🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 186 — Waxahatchee and the Beige River

Dennis DeYoung's gonna be in Costa Mesa in August. I'm sure someone could convince him to make the trip to LA while he's out that way. Who wouldn't wanna hear an improv scene inspired by the music of Styx?

• Like 1

hey u2 is going to be on tour in LA in may you should get them on

U Talkin' U2 on improv4humans to Me?

• Like 3

Glad to see Hiller back on. He's one of my fav regulars from the early days of the show.

• Like 1

An all time great episode. It's been awhile (*ahem*) since we've had a group of I4H all-stars.

If I had one suggestion/critique for the show, it would be for Matt to try to find a different way to ask "What does that mean?" for the lyrics. It seems like every musician I've read interviews with talks about how they hate talking about what their songs mean; how they want their work to be open to interpretation. Maybe ask them what it means to to them, or what they were trying to evoke. Not only that, but it seems like the kinds of artists Matt likes write very straightforward (sometimes a little too on-the-nose, if anything), almost narrative-style lyrics. Other than Bazan, I don't think any of the musician's I4H has had have had particularly ambiguous lyrics. I think the songs are pretty obvious in what they "mean." But it might get better stories out of the musicians if you ask what it means to them, or where they were at emotionally when they wrote the song.

Loved Hiller's repeated explanation character in this one.

Personally, I thought Jeff Hiller was great, especially his character who restated things in his own words.

• Like 4

Dennis DeYoung's gonna be in Costa Mesa in August. I'm sure someone could convince him to make the trip to LA while he's out that way. Who wouldn't wanna hear an improv scene inspired by the music of Styx?

Besser: Dennis can you tell us what that song is about?

DeYoung: Well, at the time I was dating this guy who was an early Roomba prototype, and I really wanted to thank him.

• Like 1

Great episode and such a great muuusical guest!! It would be amazing if they could somehow get Father John Misty on the show. Also, Angel Olsen or Sharon Van Etten would be pretty sweet.

• Like 2

Wait, has it really been almost a year (disregarding the best-of) since Jeff was on? Damn. I know it's been awhile but didn't realize that long.

I love I4H. I listen to it religiously. It's my favorite form of entertainment. Matt Besser is the most underated comedian in the world.

However, Matt, I'm begging on bended knee, if you insist on doing the 1/2 music-1/2 comdedy thing, at least get a real band in there. I thought you liked punk music? What's with all the "singer-song writers"? They all sound the same and they all sound like shit. I know the current music scene sucks and has sucked for ages now, but enough with the folk singers. I don't believe someone with your taste in music actually likes this stuff. I think the influence is coming from somewhere else. Please get some real musicians in there or start a separate podcast where you just interview muscians.

Sign in to follow this