🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ribelin2000

Why did they change the theme song?

Quasar-rap ...

And so Figrin D'an, who once sat atop the galactic pop charts, resigned himself to a new life of anonymity among the seedy cantinas in Mos Eisley.

"The big clubs are looking for a younger sound," his manager had told him. "The kids today aren't into that jizz and jatz music anymore. The only thing they want is quasar-rap. Droidz in the Hood, Jawas With Attitude, Wook-Tang Clan, Run2-D2*. That sort of thing. You've got to modernize your sound, man! Get hip!"

"No way," Figrin replied. "I'm going to jizz until the day I die."

* Or maybe Run-DMC3P0?

• Like 3

Funny that all your generalizations about rap are based on things that NEVER APPEAR in the theme song, which is what you originally started complaining about.

hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing. I love the new song. Especially how I notice a new lyric every time. It's great.

• Like 7

Cameron H.-No, words are not powerful.

What a set of reasonable opinions this man has.

Definitely time to change the theme song then I guess!

• Like 5

PS It's always the backwards a-holes who are so sure they're standing up for good values who like to use "tard" in their arguments.

Don't say the word ho, but meanwhile I'mma call you a r****d.

Ho, sit down.

• Like 9

OK, what did I say in my posts that was racist? Not a damn thing. That's another thing I'm sick and tired of: this idea that if you don't like rap music, you must be a racist. Spare me the politically-correct bullshit, Al Sharpton. I'm not gonna let you play the race card around here. And there's nothing wrong with saying "retarded", Jen. This has nothing to do with the mentally-handicapped. I don't need a speech Nazi telling me what I can and can't say. This political-correctness fascism must be stopped, plain and simple.

Yeah so here's the thing. There's plenty of people that don't like rap and aren't racist. You aren't one of them though... cause then you wouldn't complain about it in those terms, as if it represents everything wrong with the world. There's only one reason to believe that. Claiming that you can't tell that there's many different subgenres likewise.

Every time I hear a rap song, I can't tell the difference between one or the other, it's all the same, talking about "bitches and hoes", smoking the chronic, using the n-word, robbing stores, being money-obsessed,

Well now that indeed suggests you're quite old... that's so nineties!

Oh and as to the remix theme song... I love it. Only the REEEMIIIXXX is a bit too loud, the rest of it is just so funny and really gets me in the mood for the show, more than the original really.

• Like 1

Yeah so here's the thing. There's plenty of people that don't like rap and aren't racist. You aren't one of them though... cause then you wouldn't complain about it in those terms, as if it represents everything wrong with the world. There's only one reason to believe that. Claiming that you can't tell that there's many different subgenres likewise.

Well now that indeed suggests you're quite old... that's so nineties!

Oh and as to the remix theme song... I love it. Only the REEEMIIIXXX is a bit too loud, the rest of it is just so funny and really gets me in the mood for the show, more than the original really.

Wait rappers don't still talk about "the" chronic 20 years later? :-O

• Like 3

People, let's be fucking civil here. This fight obviously needs to be settled with an epic rap battle.

• Like 6

People, let's be fucking civil here. This fight obviously needs to be settled with an epic rap battle.

FUCK THAT!

tumblr_mtum5phCjj1sjchtqo1_500.gif

• Like 3

The only people I've known who get this upset about rap music are semi-racist grade schoolers

• Like 10

I definitely prefer the rap to the old HDTGM song. It's more in tune than the old theme song for starters.

Actually, a lot of the segment theme songs have improved over time. I'm kind of grateful.

• Like 1

Unfortunate that OP's criticism just boils down to 'rap is crap'. I have plenty of good reasons to hate basically every music change the show has made lately. And I'll just get it out of the way, that, yes, this is an extremely pet-peevish list of grievances and I am a loser with too much time on his hands.

The theme song makes me literally cringe. First of all, 'REEEEMIIIIIIX' is just stale and cliche as fuck. It's what unfunny people do when they're doing their 'I'm being gangsta but I know I'm hopelessly white!' schtick (which, I repeat, is stale and cliche).

Second, it's so circle-jerky. The theme we all know and love perfectly outlines what the show is, very simple. This is a masturbatory 'hey remember when we did that movie? Remember when June said that? Remember the Odd Life of Timothy Green episode? Eh? Eh?'

Third, and worst of all, it's so. fucking. long.

This basically applies to the Second Opinions song, as well. A nice little interstitial horn will do just fine, absolutely do not need 'and now here's Paul, June & Jason doing a funny song!'

I'm operating under the assumption that the show is Paul's baby and as much as I love him, he has THE WORST instincts when it comes to music. Go back and listen to the really early episodes, where the music was just the worst kind of generic shit rock.

I'm done (being a complaining asshole, not with the show).

• Like 1

Jason: "And don't forget guys, speaking of the remix, to go on the Earwolf forums and participate in the conversation that's going on about whether you like the new remix theme song."

Thanks, Jason...

giphy.gif

• Like 11

Jason: "And don't forget guys, speaking of the remix, to go on the Earwolf forums and participate in the conversation that's going on about whether you like the new remix theme song." Thanks, Jason... giphy.gif

1531.gif

• Like 16

This thread just reminds me of this old gimmick from later years WCW, it actually started to do well in actual country stations until WCW decided to kill the angle dead for no reason.

• Like 2

This thread just reminds me of this old gimmick from later years WCW, it actually started to do well in actual country stations until WCW decided to kill the angle dead for no reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVu3cwHOQTY

I was thinking the exact same thing.

As for WCW killing it, it's because they were dumbshits. Southern based promotion, they made the country music guys the heels, whilest the obnoxious rapper, and his gang that had them outnumbered 5-to-1 were the supposed good guys.

• Like 1

I was thinking the exact same thing.

As for WCW killing it, it's because they were dumbshits. Southern based promotion, they made the country music guys the heels, whilest the obnoxious rapper, and his gang that had them outnumbered 5-to-1 were the supposed good guys.

That was WCW, whenever they fell into something hot, they killed it because it didn't go along with their planned stories. There was a great quote from Bobby Heenan about it in The Death of WCW about that being a key difference between WCW and WWE where while WCW would not go with the flow and kill angles that came about naturally, the WWE would accept those changes and amplify them to help their product. Killing the Rednecks angle was incredibly stupid considering how hated Master P and his crew were inside WCW, and how fans absolutely loved the country guys despite them all being heels only a couple months prior.

I love the new theme song. Setting everything else aside, it's clever and funny, which makes it a really good fit for this podcast.

As for the OP, a person who is going to become enraged over something so trivial is probably on fifty other message boards raging against an outfit, or a guest, etc.

• Like 5

That was WCW, whenever they fell into something hot, they killed it because it didn't go along with their planned stories. There was a great quote from Bobby Heenan about it in The Death of WCW about that being a key difference between WCW and WWE where while WCW would not go with the flow and kill angles that came about naturally, the WWE would accept those changes and amplify them to help their product. Killing the Rednecks angle was incredibly stupid considering how hated Master P and his crew were inside WCW, and how fans absolutely loved the country guys despite them all being heels only a couple months prior.

But this a company that created "The Kiss Demon", who had to be in "Main Event Matches" so they could get Kiss to play live.

But this a company that created "The Kiss Demon", who had to be in "Main Event Matches" so they could get Kiss to play live.

And to get the worst TV ratings in the company's history.

I do think it's the lesser of the two themes by a significant margin, not because it's a rap song, but simply because it's not very good.

The rapper appears to have that particular speech impediment where someone says S's with that Shlusssssh sound like they have an overabundance of saliva, which makes it feels like someone is hogging a loogie in my ear everytime he says Schwarzenegger, the musical accompaniment is pretty generic and the lyrics aren't particularly clever.

• Like 1

I like the new theme. The old theme was good too, for what it was (a lo-fi replication of a They Might Be Giants style), but it ran its course.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this