27 others

I need to buy gear for a travelling multi-person podcast...

I'm in the enviable position of having a modest budget to buy some equipment to set up a travelling podcast/live radio show. The general idea is that I have a group of students at my college who are doing a specialty subject radio show in their field of study. It's being broadcast on the local campus station.

We want, next year, to start doing the show live, not just from our school (in the student lounge) but also take it on the road to other colleges and get other schools' students and faculty on the show as well. Also to get it put out as a podcast on top of the regular campus radio broadcast.

The station uses Nicecast and a Mac laptop for remote broadcasts, but our crew is quite a bit bigger than what they can accommodate -- five or six people might contribute to a given show. There's also, given that it's a campus station with shared resources, never a great guarantee that equipment will be both available and functional when needed.

I need to propose a budget to buy a dedicated road kit that our radio people can use to set up a 5-6 person live podcast. They don't need the computer but will need a USB mixer and enough mics and stands to accommodate them.

The show is talk-only -- no music, no sound effects.

The last time I bought audio gear, phantom power was a big deal. I don't know from USB mixers and mics and where the sweet spot between price and performance might be for this kind of setup. So I'm looking for recommendations. Got any?

Hey there. I recently transferred from a desktop rig to a travel rig. I found the most useful travel podcasting device is the Zoom H6. Out of the box it has 4 xlr inputs which is a huge bonus. Also for something like $70 you get get an expander module to add 2 more xlr inputs. For mica, I would recommend just getting some SM58s. They run about $100 a piece and for a travel setup they should work fine. If you go this route I would suggest getting some cheap pop filters to go over the mics. If you're looking for higher quality you can get sm7b's but they have a very low output signal and driving the Zoom preamps that hard seem to add a bit of noise, so you would need something like the cloud lifter which boosts your signal with phantom power. But this route just adds another cost. Feel free to ask me any questions about the travel rig.

For mica, I would recommend just getting some SM58s. They run about $100 a piece and for a travel setup they should work fine.

I agree. However, if you really want to save a buck, you can buy several Apex - Multi-impedance Hand Held Dynamic Microphones. They're pretty much the same thing. The Shure SM58s are definitely better in quality, but the Apex will be half the price. If you hit a sale, you can even buy them for $30 a piece.