🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jarrycanada

The Boy Next Door (2015)

Love the gymnastics used to do this movie, but not have J-Lo be a pedo. Yes, it's perfectly reasonable that an adult is in her high school class.

One of the most hilarious things I've heard about this movie is that, in her neighbor's attempt to get her to like him, and seeing as how she's an English teacher, he gives her a first-edition copy of... "The Iliad." (One he bought at a garage sale, no less.) Lots of people on the AV Club were joking that this must mean he gives her Homer's skull.

Sure, our hero is a sex offender in her mid-40s that sleeps with a teenager, but the teenager is totes crazy so everything is alright!

So is there a line of dialog where they establish that the kid is 18?

Yep. I think they establish him as of age in the jurisdiction. Also, he's not yet her student when they have sex, so it's not a "position of trust" situation. I'm basing this on second hand information, though, and haven't seen it myself.

When he said "things got wet", I laughed my ass off. Hope it comes on Netflix soon.

Sure, our hero is a sex offender in her mid-40s that sleeps with a teenager, but the teenager is totes crazy so everything is alright!

This is the synopsis of every Woody Allen movie. Damn, this is the like the fourth time this week, I've talked about him. There's a disturbance in the force.

I remember at the time saying that this looked like a fake movie within a movie, like something that would be a running joke in an episode of "30 Rock". I caught bits and pieces of it at my theater during it's brief run, and I couldn't understand WHY it got made, as it seems like it was a template for a movie of that kind that no one did anything with.

• Like 1

Whoever made it knew something we don't because it made an obscene return on investment: 35M for a mere 4M.

So glad to see this recommendation on the boards. My wife and I went to see Throwing Shade Live last Saturday here in Portland, and Erin Gibson went on a ten minute recommendation-rant for The Boy Next Door, citing it as "...the worst movie available on Netflix right now." Of course, we had to check out the trailer for this film, and damn if it doesn't look delightfully awful. We haven't brought ourselves to watch it yet, but there it is in reserve for our next movie night. Huzzah!

It goes without saying, but if and when HDTGM does this movie, Erin Gibson absolutely has to be the guest. Her energy level alone qualifies her, if not her zeal for the film itself. Also, a review would help clarify exactly - as per the film's trailer - just what part of the female anatomy is/are the "cookies."

There's another one that just came out on DVD that I don't remember the name of right this moment that doesn't look real, yet somehow also has Viola Davis in it. It looks like Jennifer Lopez pretty much just makes parodies of Jennifer Lopez movies now.

When will these GOD DAMN misogynists, patriarchs and slut shamers stop their bullshit, and recognise that hot Latina feminists can fuck who they want, when they want?

• Like 1

There's another one that just came out on DVD that I don't remember the name of right this moment that doesn't look real, yet somehow also has Viola Davis in it. It looks like Jennifer Lopez pretty much just makes parodies of Jennifer Lopez movies now.

I kinda miss Out of Sight-era J. Lo. She was actually pretty great in that film.

• Like 1

I kinda miss Out of Sight-era J. Lo. She was actually pretty great in that film.

She had a good couple of years in there between "Selena", "U-Turn", and "Out of Sight", and then it sort of went to shit around time that she decided to concentrate on music more. Ugh.

This film is officially the next episode instead of Dragonheart!

Sign in to follow this