🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 3 - A Secret Society

Paul F. Tompkins once again welcomes you all to Spontaneanation, and this week he is joined by special guest Jason Ritter of Gravity Falls and HBO’s Girls! They chat about Kurt Cobain being Jason’s hero growing up, how reading a Choose Your Own Adventure book can be stressful, and believing that staring at candles for a long enough time can make you go blind. Paul is then joined by improvisers Craig Cackowski, Amanda Lund and Chris Tallman, to improvise a story set in a secret society meeting. As always, the incredible Eban Schletter scores it all on piano. It’s a real Choose Your Own Adventure for your ears!

SAVE THESE DATES: SATURDAY, JUNE 6TH, Paul will record a new standup special at the historic Palace Theatre in Downtown L.A. Ticket info soon!

The first LIVE Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins with special guests is on May 2nd at Largo at the Coronet! Get tickets at www.largo-la.com!

Eban deserves an award for seamlessly transitioning to "All Apologies" when Father confesses to being a rock star who faked his own death.

• Like 10

This is the first show where I actually get excited at the prospect of an ad break. RIP Dolores

• Like 1

I appreciate that both this podcast and CBB drops on Monday mornings, it really brightens up the beginning of the work week for me, as cliche as that complaint sounds.

• Like 4

Thought: Shouldn't the plug insertion (heh heh) have used the "flashforward/flashback" SFX rather than the "jump cut?"

I appreciate that both this podcast and CBB drops on Monday mornings, it really brightens up the beginning of the work week for me, as cliche as that complaint sounds.

Hah, for me it has made Mondays even harder, SO many of my "immediate-listen" worthy comedy podcasts already come out Mondays (CBB here on Earwolf; Jordan Jesse Go, My Brother My Brother and Me and Stop Podcasting Yourself over on Maximum Fun; Indoor Kids on Nerdist), adding another makes it even more of a traffic jam (I like being part of the drop-day internet conversation about most of these, so artificially spreading them out through the week isn't ideal)...

Don't get me wrong, there are worse problems to have than all that amazing free content.

• Like 2

Really glad that the transition effects thing was explain because it is much funnier knowing how they are caught off guard by a quick flashback

• Like 1

Wish Chris Tallman was on more Earwolf stuff. One of the best. His two episodes with Patton on CBB are hilarious (as well as Andy Daly's podcast project).

• Like 2

This episode is so funny, while laughing I nearly choked on my raw hoagie dough and light turkey.

• Like 1

We got very close to some #ClassicJarles for a minute there.

Paul's delight at Jason's teen angst was great.

• Like 4

Wish Chris Tallman was on more Earwolf stuff. One of the best. His two episodes with Patton on CBB are hilarious (as well as Andy Daly's podcast project).

Every time I see him I can't help but think of Hugh Laurie slicing him up on that ep of House.

Or is my Reference-O-Meter off? Just bought this damn thing too...

The way Jason Ritter describes reading choose-your-own-adventure books is EXACTLY how I did it too. I think that makes us bros now.

• Like 6

I hope some of PFT's ad characters get promoted to actual characters. I would definoitely like to hear the Underwear sprite meet Ho-Ho. Pam the terrible mom was also wonderful.

Also, to the Earwolf staff, thank you for updating Craig Cackowski's picture! He's a treasure and deserves better than looking like a gassy Paul Reiser having an allergic reaction.

• Like 3

is anyone else reminded of venture bros when he does the ads? got a hint of doctor girlfriend heh

• Like 1

The way Jason Ritter describes reading choose-your-own-adventure books is EXACTLY how I did it too. I think that makes us bros now.

Oh yeah, well I was also on a family vacation when Kurt Cobain died! [PS, imagine this being said in the same tone of voice as Jason reacting to other people talking about Kurt Cobain dying.]

• Like 1

I laughed so hard at how angrily Pam said "Arigato" when the waiter explained that it was Virginia Woolf not Sylvia Plath who walked into the ocean with rocks in her pockets...

• Like 3

Best episode yet. I knew I was in for a treat when the monologue had me laughing about 3 minutes in. The interview with Jason Ritter was really funny and gelled nicely into the improv... I wonder how many people on this show will end up talking about how they wore the same outfit every day as kids? Very strange through line so far.

Also I've only ever read one choose-your-own-adventure book, and it was an Animorphs book that I picked up probably around fifth grade. If I remember correctly the first choice you make is basically which mission you go on, so you have two main branches of the story with a few endings for each one, and the mission I chose had no successful endings, just different ways all the characters died. I really let Jake and co. down, man.

• Like 3

Seriously considering changing my forum name to Under-Garment Sprite, squier!

(Just noticed that I also now apparently am an Advanced Member! And my parents thought I'd never amount to anything! Wahee! Wahey!)

• Like 1

I was so hoping this would become a "Choose your own Adventure" podcast, and PFT would be like, "Fast Forward to 51:37 to join the secret society, or Fast Forward to 56:22 to throw a pigeon at that guy's face", lol.

If Earwolf wanted to make a T-Shirt with a "Pigeon & Friends" logo on that, I think I'd have to buy at least 2 from the store, btw.

yeah that resonated heavily with me. I was very obsessive with doing that, if you don't leave your fingers in - you could die and have to start over!