🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 5 - Mars Base 3

Paul F. Tompkins sends his greetings from Spontaneanation, the most magical of places, and this week he is joined by special guest Dave Foley of The Kids in the Hall! They chat about having to pretend to have an allegiance to KISS at the age of 13, Frank Zappa and Alice Cooper never having the “gross out contest,” and K-Tel Compilation album commercials. Paul is then joined by improvisers Mark Gagliardi, Marc Evan Jackson and Amanda Lund, to improvise a story set on Mars Base 3. As always, the tremendous Eban Schletter scores it all on piano. It will be a traditional story that is out of this world, because it will be on a completely different planet!

People of Earth: The first LIVE Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins with special guests is on May 2nd at Largo at the Coronet! Get tickets at www.largo-la.com!

I'm 35 minutes in and there's just something magical about listening to Jackson and Gags bickering on G'Loot Practaw Mars.

• Like 8

I regret to say I'll miss the upcoming live show as I will be watching the SNL rerun that evening.

• Like 7

I don't care if it's hitting the nail directly on the head, Eban Schletter playing the Hulk Theme while they talked about the transient German shepherd made my day.

• Like 11

The Littlest Hobo was one of my favorite shows as a kid, and they filmed several episodes in and around my hometown. Here's the intro, and at the 40 second mark you can see a hint about his dark past:

This was another great episode, and if I knew Marc Evan Jackson was going to be a regular citizen of Spontaneanation then I would've been even more excited for the show. All of the guests have been great so far but I hope for much more from the Workjuice gang.

• Like 2

The words "traditional" and "non-traditional" have ceased to have any meaning to me. They are just sounds.

• Like 5

Wow, the "F" in PFT suddenly stands for "F-bomb," heard more of them in 5 eps than I feel like I have in years of following Paul! Interesting hearing Paul in this more casual setting...

:EDIT: Found this, which I vaguely remembered reading, and it makes sense in the context of more free-form improv versus his more written or established-character-based stuff:

Even if people are laughing at something, I know when I could have done it better. An example is when I start a new bit, when I'm working on a new thing and it's the first time I'm doing it in front of an audience, I will tend to swear more than I ever do onstage because I'm filling in the idea very conversationally and I swear occasionally in life when I'm talking to people. . .

(source)

• Like 3

I listened to this during my morning commute and had to clap a hand over my mouth to keep from cackling out loud during the wipe-transition wars.

Also, I half expected Jimmy Pardo to bust through the door during Dave and PFT's uncertain recap of the members of KISS.

• Like 1

Not English, but a bit of a student of board game history, so: Cluedo was actually the original name; it was called Clue when brought over to North America because the Pachisi variant "Ludo," upon which "Cluedo" is a pun, isn't well known this side of the pond.

And now it's said and nobody else ever needs to.

• Like 4

I'm 35 minutes in and there's just something magical about listening to Jackson and Gags bickering on G'Loot Practaw Mars.

Really is, felt like the others were fishing a few times at the top for an "I'm from Earth..."

• Like 2

No one delivers one or two-word responses like Marc Evan Jackson. This is the second week in a row he's just stolen the show for me.

His delivery on "Science" and "Madness personified" made me bust out laughing in my quiet office.

• Like 6

I grew up a huuuuuuuuuuuge KISS fan. I probably would have wanted to have dinner with KISS when I was 13, but bare in mind, I was 13 in 1997, and the then-current (aka the reunited original) members of KISS more than likely would not want to have dinner with each other. I prefer the non-makeup era of the band anyway. Love me some Bruce Kulick. What the hell was my point?

Damn good ep! Love Dave Foley.

Not English, but a bit of a student of board game history, so: Cluedo was actually the original name; it was called Clue when brought over to North America because the Pachisi variant "Ludo," upon which "Cluedo" is a pun, isn't well known this side of the pond.

I just want to quickly reiterate: "Cluedo" was actually the original name of the board game, but when it came to North America they renamed it to "Clue" because the pun that the name "Cluedo" is based on wouldn't make sense to the majority of us. If a few more people can explain this in the thread I think it will really help clarify the point.

His delivery on "Science" and "Madness personified" made me bust out laughing in my quiet office.

"Madness personified" was probably my biggest laugh from this episode too, it was perfect. That and the passive-aggressive transition-fighting and the transition that caused a temporal paradox.

• Like 2

Good timing on the Littlest Hobo discussion given that this just came out - http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/an-oral-history-of-the-littlest-hobo-canadas-greatest-tv-show-144?utm_source=vicefbca

As someone mentioned last week, I'm really liking the recurring cast of improvisers that Paul is using. It's fun getting to know a performer more quickly than if they only appear on CBB or I4H every few months.

• Like 1

I FUCKING GODDAMN LOVE IT SO FUCKING GODDAMN MUCH!!!

Oh by the way

Paul Stanley - Starchild

Gene Simmons - Demon

Ace Frehley - Spaceman (probably where the confusion lied, since stars are in space and all)

Peter Criss - Catman

Eric Carr - Fox

Vinnie Vincent - Ankh Warrior (whatever that means)

Mark St. John and Bruce Kulick joined the band during the non-makeup era, so they're just dudes. Eric Singer joined late in that era, left during the reunion, then rejoined as the new Catman. And Tommy Thayer is the new Spaceman.

"Leave it to me Starchild. I'll bend these beams with my mind."

[media='']

[/media]

The guys at How Did This Get Made ought to tackle this movie sometime.

• Like 5

"Leave it to me Starchild. I'll bend these beams with my mind."

Amazing. He says it SO casually that it's even funnier than the cartoonish (even more than their actual cartoonishness, I mean) impression of it.

• Like 2

Amazing. He says it SO casually that it's even funnier than the cartoonish (even more than their actual cartoonishness, I mean) impression of it.

According to the interesting wiki, Peter Criss' voice was overdubbed by a cartoon voice actor.

"In the first draft of the script, Frehley was described as "monosyllabic and super-friendly. Communicating largely through gestures and sounds, Ace might be best described as an other-galactic Harpo Marx."[4] Upon learning of his lack of dialogue, Frehley threatened to leave the project — soon after, lines were written for him.[1]

The band, none of whom had any prior acting experience, had difficulty adjusting to the demands of filming. Frehley and Criss, in particular, became increasingly frustrated with the long periods of downtime normally associated with movie-making. They were both also dealing with increasing levels of substance abuse.

Criss' dialogue in the film had to be over-dubbed by well-known voice actor Michael Bell[5] (who had worked with producer Joseph Barbera on a number of past projects), as he refused to participate in post-production. The only time Criss' actual voice is heard in the movie is during an acoustic performance of "Beth." (Criss denies this story, stating that he "went to all the looping.")"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_Meets_the_Phantom_of_the_Park

"Initiating opening sequence," "30 Sols," "EVAs"

Guys, Marc Evan Jackson is actually an astronaut.

• Like 2

Marc doing the multiple interruption cut to's at the begining was really funny.

Cluedo was actually the original name; it was called Clue when brought over to North America because the Pachisi variant "Ludo," upon which "Cluedo" is a pun, isn't well known this side of the pond.

That's dumb.

• Like 1

I feel bad for thinking this when I first saw the guest list, but I saw Dave Foley and thought "Huh. Is he still funny?"

Yes, yes he is. He is still delightful. Thank you for letting me know that, Paul.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this