🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 203 — Trauma

Welcome back to another week in the hatch! Kyle starts off the show with a chat about his experience at nam yoga. Then, comedian Whitney Cummings comes on the show to talk about meditation, EMDR, migraines, dog rescue, fame, addiction, and abandonment. David closes out the show by asking Whitney a series of questions and reading some mail.

• Like 1

Great episode! Adorable Tig wig just wants to keep bees & watch birds. Only complaint - There was a lot of swearing for a Christian podcast. (Kyle + Whitney 4 eva)

Wow, Whitney is high energy! Felt like I was riding a bull anytime she spoke. Nice person.

The EMF elimination threw me. I don't think you can avoid EMF by disconnecting your wifi. Wouldn't you have to kill the power to your living space, in order to decrease that field?

It's episodes like this that make me sooooo glad I don't live in California. EMF elimination...it must be nice to not ever have anything to worry about.

• Like 9

Great Ep. Was on the same page as Whitney until the whole EMF thing and calling soy milk "poison". Went to crazy pseudoscience.

• Like 4

Great Ep. Was on the same page as Whitney until the whole EMF thing and calling soy milk "poison". Went to crazy pseudoscience.

If cooking with olive oil gives me cancer when I'm 80, I'll take that over heart disease when I'm 60.

Anyway, this was really good. I've never been a fan of Whitney's work, but she's always cool when I hear her on podcasts. She also seems pretty humble, not so much because she explicitly downplays her success, but because she's willing to be so candid and just seems genuine.

Pound blessed.

• Like 1

I have to say, although I get that Whitney wants to avoid talking smack about other people, her prepared answers sound exactly like that - prepared answers. Worse, they sound like obvious therapy-speak, which makes them sound insincere.

I'm with David - sometimes it's just good fun to complain about someone (up to a degree, ofcourse), and having someone say something like "he/she must be in a lot of pain" would come off as a bit ridiculous to me.

EMFs have been shown to have very weak association with some adverse health effects. But it's so minimal it's not worth worrying about. There is no connection to any form of adult cancer. There are about a million things in life more dangerous, including driving cars, walking down the street, etc. Here's an impartial source (i.e., not a person who gets paid to minimize EMFs): http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/emf/

• Like 1

Whitney and Ross Jeffries are two different types of unsettling. I feel like I need a shower after both. I still would rather hang around Whitney though.

• Like 2

The Molly Ringwald Curse is in full effect. It's hard to top her appearance, so now things are just getting weird.

For my 2 cents:

My wife and I enjoyed Whitney Cummings on Chelsea Lately. She made for a lively foil and was an attractive ingredient to the round table. Using her own word, I found Whitney 'humanized' on PB humorously discussing trauma and applying it to her own life in recovery. It did feel like the networks were jamming her (and a false image) down our throats for a minute there - without any context as to why we should or would be interested.

Like the Greg Behrendt interview, Professor Blastoff as an unregulated forum has given me much more insight on the guest. By the end of the episode, I felt contented by new acceptance and appreciation for Whitney. I wasn't sure if she could be compelling for more than an E! Entertainment Television segment, but she was. I feel like I should revisit her standup with new ears. ***

It's easy to pick someone apart - especially when they have a fixed image in your mind and they attempt to step out of that comfort zone leaving themselves vulnerable. Perhaps the EMF bag (or any one of her coping mechanisms) seems kooky, but it didn't hit a nerve with me. It's not my issue.

We can all find old TV commercials on Youtube promoting "the cigarette your doctor smokes" and other abandoned attitudes.

I feel more judgmental of people incorrectly using the word 'literally', or adults eating at McDonald's, or selfish and unsafe driving.

*** Like Tig, I don't watch TV shows. Perhaps it is because we are the same age, or perhaps I have seen a lot of TV in my life and find it boring. Just the other night, my wife and I were having wine and trying to find something to watch. Ugh. We settled on a charming documentary about Agatha Christie's life.

This is not an attack on people who do watch TV - just me sharing.

• Like 2

I must admit that I didn’t know much about Whitney before this podcast, but I had a vague dislike for her (totally unfair) that I couldn’t explain. Maybe it’s because the media and people on the Internet love to slam her, saying she isn’t talented enough to justify the amount success she’s achieved. Who died and made anyone the ultimate judge of talent? And who gets to decide who “deserves” to be successful? I’m glad I’ve stopped listening to the mean girls who told me not to like her.

I had a chance to see some of the real Whitney on this ep. She’s funny, quirky, humble, and weird, which I like. The EMF stuff was crazy, but I chalk that up to living in California and searching for healing.

And I loved David being the voice of reason. “You do breathe the air in Los Angeles, don’t you?” “We’re all going to die eventually, right?” “Kyle and Whitney might rip the EMF bag.”

• Like 4

I have nothing to add, PureJosie, except that success is rarely a straight line. Are there more/less talented people who are successful? Deserved restaurants that miss the mark? Well intentioned businesses that fail? Yes x3.

I like to say "Someone has to win the Superbowl. Someone has to win Best Picture. Someone has to have the #1 song." Is it always the best team/movie/song? No, but they never eliminate those designations or awards because they can't find a worthy candidate. So I guess I'm saying never judge yourself or your likes/dislikes based on what mean girls say. :)

I did live in Los Angeles for many years and witnessed a lot of (for lack of a better and more efficient word) "strange" behavior: some good/productive, some bad/degenerative, and some ineffectual and mindless.

And while the person who ostentatiously displays their issues and is seemingly involved in constant accidents is a person I run from, I don't feel contempt toward them for wanting to better their health/life. Although, it is an easy leap to make (And I'm not at all saying you are contemptous, btw).

I suppose I take issue with this so-called middle America view of wacky Californians and their wacky oxygen bars and wacky Whole Foods. More often than not, these dismissive people are obese, dysfunctional, not smart, not evolving - and just consume what ever dogma is put in front of them.

(Boy! That got long!)

Also had a vague dislike for Whitney. Her willingness to share is commendable.

But when it comes to corrupt italian olive oil, screw it, switch to portuguese or spanish olive oil!

• Like 1

I remember not digging her standup and then a few months later seeing constant promos/billboards with her face everywhere for her show that looked terrible. I wouldn't say I hated her but I just wasn't a huge fan and for a few months when her sitcom started (2012?) her presence was inescapable and that breeds contempt, I guess.

But I liked her a lot on this ep - she got a little wacky towards the end with the olive oil/wifi radiation stuff, but the rest was fascinating. Her self awareness and drive for self improvement are commendable. She shared some heavy stuff about her past and unflattering truths about her personality without sounding all ... Marc Maron-y. Very straightforward, non-judgmental and funny.