🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Dear Scott, Scott, Engineer Cody to be named, and fellow Utalkers:

I recently found myself watching the Nicolas Cage-headlining evangelical rapture drama "Left Behind." Never mind the combination of alcohol, insomnia and general masochism that led me to begin watching the film on Netflix one night. It's a plot point early on that pilot Nicolas Cage is planning to cheat on his wife with a hot flight attendant by getting her tickets to a rock concert. The band? Why, 'tis none other than those lovable lads from Liverpool themselves: Hugh-2.

The band doesn't appear in the film, nor does it appear that they consented to be mentioned at all. At any rate, the rapture happens before the concert and Bonobos, Thedge, and Larry Mullen Sr.'s son were no doubt whisked away to busk in the cloud kingdom (I was never sure about that Adam Clay2000lbs).

My question is: what does U2 represent to the evangelical Christian filmmakers and the intended conservative Christian audience? Is the Irish band's association with Cage's intended debauchery meant to represent a castigation of the Catholic Church for losing its way? Or is the band simply meant to represent (high quality) rock 'n' roll excess as a sign of sinfulness? Or is it just the first cool band the writers thought of?

I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

I am probably not the right person to answer your question but I have a few friends who consider themselves progressive Christians and from what I gather, yes, in some contemporary Christian circles U2 is considered a Christian band. I concede that Bono's faith does seem to inform a lot of his lyrics, but I don't believe, as my friends do, that every U2 song is an overtly religious/Christian interpretation of God's word. Some of my friends were at last night's show and later posted on Facebook that it was like a religious service for them. So, whether or not you choose to interpret their songs through that lens, it's definitely very much a thing in a certain subset of U2 fandom.

I read in Rolling Stone that Sexy Boots (Getting them on, that is) is based on this passage:

Ephesians 6:15-17King James Version (KJV)

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

• Like 1

From "Pride" to "Preparation of the gospel of peace" (being shod with it, that is)...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this