (and fits with what some users from the UK said earlier about "a mental"):

I'm also really excited for Face/Off and for Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans with Werner Herzog (PFT). How about Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe with Jesse Ventura (James Adomian)?

• Like 3