🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 109.5 — MINISODE 109.5

I always enjoy when they pick a movie that is a train wreck that was made by a legendary filmmaker (or in this case someone who had a lot of success early in his career and struggled to find success late in his career). And holy crap, this is the 2nd from Frankenheimer! He also brought us Reindeer Games.

Also, if you get IFC: Fri, May 15 9:45 AM IFC (234)

If you haven't seen Frankehneimer's film Seconds, it's a very good Face-Off esque film about a man who wants to escape his life so he undergoes a procedure that transforms his look completely but with a very dark twist. It's starring Rock Hudson and there's a thinly veiled theme that can be viewed as being a closeted homosexual wanting to live as an open one.

• Like 3

I think the Castor and Pollux in Hunger Games are -- like the ones in Face-Off -- named after the twin brothers from two different fathers (Tyndareus and Zeus) in Greek and Roman mythology. Some straight-up Maury shit there.

I want to propose another theory. FACE/OFF's Castor was the greatest character ever created in the history of time. A time traveller goes back to ancient Greece and tells this story. Then Suzanne Collins names her characters after the myth, because she's got all those mythological references. But what she doesn't know is that she's actually named her characters after Nicolas Cage (and the other guy) who were the inspiration for the myth.

And when Nicolas Cage dies he wil literally ascend to the constellation named after Castor and Pollux (Gemini, the Twins) and become a LITERAL Hollywood star.

• Like 4

I want to propose another theory. FACE/OFF's Castor was the greatest character ever created in the history of time. A time traveller goes back to ancient Greece and tells this story. Then Suzanne Collins names her characters after the myth, because she's got all those mythological references. But what she doesn't know is that she's actually named her characters after Nicolas Cage (and the other guy) who were the inspiration for the myth.

And when Nicolas Cage dies he wil literally ascend to the constellation named after Castor and Pollux (Gemini, the Twins) and become a LITERAL Hollywood star.

Someone alert the time police!

LlDLly6.jpg

• Like 3

Oh yeah it has some good moments. Cars jumping from building to building being one.

..And did you see The Rock in this movie?! He's a real-life Terminator. He's so damned huge that I really felt he could pick up cars and 1-ton machine guns.

The Rock is the best part of the movie. He's only in it for, like, 10 minutes total, but every single shot of him is pure gold. The "Daddy's gotta go to work" scene is one of my favorite things ever.

• Like 1

this hasnt happened for a while but does anyone living outside the US (im in ireland) know where i can stream this? cant find it anywhere. Its even hard to find on DVD, unless i pay 20 quid for it, and i cant do that so this might be the first ep i skip.

Have you tried iTunes? It's also available to rent on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBEUp46NSc

Also, I would like to point out that the poster for this movie has Brando and Kilmer side by side making a very similar face:

e0iUVR2.jpg

Flash forward a couple of decades to:

fkBgAgQ.jpg

So, my question is this: During the filming of this film did Marlon Brando inject some of his DNA into Val Kilmer?

• Like 8

THANK YOU! This isn't even available on DVD on Netflix, which is really unusual for a big studio movie.

This probably goes without saying, but check to see what number IFC is on your service. I just copied the info from IMDB.

Have you tried iTunes? It's also available to rent on YouTube.

yeah, tried both but i live in ireland and for some reason warner dont want us to rent it. cant get it on youtube here and its listed as 20 quid on itunes. thats too much. youd think in 2015 all these regional issues would be sorted for movies from 1996.

thanks for the reply though. ill keep an eye out in the bargin bins. or it might turn up on tv sometime.

Why does terry gilliam get such short shrift? He is in the movie too! Now I have to watch the documentary too, I didn't even know that existed!

LlDLly6.jpg

Now that we have broken the prohibition on doing amazing movies, hopefully this will get its week in the sun!

• Like 2

aa7x9k.jpg

almost forgot that big hand over tum.

I was kind of thinking the samething about, the face off/ The Island of Dr. Moreau poster. Looking at Val Kilmer's gut. it all just clicked into place.

• Like 4

This probably goes without saying, but check to see what number IFC is on your service. I just copied the info from IMDB.

This also probably goes without saying, but I don't need to check since I watch CBB every week.

• Like 1

I think I've almost recreated the full HDTGM poster.. Just really wanted to see if I could do it.

The original poster for this podcast is a masterpiece.

oa6vq0.jpg

I Didn't just take the how did this get made poster and paste over it, I totally re-created it.

LlDLly6.jpg

Lando that is one big ass gun. Is that from time cop?

Oh yeah, I saw it. Fast Five is still the high water mark, but this one had tons of bonkers moments in its own right.

I second the bonkers. There's about 30 minutes of mind numbing exposition meant to ramp up the melodrama - then it's pure bonkers for almost 2 hours.

You get; Rock v Statham & Cars that can basically do ANYTHING. I pretty much laughed my ass off the whole movie.

I screamed out of joy driving to work this morning when Paul read my omission, and the fact that I made him laugh twice makes me so happy in my inside parts, but I can't take credit for the name. It was something Howard Kremer said on a recent episode of Who Charted? that tickled all of my funny bones.

• Like 2

make sure you listen to the Val Kilmer episode of Inside the Actors Studio. He tells a couple good stories about filming this movie.

• Like 3

Lando that is one big ass gun. Is that from time cop?

The one and only. It's probably hard to tell though since you can't see his futuristic mullet all the way from the distant year 2004.

• Like 2

Starting it now...coincidentally, I was listening to another podcast that was talking about the disaster of making this film.

Should be interesting, to say the least!

The one and only. It's probably hard to tell though since you can't see his futuristic mullet all the way from the distant year 2004.

i imagine the design of that gun coming from a producer saying "yeah, take a regular gun, like a machine gun, and then put MORE GUN on it. yeah!"

• Like 3

i imagine the design of that gun coming from a producer saying "yeah, take a regular gun, like a machine gun, and then put MORE GUN on it. yeah!"

It's like if Rob Liefeld did prop design.

• Like 4

Just finished watching this for the first time in years, and I've gotta say, I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Manimal isn't at least brought up during the episode...

I just ordered this on blu...without checking Youtube. BUT! I have been trying to find this film for years, and so I do not regret this purchase. I am sure it will be well worth my time. I mean, the book is fantastic.

(Also, first post).

• Like 1

I just ordered this on blu...without checking Youtube. BUT! I have been trying to find this film for years, and so I do not regret this purchase. I am sure it will be well worth my time. I mean, the book is fantastic.

(Also, first post).

If it's from amazon they will take it back no questions asked. They are very good on returns. sometimes they just credit you and tell you not to waste your time returning it. ;)

Like the lifetime books collection. that's a movie your going to treasure for years to come.

and it makes a great gift.

• Like 1