🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PJ1989

The Holy Mountain (1973)

Please do The Holy Mountain one of the most bizarre films ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8oaeHsnc

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071615/

Financed by an ex-Beatle (John Lennon) and subsequently produced and stashed for decades by the band's ex-manager (Allen Klein), Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain is a high-psychedelic, early '70s mind-bender extraordinaire. Or is it just pretentious codswallop?

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2007/02/02/the_holy_mountain_period_relic.html

• Like 1

This would be perfect for "James Lipton Presents: How Did This Get Made?"

• Like 1

This would be perfect for "James Lipton Presents: How Did This Get Made?"

20ztu79.jpg

Seeing that I already have this in my photoshop collection, why not..

cat & beard would not be happy that you guys are picking on this film. But he never shows up here anymore so.

I tried to watch this once, it's batch shit crazy. I got the same feeling, I once had. when I attempted to watch a planetarium version of pink floyd's the wall. what kind of drugs am I missing here to enjoy this.

• Like 1

in this film, someone's shit literally gets turned into gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_XVyMZlF8

say what you will about how bizarre this movie is, but it is shot beautifully and the set design is fucking brilliant... especially for how little was spent making it. I love Jodorowsky, but I think it might be a bit too surreal for this podcast. it makes Zardoz look like The Tourist.

• Like 2

in this film, someone's shit literally gets turned into gold.

say what you will about how bizarre this movie is, but it is shot beautifully and the set design is fucking brilliant... especially for how little was spent making it. I love Jodorowsky, but I think it might be a bit too surreal for this podcast. it makes Zardoz look like The Tourist.

I agree, it's a bizarre movie on purpose and if you don't get it, you don't get it. Zardoz was that way. you either get it or don't. doesn't mean it's bad, doesn't mean it's good. Guess that's why they call it a cult movie.

• Like 1

I watch this film more as a series of paintings and don't try to take any more meaning in it than enjoying the visuals. Of course I'm the type of person that if someone describes a piece of music or a movie as "really weird" my ears perk up and want to check it out more.

• Like 2

I find this to be an intriguing film, certainly, as is the exact opposite of something like Lake Placid. With Holy Mountain, pretty much everything on screen is exactly what Alejandro Jodorowsky wanted. Like Lando and jerrycanada said, this film is... on purpose and a perfect example of a cult movie. I watched it once and that was enough, haha. Lake Placid, on the other hand, is the result of everyone involved giving exactly zero fucks but somehow having the financing to make a movie. I think it would be interesting to hear Jason and June debate over the merits of this monument to cinematic hubris, but I would never call it "bad."

• Like 1

I watch this film more as a series of paintings and don't try to take any more meaning in it than enjoying the visuals. Of course I'm the type of person that if someone describes a piece of music or a movie as "really weird" my ears perk up and want to check it out more.

A series of paintings that are made by placing paint on a persons ass and having them sit on a canvas. :D

It happens in this movie people!

Sure, this might be too surreal for the podcast, but it also might be a fun change of pace? Truly the most insane movie I've ever seen-- I watched it three times in 48 hours because i just couldn't wrap my head around it. The second viewing I decided to get high-- big mistake, LOL. it was too much. Def watch it sober and just go along for the ride.

Fun Fact: the main character was supposed to be played by George Harrison of the Beatles but he didn't want to do the anus-washing scene. Apparently this was a deal breaker for the director as he thought the anus-washing scene was crucial to the film, so he went with a unknown actor.

Sign in to follow this