🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ribelin2000

Why did they change the theme song?

Since I live in Hawaii, I feel like it falls to me to answer this call. *Sequesters self away in tiny hut thatched with palm leaves*

I am 100% on board!!

snlcurly-1440009799.gif

• Like 3

The "new" theme song is amazing. Whether it is rap, or whatever... listening to the theme song and catching all the references to past episodes is as fun as listening to the podcast. It's Cleveland Speight, if I am correct, and he did a masterful job putting together this track. If a country music, EDM, or punk rock outfit wants to submit what they think is a better intro, go ahead, I am sure they would consider it; but right now, this intro is unparalleled as a podcast intro theme song. HANDS DOWN.

I agree about catching the references; I laugh every time he raps about June and the monkeys gettin' paid.

• Like 2

I laugh at the new theme all the time. Still, it doesn't feel like a theme song. I miss the original, it actually felt like the opening of a show, it was hype! Bring back the original!

• Like 1

I don't really dig the new theme, either, but I just fast forward past it. Is it really so traumatic that the OP can't?

• Like 1

I find it a little frustrating how long the front end of the show is with ads, plugs, and a 60sec theme song. I don't think any other earwolf podcast regularly takes more than 5 minutes to get through the ads and theme song, but the last few HDTGM definitely have.

C+

I find it a little frustrating how long the front end of the show is with ads, plugs, and a 60sec theme song. I don't think any other earwolf podcast regularly takes more than 5 minutes to get through the ads and theme song, but the last few HDTGM definitely have.

C+

True, but what's stopping you from skipping it? It's not like it's live TV.

• Like 2

I agree about catching the references; I laugh every time he raps about June and the monkeys gettin' paid.

My favorite line is "bad Jim Varney lookin' kinda nice." Cracks me up EVERY time.

• Like 3

True, but what's stopping you from skipping it? It's not like it's live TV.

Yeah, and it's free. I'll never understand complaining about something you enjoy for free.

• Like 2

I like the new song. It reminds me of the openings of Rock/Chappelle/Hannibal comedy specials. Just imagine them walking around backstage with a towel on their shoulder on their way to the mic, fistbumping friends, pointing to people off-screen, grabbing a bottle of water from an intern. It really makes each episode feel like an event.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/a7apf4/chappelle-s-show-two-minute-special---uncensored

I like the theme, it's fun. The "REEEEEEMIX" part is pretty corny though. Just go right into the main body of the song, you don't even need to reference the old theme.

• Like 1

And the new, retarded rap version isn't corny? You've gotta be kidding me!

And I'm getting sick of people suggesting that anyone who doesn't like obnoxious-ass rap must be old. Seriously, fuck you.

You're old. Whether or not you are chronologically old, you are old. You have carpet on your heart.

Bollocks to the new one.......though to be absolutely fair, while I hate rap and hip hop, the old theme was pretty damn shitty too, and even though I despise the genre of music it comes from, the new theme is far from the worst thing Ive ever heard (just listen to the current top ten - if that's still actually a thing these days - for some great examples of that sort of festering aural dogshite). So, fuck it, Ive changed my mind, bollocks to the old one instead.

Im away to crank up the phonograph and listen to my Vesta Tilley wax cylinders and leave you youngsters to your 78s and your ragtime so called music. Its really is the end of days.

I really do hate rap and hip hop though. Ghastly stuff.

I'm no expert on rap (confession: I am actually an expert on rap), but every time I hear that theme, it makes me smile.

"How did Schwarzenegger grow a baby in his belly / rock a rhinestone vest while ripping Justin to Kelly"

So cool how they managed to fit in all those movies. Great stuff.

• Like 2

Look, I'm just saying there was no reason to change the theme song. The old theme was just fine. Just because some re+arded fan made it doesn't mean you have to use it. This new, stupid rap theme is the New Coke to the old theme's Coca-Cola Classic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know.

And I have a right not to like rap music, OK? I'm sick of having it shoved down my throat everywhere I go. And we wonder why the dumbing-down of America is happening.

I bet you own at least one Toby Keith CD.

Man 2 1/2 years later and now I'm wondering why tf I thought we could all hug it out with that OP. Nah fuck that dude.

But since I didn't mention this back in the day I'm taking the opportunity now to mention that Tupac actually didn't rap about disrespecting women. Here's some lyrics from his song "Keep Your Head Up" which is surprisingly a feminist anthem.

And since we all came from a woman

Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman

I wonder why we take from our women

Why we rape our women — do we hate our women?

I think it's time to kill for our women

Time to heal our women, be real to our women

And if we don't we'll have a race of babies

That will hate the ladies that make the babies

And since a man can't make one

He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one

Man 2 1/2 years later and now I'm wondering why tf I thought we could all hug it out with that OP. Nah fuck that dude.

But since I didn't mention this back in the day I'm taking the opportunity now to mention that Tupac actually didn't rap about disrespecting women. Here's some lyrics from his song "Keep Your Head Up" which is surprisingly a feminist anthem.

You may want to walk back that Tupac didn't rap about disrespecting women. His views on women could be described as complicated or conflicting. Listen to something like Wonda Why They Call U Bytch. I get what he's trying to sry in that but let's say it's problematic at best.

You may want to walk back that Tupac didn't rap about disrespecting women. His views on women could be described as complicated or conflicting. Listen to something like Wonda Why They Call U Bytch. I get what he's trying to sry in that but let's say it's problematic at best.

Fair. I just wouldn't put him in the same boat as a lot of others, but I will be honest that the ones like that are not on my rotation. And I love Keep Your Head Up.

It's funny how people's perceptions about what "rap music" is seem solidly locked in the 1990s. We're talking about 20 years having passed between then and now, roughly the same time that elapsed between the end of the Beatles and the start of Nirvana.

I'm not a big rap or hip-hop guy, but even I can tell that the genre has evolved a lot in that time.

When I saw this thread pop back up, I figured someone was going to ask why the theme song hasn't changed again, given that the "new" one has been around for a few years or so.

Sign in to follow this