🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
mofo83

Phantasm (1979)

The movie Phantasm would make a GREAT (seriously, great) HDTGM episode. In fact, I can think of no other movie that I've seen that fits the criteria for a good HDTGM show better than this movie.

(spoilers below)

Not only is the plot totally nonsensical and random, with LOTS and lots of WTF!!! moments, but the acting and dialogue are also terrible.

For example, one exchange:

Mike: I know you're not going to believe this, but these things were here, right in the garage, and they were going to get me!

Jody: Aww, give me a break, would you?

Mike: They were jumping on the car and making these weird sounds!

Jody: You're sure it wasn't that retarded kid, Timmy, up the street?

Additional ridiculous elements: a pony-tailed ice-cream man named Reggie, a planet filled with dwarf zombies, a creepy "Tall Man" who can turn into a woman for no apparent reason, a McGuyver-style bomb used to break through a paper-thin bedroom door, instead of trying to kill the Tall Man they trap him in an abandoned mine shaft, and a final plot twist (it was all a dream!) that is totally, 100% unnecessary.

Plus, there's the cult-infamous “sphere-killing" scene! Imagine a very poorly made chrome juicer flying through the air, drilling into some poor guys face and shooting a stream of blood all over the place.

It's great, and awful. Perfect for HDTGM.

I admit that this movie makes very little sense, but they do a phenomenal job of establishing a creepy atmosphere that carries the movie entirely.

• Like 2

I agree, there are definitely some redeeming qualities and some very memorable scenes.

There are just so many "WTF!!!!" moments that it ends up feeling really random, overall.

Which, again, to me means it is a great HDTGM candidate!

I honestly only made this account to reaffirm that this movie or any of the sequels needs to be on HDTGM! So bad it’s good is an understatement. 

Wait, I was always under the impression that this was a good movie. Have I been watching it wrong this whole time?

9 hours ago, muttnik said:

Wait, I was always under the impression that this was a good movie. Have I been watching it wrong this whole time?

I always liked it, as others note above it is a straight up bonkers movie. I feel like the underwhelming sequels drag the net quality-perception of the franchise down, as so often happens with horror films (and others, but especially horror).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I always liked it, as others note above it is a straight up bonkers movie. I feel like the underwhelming sequels drag the net quality-perception of the franchise down, as so often happens with horror films (and others, but especially horror).

True, it is ten kinds of crazy, I've just never seen/heard it referred to as a 'so bad it's good' movie, but maybe it is. It was presented to me as a child alongside other weird horror movies that I've also never heard anyone consider HDTGM worthy, though maybe they are too. It's just strange, like finding out the moon is made of cheese.  😂

I agree though, the sequels are not so great.

• Like 1

It would make an excellent episode whatever your opinion of it. The sequels would as well, since they are still balls-to-the-wall crazy even if they’re not as good.

• Like 1

Also, Phantasm and ALL of its sequels are in a Joe Bob Briggs marathon that’s streaming on Shudder.

• Like 1

I love when HDTGM does any horror movie. This movie has the right mix of weird and entertaining, perfect for the podcast. I want, no need, to hear them talk about The Lady in Lavender.

Sign in to follow this