🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
paintball2

The Warriors

I apologize in advance if this thread already exists. A search of the forum did not reveal a relevant topic. My recommendation is the quintessentially 80s (although debuting in February 1973) masterpiece The Warriors. While the movie speaks for itself as to why it merits recommendation, I will highlight

. About half-way through the movie, James Remar's character encounters a woman on a park bench. Despite the woman being DTF, that is not enough for Dexter's Dad; he feels compelled to force himself on her until she cuffs him to the bench and blows her whistle. It might be the most absurd moment in a movie that is non-stop insanity.
  • Like 1

The woman was an undercover cop that was part of a sting operation. Also, if you want real insanity from The Warriors, read the book it was based on which has the gang being made up of young teens rather than adults, who proceed to gang rape the Mercy character, kill random people, and other crazy shit.

Sorry your recommendation didn't get much traction, but I would say the best/worst part is that this "fight" movie has three-ish fights and the first one doesn't happen until halfway through the movie runtime.

Why don't they just steal a car? The streets of New York were essentially deserted, there's not even any traffic, could be home in no time.

Also, why are the streets deserted? It's like the only people left alive in the city are a few gang members, some cops, a single news vendor and some kids at a prom.

In the fight with the Dexys Midnight Runners gang in the bathroom, no less than 3 baseball bats are shattered when swung against somebody's stomach... Like hitting a sink and mirror and wall are nothing, but the rock hard abs of a guy on roller skates, that's too much for an item which has been designed to with the sole purpose of hitting something very hard.

And of course, what happened to the bullet at the end? Gun pointed right at Swan, trigger was pulled, gun was fired, but it's like the gun gave up because it knew the guys arm had been hit with a knife. Was it loaded with blanks? (maybe the guy was gonna play a little prank on him?) Or were they larping with an atomic clock style rule set and since the knife hit before the gun fired, it didn't count as the enemy had already been defeated?

Also on the subject of the undercover woman in the park...so the plan is that she blows her whistle and her backup swoops in and takes care of any murderous rapist who would be in the process of assaulting her...you know, eventually...when they get time. I mean haste makes waste, no rush, just take your time to do the swooping properly.

The sting in the park was quick though after she blew her whistle, like there were a couple cars hiding in the background waiting, plus she did handcuff him to the bench and got out of his reach as she blew the whistle. From what I remember the movie was set in sort of an alternate dystopia where gangs ran roughshod over the night and it was said in the opening speech from Cyrus that gangs outman the cops something like 3 to 1 so it would make sense that there might be a curfew for regular citizens to get off the street and out of danger. Also with the Voice on the radio giving constant updates in the gang war it would make sense for people to stay away from the streets at night, hence the partiers that get on the subway and realize that the Warriors are there with them and quickly get off at the next stop.

Its a great movie since the lead in this movie is also the lead in Xanadu. Yeah, thats right. Michael Beck plays Swan in this movie and Sonny Malone in Xanadu. The chief from Carmen Sandiego is the radio DJ. Axel is played by James Remar, who went on to play Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation among some good movies, 48 hrs.

This movie is one of the best classics. It is extremely dated and it looks like a young Vince McMahon decided he would write the parts about what gimmick to give to each group.

Its a great movie since the lead in this movie is also the lead in Xanadu. Yeah, thats right. Michael Beck plays Swan in this movie and Sonny Malone in Xanadu.

He later said:

The Warriors opened a lot of doors in film, for me, which Xanadu then closed.

This movie belongs on thank God it got made. Your dam right...

It's got some great one-liners like Warriors come out and play.

It's an 80s classic.

Back in the simple days when gangs didn't have bikes ,creepy cars, just Black leather vests, and the weapon of choice switchblade knife. You remember that don't you.?. Ohh that's because it never happened.

Sign in to follow this