🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 107 — Lake Placid: LIVE!

I want someone to cut together the footage of the bear growling at everyone with the audio of Sam Jackson's speech from DEEP BLUE SEA. How did no one mention that both of these movies had a dramatic scene of a "character" shouting at a group and then being suddenly and comically eaten by the monster from behind?

• Like 1

How about Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe with Jesse Ventura (James Adomian)?

I would love this simply because I already have Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe on DVD, and I need an excuse to rewatch it.

• Like 2

2. A Bruce Jenner joke. Really guys? The Kardashians are annoying, but there's no excuse for "haha, trans people" to still be a punchline in 20-damn-15. Cut the lady some slack.

To be fair, Bruce Jenner went from being an Olympic hero to reality show nutcase trophy husband long before He became a Her. Anyone who marries into the Kardashian family deserves a lifetime of derision, no matter her gender identity.

• Like 2

Bruce Jenner has never publicly stated that he is transgender or in the process of transitioning. Any such assertions are the product of bullshit tabloid speculation and/or people simply being cruel.

• Like 2

maybe the croc got so big because betty white was feeding it cows full of growth hormones. i mean she was probably an organic farmer at first but as the croc kept coming back for more and more feedings she couldnt keep up so she turned to chemicals to grow her cows faster .. i mean im not a cow scientist or anything ...im sure Werner Hertzog could have explained it better

That's a really good point, June.

• Like 12

Sorry for posting so much, but I just watched this and it's a funny coincidence (and fits with what some users from the UK said earlier about "a mental"):

I'm also really excited for Face/Off and for Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans with Werner Herzog (PFT). How about Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe with Jesse Ventura (James Adomian)?

Or why not The Happening with Mark Wahlberg (DVK)??

• Like 1

Question about Lake Placid - early in the movie, they are trying to decide how the croc got to the lake. One character says it must have come from the ocean. Another character says that a croc can't survive in saltwater, a fact which is never again addressed. So, are we to think that the croc took the redeye from Asia in order to avoid the ocean, then navigated all the lakes and rivers throughout the U.S. to get to Maine? And, if so, was he motivated by Betty White's free cow dinners?

Also, note to Jason: I'm in a book club, and we prefer Pinot Noir to Chardonnay. Just sayin.... B)

Question about Lake Placid - early in the movie, they are trying to decide how the croc got to the lake. One character says it must have come from the ocean. Another character says that a croc can't survive in saltwater, a fact which is never again addressed. So, are we to think that the croc took the redeye from Asia in order to avoid the ocean, then navigated all the lakes and rivers throughout the U.S. to get to Maine? And, if so, was he motivated by Betty White's free cow dinners?

Also, note to Jason: I'm in a book club, and we prefer Pinot Noir to Chardonnay. Just sayin.... B)

Well, it was the Sheriff that said they can't survive in salt water. Hector said that kind of information is concealed in things called books which he may not have heard of, implying that that isn't actually the case.

And so according to my sources (wikipedia), the crocodile in the movie is a saltwater crocodile known for traveling vast distances on the ocean.

It is also a type of crocodile which does spend most its time in the water, only really coming out of the water to bask in the sun, which is backed up by the behavior of it in the movie and again goes to the point they made about how it could have been helped by adding signs. (such as this, which is the wikipedia approved method of dealing with these types of crocodiles:

474px-Kakadu_2430.jpg)

• Like 2

I'm so glad that Paul brought up Bridget Fonda's parents possibly being killed by crocodiles. She seemed so adamantly against the wilderness but possibly secretly knowledgeable and I thought there might be more to it... I hoped there was going to be some kind of Sharknado-style revelation that someone she loved was eaten by a crocodile. But no, she was just boring and whiny as hell.

Ooh! Also, this marks the second movie in the HDTGM catalog that features Mariska Hargitay in just a brief cameo; the second being THE LOVE GURU.

At one point Brendan Gleeson tells Betty White she's now under house arrest. Can a sheriff just decide that? Doesn't a judge have to make that ruling?

Also, regarding the discussed line, "if you call me mam one more time I'll sue you, and with today's laws it's possible," I don't think anyone mentioned that Gleeson immediately responded, "she's good." There was no acting or inflection. He just said the words "she's good."

Looking at the eaten cow inventory, it is even more implausible once it is revealed that there are two crocs in the lake.I myself never had a problem with the movie but it has been a while since I've seen it so I don't know if it holds up or not. Also, if you want to see some over the top Pullman, watch Surveillance directed by David Lynch's daughter, the third act he goes completely off the wall.

• Like 1

This podcast was great but Mitch Hedberg still has the best Reese's joke (around 1:20)

Candy Bars - Mitch Hedberg:

@30m40s, WHY IS THERE SO MUCH STEAM COMING OUT OF BRENDAN GLEESON'S DICK? How hot is his pee? Is it a really cold night? Sure doesn't seem like it. Brendan Gleeson, sup with your dick? Why your pee so hot?

• Like 1

As a Maine resident I must call attention to the fact that there is no way a crocodile would survive here.

All crocs are tropical and can't deal with the cold... Let alone the fact that Aroostook County (the setting) is THE MOST NORTHERN COUNTY IN THE STATE.

The average annual temperature is about 40 degrees, and under freezing for 4 straight months during the winter. The lake would be frozen for about half of the year.

Unless Betty White is keeping it nice and toasty in a special set up in a barn or something, there's no way it would live for years. It might make it through one summer if it arrived at the right time.

------

I listened a few days ago so I might have forgotten something, but here's my back story. Roll with me on this one...

So, if we're in this world where the croc could survive up there, how about the fact that they can live to be incredibly old? I'm talking up to 70-100 years old.

What if it followed her husband home after he was 'fishing' AKA fighting in the Pacific during WWII? It followed his ship all the way back to the U.S., through the Panama Canal and up the east coast. At the time of this movie there were still a couple naval bases in Maine.

Having completed his service he was discharged. He immediately went to his land in Aroostook and settled down. (I'd have to consult maps to be sure, but theoretically there should be a lake near enough to a river where the croc could follow the husband. Because he obviously took his own personal boat from the shipyard to his home.)

So, the croc also settles at this lake and lived for 50 years; becoming an ever-increasing burden on their lives and a constant, monstrous reminder of the atrocities of war. A manifestation of PTSD if you will.

• Like 1

Scanning this thread, I think I may be the only one, but was anyone puzzled by Gleeson's accent? At times it sounded like he was attempting for an American accent and failing, often even sounding Southern but at others it sounded like he gave up and just went with his natural Irish accent.

• Like 1

Correction/Omission:

You guys were so upset by the second crocodile, and I agree that it wasn't handled well, but it was necessary. They needed to explain how and why the were baby crocodiles. If there was no second crocodile, then you guys would be even more upset.

Also, you guys didn't talk about the staring contest between Oliver Platt and the crocodile. Why wasn't Platt eaten? More of a reason why the crocodile was the good guy.

At one point in the movie, Bill Pullman takes Oliver Platt to task and tells him that "despite all his fancy equipment" if he steps a toe out of line one more time he is out of there. Did I miss something? What exactly is this "fancy" equipment he's talking about? From what I saw, all Cyr was bringing to the table--besides lecherousness and an unhealthy obsession with reptiles--was a cheap-ish looking sonar device (which I am sure they could have picked up at a reasonable price at any decent sporting goods store), a couple of shovels, some rope, and a boom box. Is he referring to the helicopter? I mean, as far as helicopters go I guess it's pretty nice, but I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as "fancy."

This also begs the question: had Cyr not shown up, what was going to be their plan? Without sonar equipment, what were they going to do, just paddle around on canoes and just hope they ran into it?

• Like 1

Something else that has continued to bother me is Cyr's relationship with the female deputy. I may be alone on this, but I never got the feeling that she was all that into him. At best, it felt like he was firmly entrenched in the friend zone. So later, when they are going to Crocodile Cove, and she says, "Please! I'll have sex with you! Let's just get out of here!" and he replies, in all earnestness, "Darling, he's not going to hurt me" it thoroughly perplexed me.

It seems to me that her intention wasn't so much, "Let's get out of here so we can fuck, because damn it, I just care so much about you," but more "Hey guy, I think you are big, sweaty gross-o, but since I have absolutely no desire to be eaten by a weird, mega-crocodile today, I will, reluctantly, have sex with you. How's about it?"

With this as the intended meaning, it seems like you could have then written a million jokes with Cyr's reply that would have still kept him in character as a narcissistic, crocodile lover. Yet this self-proclaimed "comedy" horror film decided that this was the place where it was going to play it straight??

Seriously, am I just not getting it? It just doesn't feel right to me, and honestly, confuses and infuriates me. It would be like if someone were to sing "It's been a Hard Day's..." and then just stopped without singing, "Night." I am, however, more than willing to concede that the genius of David E. Kelley's script may just be too sophisticated and well beyond my churlish grasp of the material.

• Like 2

CORRECTIONS AND OMISSIONS:

Actually I'm not sure if this counts as a correction or omission, since it does not relate directly to the film. But it does relate to the lengthy conversation about REESES PIECES.

As amused as I was by Jason's adamance about the correct pronunciation of Reese's Pieces, despite it clearly being incorrect--I was even more amused when I was watching SNL on Saturday and heard Kate McKinnon say it using Jason's pronunciation. Here is a soundbite of her saying it in the sketch "Smart Home"

reeses pieces.wav

I just thought you needed to hear it.

Jer

EARWOLF would like to invite you all to a new podcast show.

2u76429.jpg

I want this to be a real show.

• Like 3

I can't believe no one in the audience proposed the alternate title "Croc of Shit." I kept waiting for it.

• Like 8

I believe Lake Placid is based off of an episode of the X-files. The episode is called "Quagmire" and aired on May 3rd, 1996 where Scully and Mulder go down to Georgia to investigate a "monster" that killed a biologist by a lake. After several death's (including Scully's pomeranian dog Queequeg) it is later discovered that it was a large alligator that was the culprit. However at the end of the episode we see a large dinosaur like creature pop out of the water. I believe David E Kelly saw this episode and decided to combine the dinosaur and gator (crocidle, alligators neither of them can drive amirite?) into a singular creature and then create characters that couldn't create chemistry even if Marie Curie was in the film. Thoughts?