🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 349 — The 6th Anniversary Show!

This continues CBB's best year ever. I think every three or four episodes, we're getting stuff that would be considered an all time classic if the rest of the field weren't so strong. Lauren's always great, but she was particularly on fire with the one-liners. Everyone else? Pure dream team of comedy. I love all of Mike's work, and Wengert gave me the biggest laugh of the day with the big reveal during the plugs section.

And Neil Fucking Campbell, I love every one of your appearances, and this might have been your best one yet. Best new character of the year, perhaps? It's not that I DEMAND more appearances, but I strongly suggest it.

Thanks for six wonderful years, CBB. I've only been listening on a weekly basis for about two and a half years, because I didn't know it was a thing before then. It sounds like a strange and selfish thing to say about a thing that strangers do for free on the internet machine, but the show really feels like it's enriched my life. It's not the *only* thing I have to look forward to on a weekly basis, but it is the only thing that brightens my day between my working hours of 4:00 AM and 3:30 PM. Every Monday, and sometimes Thursday, (not to mention most Friday evenings, nowadays), I get to go to a strange and magical world where everything is joyful and funny people let me hang with them for a while. It's great.

• Like 5

"I'll put a fuckin' GUN to your head!" is still one of the stand-out lines of this episode for me. What an amazing entrance for Ho-Ho.

• Like 2

It seems like the Wild Horses, except for Ms. Lapkus, have a hard time going solo. Whitehead especially flounders. Their characters always feel like they're waiting to be fed a line by one of the others in the group. Lapkus and Steph (on I4H) seem to really shine solo.

I have to say though that Mary Holland has had some very strong outings. She basically stole the show from PFT and Natasha Lyonne, two total alphas, in Tash.2 (CBB#317).

I've said it before, I'll say it again, bring back Dreama Peaches the Bear Hunter!

Also, yes Steph Allynne is amazing on I4H. Particularly the trilogy with Gabrus (I4H #165,166,168).

• Like 9

I believe so.

I'm still waiting (in vain) for another Shelby Orangina appearance.

Or that guy with the method for remembering people's names, whose name I have somehow forgot. (I must have selected an inappropriate keyword.) ((Speaking of: that character's "you're name is Zazzu" line might just be my favourite single moment in six years of CBB eps))

Dr Jerry Pensacola!!

EDIT - Wait, no... he gets the blood singing... Shit I answered too quick and then blanked.

• Like 1

I have to say though that Mary Holland has has some very strong outings. She basically stole the show from PFT and Natasha Lyon, two total alphas, in Tash.2 (CBB#317). I've said it before, I'll say it again, bring back Dreama Peaches the Bear Hunter! Also, yes Steph Allynne is amazing on I4H. Particularly the trilogy with Gabrus (I4H #165,166,168).

Definitely agree with this. Honestly, I think the picking apart of Erin as Chad is bullshit. Scott and PFT were the ones who grabbed onto the verbal fumble of the penis teeth, and the other guests were definitely interacting, even if it was in a confused manner at times. It didn't fit perfectly with all of the guests, but it's not like her presence was an affront to everything that happened prior to her arrival.

And regarding the Wild Horses working blue, what the fuck does that even mean? Mary Holland was crass in the Tom Green episode. Oh no! That absolutely means they've been relying on this, except for when they didn't when they had the live CBB! show in Austin that was derailed by James Adomian being the one to go way overboard. They've been killing it on WSGLL and i4h, but someone needs to tell those women not to be so nasty, right? Maybe if they do an over-the-top impersonation they'll be considered geniuses in their crassness.

Overall, great episode though. Joe Wengert is so understated in his appearances, but he never disappoints. Mike Hanford still being clueless in his Beatles lore is continuously hilarious. And continually putting Paul Scheer on the hot seat while he was trying to figure his character out (even calling it a character) was the icing on this 6th Anniversary cake.

• Like 10

I've heard of Thomas Middleditch, but Thomas Ditching in the Middle of a show?

And that has been Riddle Me This.

• Like 15

Also, I can't believe after 105 comments there hasn't been one photoshopped picture of Scott riding a stake around the studio.

• Like 1

So happy to see the Santa character come back. 2nd best part of the ep: Scott being the last one in the room to figure out that the duck character is a specific reference. :D

• Like 6

I've heard of Riddle Me This, but Middle Me Ditch?!

• Like 11

There was also a few times someone said "two more" and Scott didn't reply "It's not a two more."

This episode is fantastic as hell, though. Love all of these guests.

Also, here's the Timekeeper's favorite comic book:

What_If%3F_Vol_1_34.jpg

Didn't think I'd get as much out of this pic as I have.

I imagine that JW Stillwater's dad is pretty fond of this one as well.

• Like 4

2nd best part of the ep: Scott being the last one in the room to figure out that the duck character is a specific reference. :D

PFT's laugh at that very moment is a thing of sheer beauty.

Also, Neil Campbell had a role on the TV show the other week (the episode with Joel McHale) where he played a man from the future who arrived naked and refused to put on clothes, and I recommend it to everyone.

between the bookkeeper and his nudity, every neil heavy episode has a skin and bones theme

I really don't know what to say about this episode, but I'll try to say something... It definitely lived up to its predecessors, and everyone had me laughing. Cake Boss, Ho-Ho, Scrooge Mc... uhh, Brad Hammerstone? John Lennon, and of course newcomers Klaus, Rickster and (tick tock) The Timekeeper. I'll agree with the above sentiments that The Timekeeper was fucking awesome, but I can't remember a Neil Campbell character I didn't like. I'm still hoping for a Winsome / Dalton Wilcox crossover, since Winsome is clearly some kind of dark immortal entity and Dalton doesn't stand for that kind of horseshit. This is the first podcast in awhile that made me laugh so hard that I had to stop working out for a moment just to laugh and rewind a bit. I think Paul was actually fishing for a "Technicality No Down Boo Over" but Scott didn't pick up on it... I also think Scott sounded a bit drunk or high or something in this episode, or maybe just full of joy; sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in Scott as a host, but only for one specific reason: it's an audio show and he's never mentioned in the past that Alan Thicke is blue and his lower half is a trail of mist leading into a lamp. Really fucked that one up, Scott. At least now I have the full visual.

I didn't read through all of the comments so I'm sorry if this was already brought up, but did anybody else catch Ho-Ho's "like Outkast!" about "alright alright alright alright"? Lapkus threw in some amazing lines throughout the episode, but that has to be my favorite and it seemed like it went unnoticed by the room.

About the Outkast reference, I thought it was very funny as well and I was hoping someone would have called Ho-Ho out for knowing about Outkast and not knowing about the Beatles. Sometimes I think I would be a worthy guest on the Comedy Bang Bang program.

• Like 1

Ptt pttit ptt. Riddler. Ptt pttit ptt. Riddler.

• Like 3

I've heard of Riddle Me This, but Middle Me Ditch?!

too bad scott just found the show's perm catchphrase

• Like 1

I have to say though that Mary Holland has had some very strong outings. She basically stole the show from PFT and Natasha Lyonne, two total alphas, in Tash.2 (CBB#317).

I've said it before, I'll say it again, bring back Dreama Peaches the Bear Hunter!

Also, yes Steph Allynne is amazing on I4H. Particularly the trilogy with Gabrus (I4H #165,166,168).

Yes. I'm not saying the characters aren't funny. But they often rely on the group dynamic as opposed to being a driving character like daly/pft.

Your example is actually one I'd use to prove my point. Peaches was hilarious...but her material ran out REAL QUICK. PFT/Scott immediately made up for that fact with the running, extended sidebars.

It's pretty amazing to me that this show has stayed so consistently great for six years. Just cranking out high quality content like theres no tomorrow.

Neil Campbell, damn he is a funny bastard. I wish he could be on the show more often.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has commented on Scott's "LEAVE HIM ALONE!!" when everyone was pig-piling on Cake Boss. I was crying laughing after I heard that.

Reminded me of Victor Diamond's "LEEB HIM ALONEEEE!!!" outburst on the Kumail/Ray episode.

• Like 2

Reminded me of Victor Diamond's "LEEB HIM ALONEEEE!!!" outburst on the Kumail/Ray episode.

Scott is definitely doing a callback to that! He also did it in the most recent Victor and Tiny appearance, Athlete's Head. It was one of the biggest laughs for me in each episode.

• Like 2

Great EP.

Paul Scheer charac's might not always explore fertile territory, he is still literally one of the most personable and likeable people in the world!

The back and forth between Lapkus and PFT is fuckin' bonkers!

Timekeeper? More like laugh keeper! Because he kept me laughing!

I need to re-listen to this episode as I clearly missed some gold while in the car while "rolling restlessly by a 24 hour moon"

Yep, a Tom Waits ref suck it up haters!

Also Scottie, I know you never read this crap but i'd be happy to beatbox as your musical sidekick (I can literally beatbox for hours without repetition and do so at great consternare à partir de me neighbros) :wub:

Is this post pretentious? God I hope so! I mixed latin AND french AND dude'kid into one flippin' sentence!

Is this post too long and self-aware? This post thinks so.

• Like 3

cant take nono! had to stop listening...

Don't knwo where I've heard german laughing like that before.

god this was a funny show that German guy and the cake boss rule!

how come know one asked him the hard questions like, how did he over come his addiction to rum cakes.

Cake Boss says he wasn't formally introduced to a ghost, HOWEVER, I vaguely remember Ghost of Richard Harrow saying that he talked to Cake Boss. Was it not formal? What happened to the Ghost of Richard Harrow?