đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
DeathToMikeyBay

The signs of a bad movie list

This is another instance of this working well but I do think this trailer sparked a movement of using melancholy covers (usually more melancholy when performed by children).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB95KLmpLR4

I HATE "stripped back" covers as they call them. So having so many movie trailers using them is horrible.

In fact, to carry on the trailer talk, I fucking hate it when movie trailers use songs that aren't in the movie itself.

Case in point, the Stallone movie, Bullet to the Head. The trailer has the song "Killers" by Motorhead, fucking incredible song

Here's the song in it's entirity, it's just too good.

Not one single note of this awesome song was played in the movie, The problem is, sometimes, if they play a song like that in the trailer, I think "Hey, might be some good music in that movie".

• Like 1

I've been meaning to come back and list a few of the worst offenders of the "weepy versions of pop songs over trailers" phenomenon. So here are a few:

And the worst fucking offender:

I think I hit the max number of videos it will let me embed, but there are a few others I can think of:

• "Happy Together" in The Great Gatsby
  • "Wild World" in Mad Max (granted...good movie, but still part of this fucking horrible trend)
  • "Every Breath You Take" in The Woods
  • "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in Dracula Untold
  • "Crazy in Love" in Fifty Shades of Gray
  • "Black Hole Sun" in A Walk Among the Tombstones
  • "I've Got No Strings" in Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • "California Dreamin'" in San Andreas
  • "Sweet Child O' Mine in The Last House on the Left

And it's not limited to movies. TV's been doing it, too, just not as much (most likely for budgetary reasons). The big one that comes to mind is "Wild World" being used in the promos for The Returned.

The most recent movie one, though, which really bums me out because I'm looking forward to this movie so much because Ava is a gift from the gods, is "Sweet Dreams" in the trailers for A Wrinkle in Time.

I think I hit the max number of videos it will let me embed, but there are a few others I can think of:

• "Happy Together" in The Great Gatsby
  • "Wild World" in Mad Max (granted...good movie, but still part of this fucking horrible trend)
  • "Every Breath You Take" in The Woods
  • "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in Dracula Untold
  • "Crazy in Love" in Fifty Shades of Gray
  • "Black Hole Sun" in A Walk Among the Tombstones
  • "I've Got No Strings" in Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • "California Dreamin'" in San Andreas
  • "Sweet Child O' Mine in The Last House on the Left

The most recent movie one, though, which really bums me out because I'm looking forward to this movie so much because Ava is a gift from the gods, is "Sweet Dreams" in the trailers for A Wrinkle in Time.

See, sometimes I think those actually work pretty good for how the trailer is presented, like in the case of San Andreas and surprisingly Fifty Shades, but maybe because the latter was a complete shitshow of a movie. Another I've noticed but haven't seen a lot of correlation to the film/show being bad is mixing the song with the action hits, where the notes of the song match the beats of the movement onscreen, if I'm describing that well. Examples are the recent Jumanji with "Welcome to the Jungle" and The Punisher with "One," both which did a good job of matching beats to what was being shown, though both examples ended up being pretty good in terms of quality.

Another trope I've been noticing with how many bad Prime movies I've been watching is bad or generic ska and rock music. If it isn't No Doubt, Sublime, or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, then it just sounds god awful and uses too much trumpet. And whenever it's bad rock it usually comes off as either a bad attempt at Alice In Chains or Soundgarden.

• Like 1

See, sometimes I think those actually work pretty good for how the trailer is presented, like in the case of San Andreas and surprisingly Fifty Shades, but maybe because the latter was a complete shitshow of a movie. Another I've noticed but haven't seen a lot of correlation to the film/show being bad is mixing the song with the action hits, where the notes of the song match the beats of the movement onscreen, if I'm describing that well.

Just an FYI. The technique you're describing is called Mickey Mousing.

My bad movie list

-when the costume/set/cinematography appear to be from one era, and it is not a period piece

-when the movie begins with more than 2 minutes of narration/exposition.

-x5 when there is a scene after this that is followed by another 2 minutes of more of narration/exposition

-when it has singing more than twice, but is not set as/pitched as a musical

In fact, to carry on the trailer talk, I fucking hate it when movie trailers use songs that aren't in the movie itself.

Almost the only thing I remember about watching “The Big Green” (a rare 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, so probably a good HDTGM candidate once we get some space between it and “Ladybugs”), is that it didn’t have this cool “Kick it Out” song from the trailer.

Fun side story: I accidentally erased too much of your post in the quoted part and had to shake my iPhone like an idiot about 20 times to make the first sentence complete, because the undo function made it come back at a rate of one word or space per shake.

If a character in the movie is so famous that people constantly say something like 'You're THE Pluto Nash'? This seems to be an ego thing for the star.

• Like 1