🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 227 — Movie Theater Plug Life

Howard and Kulap welcome to the show rapper Kitty, who talks about the nerves of performing in front of her parents, jobs she had prior to breaking into music, and what it’s like to hear a top five list of her own songs. Then, after a heated discussion over which One Direction member should have left the group in place of Zayn, Howard extends an invitation to Kitty to join the show every week. Later, Kulap explains to Howard why many of his treasured collectables are really just things he needs to throw away. Lastly, as Kitty field’s questions from Chartists, Howard explains why Jaws is scarier than DreamWorks’ Shrek.

I've never tried Ableton but I'm curious about it. I use FL Studio to program beats and music. Been using it for a long time.

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME! I've been a huge fan since Okay Cupid, never thought she'd be on here.

Way better than that obnoxious YouTube rapper girl they had on the show a few months ago.

A+ booking! :)

But they have eerily similar voices, so I thought maybe they were just pulling a very elaborate prank.

• Like 1

I expected to be annoyed with her but was surprised. Pretty down to earth for someone so young with early success.

This was a really fun episode! Kitty fit in great with Howard and Kulap. Going to check out her new music.

Also, I'd like to hear Awkwafina as a guest on Whooch.

• Like 1

enjoying the episode so far, but I want to voice my opinion on the changed format to any important parties that might want to get a temperature read on the chartists impression. I was not a fan of this style... I think it makes total sense to feature a guest musician's music, specifically a not hugely famous musician, but I felt like this method took away from the normal makeup of the show.

My vote for how to best involve a guest's music would be to still conduct the music and movie charts as always, but during the tweet chart, play 5 of their songs under the reading of the questions and maybe have a quiet studio for a bit of each so that the listener can get a taste of the songs.

I'm assuming the music chart was the same as it has been for awhile, but that would surprise me because its felt like you guys have done some foreign and genre specific charts lately to detract from attacking the same 4-5 songs week after week (Which I do think is a good idea)

• Like 2

I liked the change to the music chart. It really makes sense when they have a musician on the show. It would be cool if they asked for requests from Chartists and did Top 5 Requests from Chartists. Also, there's lots of comedy on Spotify too. Whenever a comedian is on, they could do their top 5 jokes from Spotify.

• Like 2

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME! I've been a huge fan since Okay Cupid, never thought she'd be on here.

Way better than that obnoxious YouTube rapper girl they had on the show a few months ago.

A+ booking! :)

Nova Rockafeller? I came here to see exactly how people reacted to Kitty versus Nova. Kitty seems to be more worldly and genuinely interested in improving herself as a person, but this is all just conjecture. Nova just seemed more bombastic and nihilistic in comparison.

And let's be real; Kitty won us all over with her expert breakdown during the 1D impromptu forum.

• Like 1

@StanSitwell, as a Kitty fan I would have loved to hear her take on the Top 40 charts, but at the same time putting her music at the forefront of the 'cast is a great way to expose her work to an entirely new audience so I dug it.

Nova Rockafeller? I came here to see exactly how people reacted to Kitty versus Nova. Kitty seems to be more worldly and genuinely interested in improving herself as a person, but this is all just conjecture. Nova just seemed more bombastic and nihilistic in comparison.

And let's be real; Kitty won us all over with her expert breakdown during the 1D impromptu forum.

Yes. Putting Nova on seemed like a favor to the manager guy (who would have been a more interesting guest solo anyway) but more than that her schtick was just unbearable. "I'm an upper-middle class white girl but I need to make sure people are aware of my past suicidal ideations (however fictional they might have been) because things can be hard for upper-middle class white girls, too. Boo hoo!"

Yes. Putting Nova on seemed like a favor to the manager guy (who would have been a more interesting guest solo anyway) but more than that her schtick was just unbearable. "I'm an upper-middle class white girl but I need to make sure people are aware of my past suicidal ideations (however fictional they might have been) because things can be hard for upper-middle class white girls, too. Boo hoo!"

Yea you're right, having money can solve all your problems.

• Like 1

Oh man I didn't even get to the "UK rap" section before I posted. The most prevalent genre of Uk rap is called Grime and it's HUGE over there!

Yea you're right, having money can solve all your problems.

Ugh. Did you even listen to the episode? Fuck off.

• Like 1

Kitty gives me hope for the Young People of America. She seems very smart, confident, and unpretentious.

I also love that she had the Claire's Boutique job in common with Tracy Reardon.

• Like 5

enjoying the episode so far, but I want to voice my opinion on the changed format to any important parties that might want to get a temperature read on the chartists impression. I was not a fan of this style... I think it makes total sense to feature a guest musician's music, specifically a not hugely famous musician, but I felt like this method took away from the normal makeup of the show.

My vote for how to best involve a guest's music would be to still conduct the music and movie charts as always, but during the tweet chart, play 5 of their songs under the reading of the questions and maybe have a quiet studio for a bit of each so that the listener can get a taste of the songs.

I'm assuming the music chart was the same as it has been for awhile, but that would surprise me because its felt like you guys have done some foreign and genre specific charts lately to detract from attacking the same 4-5 songs week after week (Which I do think is a good idea)

I don't think they have musicians on often enough to worry about any change to the format really having a significant effect. To me, the biggest plus for this way of doing it is that it can be awkward for a musician (someone with more self-consciousness than Nova Rockefeller, at least) to have to comment on other music, especially if they're young and still trying to really break into the business. Of course, a lot of artists are too self-conscious to want to talk about their own stuff, so I guess neither is ideal.

Anyway, fun episode, Kitty seems really cool and the various validations of Howard's "finger on the pulse of youth culture" were hilarious.

• Like 2

I'm for anything that means we don't have to hear the same music every week. This was a nice changeup. There are so many music charts they could do! Hell they could do the top 5 from thirty years ago. One disappointing aspect of playing the guest's music- Howard can't shit on it! That's half my Who Charted entertainment!

I also thought Kitty was a wonderful guest. Guests like her allow us middle aged folks to keep a finger on the youth culture, ya know.

• Like 2

I've never tried Ableton but I'm curious about it. I use FL Studio to program beats and music. Been using it for a long time.

Greetings, Loopist

• Like 1

I'm for anything that means we don't have to hear the same music every week. This was a nice changeup. There are so many music charts they could do! Hell they could do the top 5 from thirty years ago. One disappointing aspect of playing the guest's music- Howard can't shit on it! That's half my Who Charted entertainment!

I also thought Kitty was a wonderful guest. Guests like her allow us middle aged folks to keep a finger on the youth culture, ya know.

I am totally with you about liking hearing howard and company shitting on pop songs. That's why I didn't like this format, because the music chart didn't have many laughs that I remember. Even when it is the same 5 songs we've heard before, sometimes them beating a viewpoint into the ground is funny, or Howard comes up with a new reason why Taylor Swifts afternoon queef is more musically enjoyable than a Bruno Mars/Mark Ronson collabo

While the campaign itself is shitty, you can't blame them for what gets traction and what doesn't. Any politically charged campaign will alienate half of their supporter base, so I can't blame them for keeping it up. If they didn't, then they lose most conservative users and contributors.

My issue with them - and I may have misheard this via WC - is that users can keep the money even if they don't reach their goal. That's more egregious to me, honestly.

My issue with them - and I may have misheard this via WC - is that users can keep the money even if they don't reach their goal. That's more egregious to me, honestly.

That was IndieGoGo's key market differentiator at a time when only Kickstarter existed. On Kickstarter, if you raise $74,000 but your target is $75,000, your campaign fails and you get nothing despite the almost imperceptible real-world difference.

• Like 1