🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ribelin2000

Pet Sematary and Pet Sematary 2

Both of these movies are prime candidates for HDTGM. First, you have the original, which Stephen King wrote himself. Here's the thing about this movie: it start out as this your typical King horror flick, scary but fun and entertaining, but once you get to that picnic scene, with that oil truck and the baby chasing after that kite, that's when the movie's tone gets even darker and more depressing and even sad. You've got an evil zombie baby with a scalpel, you've got Fred Gwynne and his thick New England accent, you've got the ghost with the massive head wound-what's not to talk about here? And the sequel, with Edward Furlong, fresh off of T2, and a bearded, pre-"ER" Anthony Edwards, is even better, and by "better", I mean, absolutely fucking dreadful, with a plot that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and a completely nasty, mean-spirited, ugly tone. I felt like I needed a shower after seeing that one, let me tell you! What do you guys think? You wanna see Paul and the gang cover these two movies?

• Like 1

For Heaven's sake, can someone please explain to me why, after two weeks, this topic has only had one reply-by myself? Anybody?

Dude, if nobody's replying, let it go.

Though, I do feel bad about not contributing, so I will say I've only seen a bit of the beginning of the movie. I recall that every time there was an establishing shot of their house, a semi-truck would pass by on the road, making it seem like they lived on a road mostly used by commercial truckers rather than someplace sensible like a suburban neighborhood.

• Like 1

I think the 2nd one would be the one to go with. The first *is* extremely dark but I think it works as a sort of Twilight Zone-y parable about grief and temptation. Fun fact: George Ramero was set to make the original but had to pull out because he was too busy making Monkey Shines.

I recall that every time there was an establishing shot of their house, a semi-truck would pass by on the road, making it seem like they lived on a road mostly used by commercial truckers rather than someplace sensible like a suburban neighborhood.

I was right there with you on thinking that situation was a little ridiculous until I moved to a very similar road where truckers (and just about everyone else) also barrel down with seemingly no awareness of the residential setting. I get nervous just checking my mailbox.

Bumping thread for Pet Sematary II. It's free on amazon prime. This movie is so ridiculously downbeat, it's hilarious. It opens with a kid watching his mom get electrocuted to death and is followed immediately by a scene of a vet euthanizing a dog. And then there are lots of cute animals being brutally murdered throughout the rest of the movie.

Clancy Brown's performance is pretty great. Edward Furlong's performance  goes from reasonably serviceable to terrible as the film goes on. 

Sign in to follow this