🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jarrycanada

Beowulf (1999)

Watching it on Netflix and had to suggest it. I'm only 10 minutes in...

all bets are off once he reply's, will "thomas_lockhart" make it to the end of this film! I'll give him 45min mark.

for the record, the film is 95mins long.

I so forgot about that Christopher Lambert laugh clip, that brings a warm smile to my face each and every time I watch it. I'll have to save that for bad days to cheer me up.

• Like 1

I made it all the way through...I think. Kinda blacked out for a little bit.

ya that's a long ass movie isn't it.

I just watched this (clearly I am on a Christopher Lambert kick with this and Highlander 3) and all I have to say is What.the.fuck?!?! This is perfect HDTGM fodder (more Christopher Lambert!)

• I got the sense that the filmmakers seemed to think that there was something of a story, but it seemed to have nothing to do with Beowulf outside of just borrowing names.
  • I'm really not sure what is going on with the outer castle seige.
  • Aesthetically this movie is like 90% medieval, 10% futuristic. If Steampunk has a relative that is less Victorian and more medieval, this film is the embodiment of it. Some of the weapons look ridiculously impractical (specifically the giant pizza cutters)
  • This seems like a mish mash of other movies. It's part Predator, part Army of Darkness, part In The Name of the King and part Rhona Mitra's cleavage
  • The best thing about the movie by far is the 90s industrial/electronic soundtrack
  • The final fight scene has some pretty bad CGI, it looks like something from the Lawnmower Man.

This one is both mystifying and incomprehensible, all the while featuring Christopher Lambert being a squinty, low-voiced knight of sorts. I got this once (thankfully with at least one other movie) for a movie night with two buddies, and IIRC we finished it despite being baffled by the experience. A terrible, terrible movie. This one is a hot to lukewarm mess, but the strange of it should do. No real connection to the myth, btw.

edit: huh, Rhona Mitra was in that one?

Edited by IJoinedJustForThis

Sign in to follow this