🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 110 — The Island of Dr. Moreau

Omission, but really more just a crazy fact: director of Dust Devil and Hardware, Richard Stanley, was fired from Dr. Moreau which was his project that he had worked on and obsessed over for years. It was rumored that he snuck back onto the set as an extra in order to observe and sabotage production. In his own words, when nothing else worked, he turned to black magic and witchcraft. He later made a documentary in 2002 called The White Darkness, about voodoo in Haiti.

This is true, although I'm not sure about the part about sabotaging the production. There was recently a documentary made about the making of this film called Lost Soul where Richard Stanley talks about sneaking back onto the set, as well as all the insanity involved with the production. It's not the best made documentary, but the anecdotes discussed in it are incredible. Here's the trailer:

EDIT: How do we embed videos in the post?

• Like 2

Yay! June is back. Boo Jason is gone.

I was surprised that you guys didn't talk about the musical chairs of casting this movie. I watched the documentary last night and they said it was Brando as Moreau, Bruce Willis (!!) as the castaway, and James Woods as Moreau's assistant-dude. I was so shocked that they had gotten these actors to agree to do this movie. Because, although the documentary seems to imply that Richard Stanley was a brilliant filmmaker driven to the brink by uncaring Hollywood, I thought he seemed crazy from the jump.

Then Willis dropped out (because of his divorce from Demi?) and Kilmer took his spot. But then Kilmer was also served divorce papers and wanted to spend 40% less time in the middle of nowhere. So they gave him James Woods's part and hired Rob Morrow to play the castaway. But he saw the writing on the wall and managed to get out by calling the head of the studio. Fairuza Balk also wanted out but was told she'd never work again by her reps.

The documentary led me to the conclusion that Dr Joel from Northern Exposure is actually the true visionary, because he LEFT.

• Like 1

A mild correction, but Matthew Broderick and Penelope Anne Miller talked about Brando using the earpiece on The Freshman, which came out in 1990. So by the time this movie rolled around he had been doing it for quite a while.

• Like 2

Hey Everyone,

Just a Quick Clarification...The release dates haven't changed. The actual schedule is supposed to be Fridays for both. The Minis getting released later have really been due to an insane shooting schedule, I've been dealing with and I've been a bit swamped during the week. So a few have come out later than they were supposed to. It should get back on track. I figured it's better to hit the Big Ep dates then push them too.

-P

• Like 18

Hey Everyone,

Just a Quick Clarification...The release dates haven't changed. The actual schedule is supposed to be Fridays for both. The Minis getting released later have really been due to an insane shooting schedule, I've been dealing with and I've been a bit swamped during the week. So a few have come out later than they were supposed to. It should get back on track. I figured it's better to hit the Big Ep dates then push them too.

-P

It's okay, we still love you Paul! Keep up the good work my friend.

Thanks for the clarification Paul!

KNEEL BEFORE SHEER'S CLARIFICATION!

zod.gif

ht4IwsQ.jpg

• Like 11

Hey Everyone,

-P

I bet Nic Cage has been keeping Paul late on the set of Army of One to talk to him one-on-one and try to explain some of his acting choices so that Paul will love and appreciate his work... Even more than he already does.

I guess you could call Marlon Brando a pot head in this movie.

2ey7y1f.jpg

I knew all of his outfits are all of his own creations.

• Like 2

The name Azazello, the name of the mutant who shoots the Puma-man and later kills Val Kilmer, is a derivation of the name Azazel, who--according to some legends--was a fallen Angel who later became a Demon. I only bring this up as a tip for anyone out there nurturing the dream of one day setting themselves up as a God on some remote tropical island. Please at least consider that naming one of your followers after a being who rebelled against Heaven, might not be the best idea. At the very least, you can't really be shocked when they make their move to usurp your throne. It's kind of like naming your daughter "Emerald Jade" and being surprised when she grows up to be a stripper.

On an unrelated note: I share Paul's experience of Major League 2 being the movie where I realized that not every movie was good. What a disappointment that was! Let's take this successful, R-rated movie and make a family friendly, PG-rated sequel. There's no way that can go wrong...

• Like 3

I was surprised you guys didn't talk about my favorite line in the movie, when Montgomery says to one of the manimals, "I want to go to dog heaven!", and promptly dies. Why on earth would he say that? I don't understand. But maybe I'm not meant to, since I assume it was one of Kilmer's improvs. Nevertheless, this may be one of the greatest last words of any character in cinematic history. I want it on a t-shirt, for reals.

• Like 3

Lo-Mai was hired by the Food Network to be the Chairman on Iron Chef.

• Like 3

A mild correction, but Matthew Broderick and Penelope Anne Miller talked about Brando using the earpiece on The Freshman, which came out in 1990. So by the time this movie rolled around he had been doing it for quite a while.

James Caan also revealed that he would actually write lines on the extras' heads, and even went as far as sticking post-it notes on Caan's face when they were making the Godfather so he could remember his lines, whilst still looking like he was actually talking to the person he was in a scene with.

• Like 3

when in space!

2nrotvq.jpg

fixed some image problems, caused some other problems. can't win.

in the nicolas cage version of superman, he yells out, Yeah! when he flys by the screen.

• Like 6

I watched the entire movie thinking David Thewlis was Michael Palin (whom I called Terry Gilliam on the mini-sode forum)... I am ashamed...

Lo-Mai was hired by the Food Network to be the Chairman on Iron Chef.

Also played Jimmy in the Double Dragon movie. When I saw a video compilation of all of his crazy ingredient introductions, I knew I recognized him from somewhere. It's because I've seen Double Dragon more than anyone should: twice. Also, to Paul, please do an episode for Double Dragon! It takes place in a post-apocalyptic LA in the distant and frightening year of 2007.

• Like 4

Mark Dacascos also starred in the short-lived Crow TV series and was a recurring character on Hawaii Five-0.

PAUL: June is really having a response to this. What is happening, June?

JUNE: Oh, he's so small. (in a whisper) Guys, he's too small.

This reaction SLAYED me.

• Like 12

This reaction SLAYED me.

I could listen to that reaction forever.

• Like 4

This reaction SLAYED me.

Also, did Paul say he was taking a picture of her reaction? Where is that?

• Like 4

Alfonso Cuaron is clearly a fan of this movie because when he needed to cast Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban he though, "Who would be the perfect actor to play the man/animal Remus Lupin... how bout that guy from The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Surprised he didn't pop up in Twilight too.

The movie is allegorical. Think Lost ,but done very poorly. The initial film adaption being called " Island of Lost Souls" really tips this off.

A Doctor, physician of the soul in a philosophical and religious sense, takes animals,who represent people dominated by their bestial nature, and makes them more human. New lost souls appear on the Island who upset the balance, and the beast-men who have never fully overcome their animal side take advantage and rebel destroying the doctor. The beats are lost after this point in Dr. Moreau, because it was handed off to people who didn't care.

However, if you put lost in Chronological order, which I won't do to avoid spoilers, it is essentially the same story, without the heavy handedness of making the people controlled by the baser part of their nature literal animals. You could essentially reverse engineer the beats from Lost to Dr. Moreau.