๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 109 - FACE OFF: LIVE!

Recorded LIVE from Largo in Los Angeles, actor Randall Park joins Paul, Jason, and June to discuss the best movie about face switching ever made, Face Off! They cover everything from Nic Cage asking everyone to suck his tongue, the kabuki like performances from Travolta and Cage, the face waterfall, and much more. Plus, Randall shares his Scientology theory on the film before getting into audience Q&As!

• Like 3

With that ending, I think you could say that both Travolta and Allen realized that they BOTH had a piece of Cage inside of them. Amirite?

• Like 1

And for the Omissions segment in the next episode something I posted about before about a big plot hole...

ย 

ย 

* I can't believe I did not noticed for 18 years but... Archer could of totally proved he was him with his fingerprints... Sorry Jason but someone dropped the ball while making this film and did not add the line that the fingerprints can also be swapped during the doctor's exposition scene.

ย 

• Like 1

Not sure if this will be brought up, but Nicholas Cage and Thomas Jane, who appears as a fellow prisoner, both have Marvel superheroes and PATRICIA ARQUETTE in their futures! That Patricia Arquette is a TOTAL cape chaser...

• Like 3

Oh yeah, and even though they never share a scene in THIS movie, Travolta and Thomas Jane went on to co-star in "The Punisher"!

• Like 2

I want to mount a 1-man show focused on the 12 hours Nic Cage spent between filming Con Air and Face/Off.

ย 

In it, Nic travels to the world of the dead and teams up with Aleister Crowley to rescue Butterscotch, the Jack Russel Terrier who taught him the craft of acting.

• Like 6

The discussion at the end reminded me of talk way back when about a possible American remake of Woo's "The Killer" that could have possibly involved Denzel Washington and Richard Gere, which I could have been totally down for. Not sure they would have worked for "Face/Off" though, with the obvious concern being the difference in height. Yup, that's what would have made it too far-fetched...

I'm 100 percent on board with the face switching. The part that drives me bonkers is that there is nothing keeping Troy in the bed. I know, they assume he's a vegetable. But at least chain him to the bed or post a guard. Have him do one thing to get out.

ย 

EDIT: Posted too soon. My spiritual soul brother in the audience brought this up at the 1h 18m mark.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Like 4

I was already pumped about this episode. I was a really big John Woo fan back in high school and saw this in the theater. But Randall Park is the guest? I can't wait to hear it!

i know i posted this in the mini thread so apologies for the repeat but i just made a few tweaks .. still cant figure out the lighting in PS but i changed the background images to be abit more like the original poster, centered the text and as suggested i added june along with randall

ย 

right, im off to listen to the episode now .. been waiting for this one for a long time

ย 

15sa0z5.jpg

• Like 14

Excellent episode! Everyone was great!

ย 

I don't want this to to come off as body shaming, but as the actors' weight disparity was brought up in both the movie and briefly in the episode, I feel like I can bring up a point that I found to be mind-boggling. At the end of the movie, as Archer is being placed in the ambulance, he tells the EMT about the scar on his chest and tells the guy that when they put him back together feel free to fix it. My question is, was there a scene cut from the movie where--just after he tells him this--he grabs the guy's wrist and adds, "But the love handles...yeah, I'm going to be wanting those back...?"

ย 

How would you even go about doing that? I understand abdominoplasty and liposuction, but what would they do, just put a hose in him and just pump 15-20 pounds of body fat back into him? That can't be healthy.

• Like 6

i know i posted this in the mini thread so apologies for the repeat but i just made a few tweaks .. still cant figure out the lighting in PS but i changed the background images to be abit more like the original poster, centered the text and as suggested i added june along with randall

ย 

right, im off to listen to the episode now .. been waiting for this one for a long time

ย 

ย 

Dude, you can post that as many times as you like. It's fantastic every time.

ย 

This episode was just as wonderful as I had hoped. Jason's description of the science behind how your face is attached had me laughing so hard.

ย 

I love that June is only on the episode for such a small chunk, but she still manages to get in a "That was upsetting." Also, I need to know if June likes plane or "body switcheroo" movies better.

• Like 6

To start things off (because honestly y'all are gonna see a ton of posts from me today) I have to say I took A TON OF NOTES DURING THIS AWESOME MOVIE! And at one point I just had to stop because

ย 

2lvhemg.jpg

ย 

I picked back up of course because it just got better and better but I really just had to soak up all the amazingness of this movie.

• Like 4

Supreme Court justices do not get secret service protection. They may have a US Marshal in DC or local police if they are traveling, but its nothing like the massive secret service detail the president gets.

ย 

Article about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/us/supreme-court-justices-remain-security-exceptions.html?_r=0

ย 

Omission: Cage KILLS the doctor who did the procedure and burns down his high tech secret lab. Yet at the end, some other doctors can just jump in and redevelop the laser face/off procedure and put them back together? I call BS

ย 

The Secret Boot Prison brought up a lot of questions. They say that Castor no longer exists and this is a secret prison that doesn't exist. Yet there are like 300 prisoners in there. Are we to believe that 300+ American Citizens could disappear to secret jail and no one asks questions? No family members say, "hey remember uncle john... he was arrested... and then disapeared. WTF?"

ย 

Great Episode!

Matt

• Like 1

These surgical procedures were almost Frank Tupelo/The Tourist-level complicated.

ย 

Where does the FBI get the 35-40 million dollars to finance this kind of risky operation? As a taxpayer I feel I should be entitled to know.

• Like 4

Omissions:

ย 

This movie basically predicted 9/11.

ย 

When Castor Troy gets to Sean Archer's home and opens Sean Archer's diary look at the dates:

ย 

oqep92.jpg

ย 

SEAN ARCHER IS DESCRIBING HIS SORROW ON 9/11!!!

ย 

ย 

ย 

Corrections:

ย 

In the plane chase Nic Cage appears to turn the plane by turning the planes yolk (steering wheel). In fact, when on the ground the planes wheels are controlled by the pedals. To turn the plane Nic cage would have to get in the pilot's chair and turn the plane with his feet.

• Like 3

If we follow Randall Park amazing and epic theory then the magnetic boot prison is actually "The Hole" at Gold Base (also known as Int. Base) where everybody is forced to play musical chairs but in the movie the chairs would be too dangerous as they could be used for fights so they only walk around in circles also the wardens encurage fights and end them at their will...

• Like 5

How would you even go about doing that? I understand abdominoplasty and liposuction, but what would they do, just put a hose in him and just pump 15-20 pounds of body fat back into him? That can't be healthy.

ย 

thats been rolling around my head since i saw this film, and if i might be so bold as to just add a few other points ..

ย 

so they sucked the fat out of Travolta and shaped his body to look like Nic Cage's body

ย 

then Cage transforms into Travolta .. so did Cage have to have Travoltas fat pumped into him?

ย 

And after Cage is killed at the end, did they then suck the fat out of his dead body and pump it back into Travolta?

ย 

and the writers were worrying about getting an infection from a microchip???

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ohhh .. and maybe some of the fat they pumped back into cage somehow contained some nic cage "Essence" and that would explain the ending that was cut????

• Like 5