🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 109 - FACE OFF: LIVE!

in Greek mythology Castor and Pollux were twin brothers (Gemini in Roman mythology). one was mortal and one was half god

That doesn't make sense, unless...

I love the alternate castings. Of the real-life options mentioned, I feel like the ones with Schwarzenegger and Van Damme wouldn't work, because while I could buy the voice microchip thing, I couldn't buy that it could add or subtract an accent (or that either of those actors could go the whole movie without an accent).

Two of mine, one with the cross-race (I can't believe no one came up with RACE/OFF) theme and one fairly obvious modern one:

- Keith David and David Keith

- Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson

• Like 4

If nic cage's son had taken the place of travolta's dead daughter, this could have been a prequel/reboot for sleep away camp.

• Like 2

In response to the guy who was questioning nic cage's mustache and where it went. My theory is that is his assassin disguise. If castor troy ever got arrested for murder all he has to say "did the shooter have a mustache?"

• Like 1

Talking about that kid's experiance. Not only has everyone he has ever known been killed, they were killed by a guy who looks just like his new dad!

I love the alternate castings. Of the real-life options mentioned, I feel like the ones with Schwarzenegger and Van Damme wouldn't work, because while I could buy the voice microchip thing, I couldn't buy that it could add or subtract an accent (or that either of those actors could go the whole movie without an accent).

Two of mine, one with the cross-race (I can't believe no one came up with RACE/OFF) theme and one fairly obvious modern one:

They would have to insert a scene in an alley in which David Keith told Keith David to 'Put on the glasses.'

• Like 4

Also, I am so angry that I didn't think of that pairing.

In response to the guy who was questioning nic cage's mustache and where it went. My theory is that is his assassin disguise. If castor troy ever got arrested for murder all he has to say "did the shooter have a mustache?"

That guy was apparently unaware of both spirit gum and razors. Tools for attaching and removing mustaches.

• Like 1

It's ok I've got this covered.

e5r0ao.jpg

Why did I not think of this before.

Plotline is, Castor Troy's twin brother just got out of jail.

another twist would be Schwarzenegger / Dwayne Johnson

• Like 2

Ok, I really thought for a while that the SAME ACTOR KID played both Travolta's dead kid and Cage's alive kid. I don't think they are the same actor, but holy shit WOULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN BETTER IF THEY WERE PLAYED BY THE SAME ACTOR???

• Like 3

At 0:25:13 they are printing a guys ear on what looks like an iPad. Maybe Jonathan Ive was a huge Face/Off fanboy? Or did John Woo predict the future!

Check out the contents of Castor Troy's goodie box at the beginning of the film:

post-104590-0-95916700-1430626265_thumb.jpg

Sunglasses, doobies, pills, stressball, jack knife, Chiclets. The man is prepared for anything.

• Like 1

Keenan Wayans and Keenan Wynn

(Wayans reprising his character from Glimmer Man, Wynn reprising his character from Laserblast.)

or, Kristen Stewart and a cardboard cutout of Kristen Stewart

Not so much plot holes for me but how badly edited stunts were in this movie. I was amazed at how many safety lines and stunt rigs were visible along with a squib from a head shot sticking straight up behind the FBI agent that Travolta shoots in the head and remains there into the next scene when he falls to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sL_3HNw9YA

I also still can't wrap my head around how the opening scene features Cage doing EVERYTHING a sniper should not be doing before a shot (whipping a cover up into the air for anyone to see, not matching his surroundings to camouflage himself, being what looks like fifty feet away from his target). I almost want to go out on a limb and blame Sean Archer for getting his kid killed by not noticing such a blatant sniper in the area and doing something about it.

They would have to insert a scene in an alley in which David Keith told Keith David to 'Put on the glasses.'

I think the movie would have been pushing three hours by the time that was all said and done.

I enjoyed how after the literally ZILLIONS of dollars worth of property damage, it still just ultimately comes down to two guys fighting over a spear gun and somebody unimpressively catching it in the gut, which is pretty standard for a John Woo film. I think an entire country in Europe got destroyed in "Mission Impossible 2" (it's okay though, it wasn't an important one), just for it to end in a knife fight between Tom Cruise and Guy That Didn't Get to Be Wolverine. Also, "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" end in Mexican standoffs.

I have a few observations that weren't made by the podcast crew.

• In the prison breakout scene, there was an option on the computer called "System Overload" that Cage uses and somehow causes the TVs to explode. What person would ever have that be a thing you could select?
  • When Cage and Joan Allen are in the hospital and they hear Travolta coming, Allen quickly moves to a different curtained off area. What's so baffling about this is that she's treating what I think is a burn victim who is missing HALF THEIR FACE and her way of being inconspicuous is to use a stethoscope. ON A DUDE WITH HALF A FACE.
  • As amazing as that boat chase was, how did no one mention the fact that when the boat jumps through the other boat not only does it explode but it does so with the noise of fireworks going off.
  • I watched the alternate ending and I don't agree with Paul and Jason's conclusion. The whole joint hallucination thing notwithstanding, I think we are supposed to believe that Castor Troy as Travolta managed to survive and come back. Travolta makes a super evil grin as he's hugging Joan Allen as if to say, "I totally got away with this."

• Like 4

• As amazing as that boat chase was, how did no one mention the fact that when the boat jumps through the other boat not only does it explode but it does so with the noise of fireworks going off.

That really was amazing. I know that the effects of accidents are always exaggerated/dramatized, but this was a whole other level. A speedboat rear-ends a slightly larger boat that isn't moving, and it experiences no damage or deceleration, goes airborn, passes through the body of the other boat, and causes it to explode.

OMISSION: If Castor Troy wanted Sean Archer dead he could have shot him another 10 times in the opening infanticide sequence. It's not like Castor Troy is worried about getting caught because he remains at the scene for quite some time watching Sean crawl over to his dead son. It would be like shooting pigs in a barrel but I guess there would be no movie if this happened ;(

• Like 4

So, I think we can all agree that--in the world of this movie--our tax dollars are 100% going toward questionable medical procedures in lieu of paying our law enforcement officials to give the tiniest sliver of a fuck. Here are two examples:

June brought up when Travoltage jumps off the oil rig prison and somehow manages to make it all the way to Spago, but what wasn't mentioned was as soon as he hits the water, the film cuts to the helicopter pilot who basically shrugs and flies off. First of all, the rig is in the ocean so there is a good possibility he could survive. Also, as far as I know, bodies are pretty buoyant, so even if he did die from the jump, his body should pop up in relatively the same spot. Hey Mr. Pilot, maybe hang around for second or two before you punch out for the day... I mean, land is clearly within shouting distance which should give you a pretty good indicator of which direction he would go. I'll tell you what, if you don't see his shattered corpse float to the surface after a couple of seconds, maybe make a couple of passes to see if he might be swimming to shore. Plus, he's not Aquaman! He is going to have to come up for air at sometime. You are in a helicopter! Find that son of a bitch!

My second example is just after the escape and Cavolta returns to the office their secret headquarters that everyone seems to know about. Margret Cho comes up to him and says, "Good news! Castor is dead," but when he demands to see the body she says, "We haven't recovered it yet, but even if he survived he wouldn't be stupid enough to come back here." Um...this is a sadistic, domestic terrorist that has been in operation for over six years, and you are in the FBI! I could see how if you were in the LAPD you could take some solace knowing he might not come back to your city, but it still might be a good idea to go ahead and apprehend him before he blows up some other city. Just saying...

that's what I was going to say too. I guess the chopper pilot thinks; "Well, he belongs to the sea now." or "Obviously I can't fly this helicopter into the ocean, so clearly the chase is over."

• Like 1

omissions -

You mentioned how Cage/ Travolta are never able to actually shoot each other. The exception being unless it is another cop who gets within 25 feet of them. Example at 2:02:53 after TravolCage tricks the daughter into shooting CageVolta, TravolCage goes out to the street where 2 plainclothes cops have pulled up. The plainclothes ask if he's okay and and he lets off about 4 or 5 rounds that all apparently find their target instantly killing them. Yet in the "Mirror" scene, they are literally inches from each other for several moments and cannot hit each other once, even though somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rounds are spent.

alternate pairings/directors -

Joaquin Phoenix / Vincent Gallo - dir. Quentin Tarantino

Joaquin Phoenix / Adam Sandler - dir. Paul Thomas Anderson

This was fucking amazing, thanks guys!!

EDIT - Dibs on CageVolta as a band name.